Two Good Reads



 The last time I read a post about book recommendations, I ended up buying three new books (I had to use up Audible points) but I enjoyed it so much, I thought I’d share a couple of good books that I’ve read with you.


One is a graphic novel written for children (easily enjoyed by adults), and it tells the true story of Omar Mohamed and his experience as a refugee following the war in Somalia. I’m not really a graphic novel sort of person but it is a new book on our year 5 reading list and I felt I should read it before using it with the children. I didn’t realise how emotive and poignant a graphic novel could be, nor how much detail the brief words and fairly simple illustrations can convey. When Stars are Scattered is written by both Victoria Jamieson, a graphic novelist, and Omar Mohamed, the protagonist. 


The story starts with Omar and his disabled younger brother Hassan in one of the neighbouring blocks of an enormous refugee camp on the daily hunt for their missing mother. They hurry back to their own block before dark because being in a part of the camp where nobody knows you is dangerous. They were separated from their mother seven years ago when soldiers attacked their village. A kind neighbour protected them and travelled with them to a refugee camp where they have been ever since looking for their mother but watched by Fatima, their foster mum. The book describes refugee life and how the boys survived and even prospered but I warn you, you will be shocked. This book spares no feelings! Once I picked this book up, I couldn’t put it down. It is a must for adults and children alike. 


The other is a book by an author called Irene Nemirovsky and I cannot believe I’ve never encountered this writer before. Born in Kiev, Nemirovsky and her family fled the Russian Revolution in 1918 and settled in France where she wrote several novels about life in France during the time of the world wars before she died in Auschwitz in 1942.  All Our Worldly Goods is a love story set in an insignificant provincial seaside town where small-mindedness, pettiness, and social judgment are rife. Beautifully and cleverly written, Nemirovsky captures French, provincial culture perfectly and reminds me of a World War Jane Austin. What strikes me most of all is that the author is practically writing this as it happens in real life. She describes the fear of war, how this changes the everyday people, and the reality of the occupation. Originally written in French but very well translated. Another book that I could not put down. 


I’d love to hear your favourite reads over the recent festive period.


Comments

  1. I am certainly interested in this second book. In complete contrast, my favourite read over the festive season is 'What is Poetry' by Michael Rosen. It's good for older children and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brendan, I'll check out the Michael Rosen book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! All Our Worldly Goods: another 'must-read' book! You had me even with the name of the author somehow, Irene Nemirovski. But the description of the book...I'm on my way to Waterstones...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love and dread book recommendations, for obvious reasons, haha. These sound great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Nikki! Thanks for the recommended books. Feel tempted to try them. My favourite read I read before the festive season but stayed strongly on my mind is Rob Seabrook's,' Beneath the tamarisk tree'. It's a great read too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these sound so tempting, Nikki, especially the graphic novel. For me, it was Robert Galbraith's novel Troubled Blood that I was reading, and still am reading, as it's such a massive book. And I finally opened a gift from Eva, of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy set, which will be a great contrast and I'm looking forward too. Glad to hear you used up your audible points x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment