Audiobooks – Why and How? by Brendan Conboy

Author, Kevin Elliott recording his book 'See Miracles'

Have you considered publishing your books as audiobooks? One reader recently told me that she is a ‘purest’ and as such, prefers printed books. I tend to agree with her but perhaps this is an age thing. The majority of people who buy audiobooks are aged 18 to 45. Perhaps the question should be – Do you want to reach this generation with your writing?

As for me, I have recently ventured into this brave new world, with the question – Why not? Granted, for me, it may seem less daunting, as I have worked on and off in recording studios since a young age. This experience and knowledge is now rather useful once again.

Why publish audiobooks?

Do your research and you will see that this is a rapidly growing marketplace. If you are not convinced, allow me to share some of my research.

·     The global audiobook market size was valued at $5,095.69 million in 2022 and was expected to reach $5,897 million in 2023. It is projected to reach $42,268.26 million by 2031, growing at a CAGR of 26.5% during the forecast period (2023–2031). Source: Straits Research.

 

·        Audible has over 50 Million Paid Subscribers.

·     Audible has a 63.4% market share in the audiobook publishing category in the United States.

·        The average amount of time spent listening to audiobooks per day is 41 minutes.

·        32% of people read two or three books per month. Source: Online Dasher

 

·        As of May 2023, audible.co.uk has 6.1 million visits/year. Source: Good e-reader.

 

·        In 2020, the audiobook market grew by 71% compared to the same first 6 months of 2019. Source: Neilson

 

·        Barnes and Noble says, “By offering an audiobook alongside your print and e-book versions, you open the doors to reach a new audience. Those who may not have discovered your work otherwise. This increased accessibility can help you expand your readership and gain loyal fans.”

 

How to publish audiobooks?

This is what I have learnt, I am sure I have even more to learn (don’t we all).

Without going into too much technical detail you have a few options:

1.     Open a ‘Rights Holder’ account with ACX (Audible) and claim your book titles (any of your ebooks). You can find a narrator/producer via ACX by uploading your project/book for auditions. You can state your budget for FRH (Finished Recording Hour) or offer a royalty share to the producer/narrator.

2.     Find an independent studio that can record your audio files for you. They can use one of their narrators, who you choose (beware some use emotion-enhanced AI). The cheapest that I have found charges £90+VAT per FRH. A 70,000-word novel could be 10 FRH = £1,080 inc. VAT

3.     If you want to narrate your own book you have two options – a) Find an independent studio or b) Learn how to do it yourself.

a)    If you can find a studio as cheap as £25/hr, you need to know that it could take 2 hours of recording time to produce 1 FRH. A 70,000-word novel could be 10 FRH = £500

b)    To record, produce and process yourself - you will inevitably already have a suitable computer. You may also have to invest £200 or £300 on additional equipment and learn how to use it to achieve the required ACX standard.

4.     I self-publish so I opt for this last option as I have the skill and the equipment. It has also enabled me to audition as a narrator for other author’s books and invite authors to spend a few days with me, as we produce their books together. If you are planning a week in the Cotswolds, you could combine your stay with part of your time in the studio.

 

If you have a publisher, you could perhaps have a conversation with them to see if they would like to produce your audiobook.

 

If you would like to do it completely DIY, I would be glad to mentor anyone on this venture.


Brendan Conboy aka Half Man Half Poet is the author of 16 published books including two fascinating autobiographies, The Golden Thread and I'm Still VALUED.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 6 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Brendan is available for speaking events, poetry performances and workshops.  Visit Brendan's website HERE.


Comments

  1. Thanks Brendan, very interesting. As I understand it there is a significant decline in traditional reading, particularly among younger generations. However, those same people are consuming vast amounts of material, just in different formats which includes audio. It also provides an accessible alternative to anyone who is unable to read for any reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely David, if you want to reach that younger demographic, this is the way to go. We live in a busy society and people are more often multi-tasking, whilst listening to music or audiobooks.

      Delete
  2. nicolawilkinsoncss@gmail.com26 January 2024 at 13:28

    Brilliant article thank you for all the thoughts and research that went into this. Funnily enough I have one audio book and it’s about writing! My daughter listens to them a lot while she sews. She has a clothes business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicola, your daughter is exactly the target audience that audiobooks are aimed at. It would be difficult to sew and read a paperback at the same time.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this Brendan. Audio books are just the thing for anyone on the go or very busy with little time to read. Your offer to help people produce audio books is wonderful, as many of us would not know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Veronica, we live in a busy world. I found it mind-boggling at first, then one person pointed me in the right direction.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Great post, Brendan! Thank you. I love your courage and bravery into venturing into all these mountain giants despite the health challenges you sometimes face! God is faithful: You have done poetry challenges - a poem every day for 2 months, editing course, etc and then DIY audio books!! I sure would love mentoring. Getting my books into audio is one of my future plans. You are so inspiring and you love to always share your knowledge, skills and experiences. God bless you. I am encouraged by the testimonies above. I guess I may have to wait for he summer when my voice is at its best. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I always tend to look at things as natural (or supernatural) progression. It doesn't seem so challenging when God walks alongside us and we combine are transferable skills. Let me know if you would like to chat at any time.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing! I would love to record my books, but it's been too daunting for now... Will have a think...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maressa, you probably have the equipment if you did a podcast. I could teach you but you do need peace, quiet and a techy head.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this post Brendan it’s really helpful. Actually, quite a few people asked me if my book was on Audio, and I didn’t actually realise just how many people today love audio books. So definitely something to think about. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derrice, if you would like to chat through this, please give me a shout.

      Delete

Post a Comment