BEES AND BLESSINGS by Liz Manning

 

This is my farewell post after exactly 5 years on the ACW blog. I’ve been very grateful for the opportunity and all that it’s given me: confidence, discipline, practice, friendships. But when I came to the end of my MA last year, I wondered if it was time to for a new stage in my writing journey and when I got an email from Rosemary offering the possibility of long termers to step down, I took it as confirmation from God that now was the time to let someone else have the blessings I’ve had here.

So, what do I write about in a final blogpost? In the words of Hollow Talk, the evocative theme tune of The Bridge:

‘everything/goes back to the beginning’.

In my very first ACW post I wrote about beekeeping and the idea of how God ‘keeps’ us. I promised a later post about how we writers are wordkeepers – but I notice I never wrote it. Time to come good on my promise. But, as my writing has developed over the past 5 years, I’ll do so with a poem:

 

Words   buzz around    my mind    waggle      on the page

As I try to decipher the direction, the destination they are leading me to.

Sometimes they swarm

In a mass murmuration

(Other times, one slowly leads to another     and another     and another).

My job is to follow and capture them in a sack,

Pour them into my mind’s hive

Where they can make their home

And build their comb cities hexagon upon hexagon,

communities of words hanging on page frames.

Eventually I will extract their honey with a centrifuge,

 jar it in books,

And distil wax into golden light.

 

I also gave you a beekeeper’s blessing in my first post, which puts me in mind of a Biblical blessing, a favourite passage of mine, in Numbers ch. 6, where God gives Aaron (via Moses) and his sons words with which to bless the Israelites.

It’s words that my parents said often to me (and my brother too I’m sure), words that I have said over my children and still do. We had the congregation say them to me and my husband when we renewed our wedding vows. I have to admit to adding an extra phrase of our own to help make the meaning clear, because how else does a face shine but with a smile?

So it seems apt to end my last post, as I did my first, with a blessing, that also refers back to God as our keeper:

The Lord bless you and keep you.

The Lord make His face to shine upon you

And be gracious to you.

The Lord lift up His countenance upon you

Smile at you

And give you peace.



Liz Manning lives in Cornwall and has a Creative Writing MA from Plymouth University. She is a visual poet and enjoys taking part in poetry nights. She’s had pieces published in INK and The Jesse Tree Anthology.  And she has rashly agreed to revive a local community literary festival this year so look out for news of Looe Literary Festival!

You can find examples of her visual poetry at https://lizmanning.me  along with a link to her blog at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/ .

Comments

  1. That's a lovely poem, Liz. I'll continue to follow your writing journey on your personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to see you go Liz. Such a beautiful poem, I do like the waggle dance spacings and the whole imagery. May God continue to bless you and all that your hands find to do. Ecclesiastes 9:10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendan. I might be picking your brains in the next months about running a literary festival!

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet you! Loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your blessing over everyone! Thank you for your generosity to others of us newbies. I hope we will continue your high standards of contribution. May God's countenance shine light on your path forward too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I look forward to seeing all that you newbies come up with.

      Delete
  5. Michael Cronogue14 January 2024 at 19:04

    Lovely post Liz see you in Looe sometime hopefully at the Literature Festival

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. News coming soon re the festival

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your lovely post! Love the poem, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Liz! Thanks for such a graet poem and your prayers. You will be so missed here on the blog! May you find your new pasture even greener to G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad to go, Sophia, but God us already opening up new paths. Isn't He wonderful?

      Delete
  8. May you find your new pasture even greener to God's glory. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment