Writing Difficulties by Allison Symes

Image Credits: Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

Hang on, folks, the almost eternal January is nearly over! Fresh year, new start and all that but have you run into writing difficulties yet?  

 
I have learned over time every writer has writing difficulties so it isn’t just us, though it may feel like it. Knowing what can trigger finding writing a struggle is good to know. The chief one for me is over-tiredness.

 
When I feel like this, I ease off. I focus on little bits of writing and increase my reading. The former helps me feel good I’ve written something (and often you need a morale boost at these times). The latter relaxes me. Being relaxed helps me write more later. 
 
I also get plenty of sleep.  Once I could write into the small hours. Not any more. Am not sorry. I’ve found regular hours at a more sensible time works better.
 

Remember this is temporary. You love writing. We all get tired. If you are over tired a break is what you do need. The break will benefit your writing when you return to it again. Note I say when.

I’ve talked about outlining before but it is a great way to overcome another writing difficulty - boxing yourself in. I outline my characters and work out what they are likely to face. 

Sometimes I stick to this rough road map. Sometimes I veer off. I have found having this is like having a comfort blanket. I know I’ve got something in my ideas. I’ve already sorted out potential problems with the character/their situation. 

The map can be as detailed or not as you see fit. It is a question of working out what you need to know to make the story work. I need to know my characters and their major traits. Ideas often emerge as a result of working this out. Why? Well, if I’ve got a character who is pompous, I’m likely to put them in a situation where that backfires.

One writing difficulty which is lovely to have is where you have more than one idea. All are good ideas. All are ideas you are keen to write up. Problem then? Working out which to do first. 

 
I use deadlines as my guide here. I always go for the nearest and remind myself I have the other great ideas to look forward to writing up later. Where there is no deadline as such, because I’m drafting something for future submission, I pick what I think the strongest idea is and go with that first. This is a nice problem to have. I wish I had it more often!

 
The biggest tip I can give is not to beat yourself up when you face writing difficulties. I think it is a case of working out the best way to handle these for you and your circumstances. The support and understanding of other writers makes a big difference and is one reason why ACW is here - for us to support one another.



Comments

  1. Lovely post Allison! Thanks again for the encouragement and the very helpful tips given to help out for difficult situations. You are right that writers can get very tired! Sometimes because of ill health, age or life happens!! Yet, we must encourage ourselves in the Lord when all else fails. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Olusola. Allison

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Having too many ideas is a lovely problem to have, but you're right, it can stop you from writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true to life post, Allison. Tiredness, anxiety, sticky keys, other demands/interruptions...all killers of the energy needed to get back into that strange 'flow' of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good advice here. Thank you Allison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Allison, very encouraging post. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment