Essays in empathy

(Guest Post.  Posted by Rosemary Johnson on behalf of Stephen Poxon)

Empathy: 

The ability the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. 

My little old mum, all 4'11" of her, will, God-willing, be 90 in approximately two-and-a-half years' time. Throughout my fifty-eight-year experience of being her son, I have only known her to be unwell twice; once with flu in the 1970s, and again when we lost Dad suddenly, and shock and grief played havoc with her sodium levels. 

I mention this because, at this time of writing, I am convalescing from surgery. I'm fine (please don't feel obliged to send chocolates), but I have spent the last few weeks in some pain. It's no big deal, but it did lead to a conversation between Mum and I during which she remonstrated with herself for what she admitted was her failure to demonstrate empathy towards Dad when he was ill and, as it transpired, dying. 

Mum is stoic, and doesn't overdo empathy. For example, I broke my arm when I was a kid, but it wasn't until twelve hours later that Mum (somewhat reluctantly) took me to the doctor. I had spent those intervening hours with my snapped arm in a makeshift sling made from my Salvation Army Junior Soldier's tie. 

Mum deeply regretted not having shown her ailing husband more compassion. She explained that her lack of understanding of personal physical pain had led her to dismiss many of his concerns. Her inexperience as a patient caused her to be impatient with Dad. In what was quite a heart-to-heart, prompted by seeing me in pain, she berated what had been her attitude. Her regret was almost tangible. 

Such is life, and we all look back in similar ways from time to time. Curiously, though, I now find myself at pains (pun intended) to at least try to etch an appropriate degree of empathy into what I write; poetry, stories, Facebook posts, articles, sermons and letters. It occurs to me that for some reason it hasn't often featured in my scribblings, and although I can't specifically locate empathy in my Bible as a spiritual gift, I am inclined to think it's an underrated hallmark of discipleship and Christian maturity. St Paul encourages us to bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2), and we, as writers, have plenty of opportunities to do just that; not so much in what we write, perhaps, but in how we write it, with an empathetic flavour that might just help someone along their way. 

Furthermore, I am reminded that God wastes nothing, not even the unpleasant fact of pain. It is, let's be honest, an unwelcome tutor in the classroom of life, but if its fruit is empathy then that can only be a good thing for all concerned. 

Comments

  1. Some wonderful reflective thoughts on empathy here, Stephen. I often consider though, how many of us truly can understand the feelings of another? I've always described empathy as, walking in another person's mocassins, as then you feel every stone and every contour of the shoe. A young missionary friend working with street kids in Brazil told me. We can walk alongside people who are in pain but never fully understand it. He has a wise head for his young years. I sympathise with your pain and pray you heal fast and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind and encouraging feedback. Stephen.

      Delete
  2. I think the best way to show empathy is to listen to a person and let them talk, and not to intervene with your own story or, even worse, give advice. So many people find this incredibly challenging. If you listen carefully and with attention, you will learn the best way to support the person. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It's an important skill. Thank you. Stephen.

      Delete
  3. Very perceptive post, and I'm in full agreement that empathy is an 'underrated hallmark of discipleship and Christian maturity.' Deep listening can also be underrated - we hear a lot about its importance, but it takes discipline to hold back our own thoughts and opinions/advice without interruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. Thanks for the helpful reminder. Stephen.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephen, may God breathe His healing power over you. I also pray that your mum does not dwell too deeply in regret over what she didn't do or did! We all find it difficult to adequately understand other people's feelings unless we are in their shoes or have an understanding of that pain or experience. God uses such situations to teach and train us. Empathy is a good theme to explore in our writings as well.Most people understand sympathising but not empathising! Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! It's what I enjoy about books, I realised when reading your blog. It's where you get to experience the other person's feelings and explore them in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very relevant for me. Timely. Thank you. I err towards stoicism!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment