Happy New Year and Goodbye! by Sheila Johnson

 2024 is a new year of opportunity for all of us, both in our Christian lives and in our writing. 

Each year, like some others, I ask God for a word for the year. Last year that word was 'Challenge' and so it turned out to be a year of challenge. 

There were a couple of health challenges for me with falling over at the end of May and badly breaking my wrist. This was followed by an operation to have it pinned and plated and a period of rest. It was great during this time to catch up with those DVD's you think you might look at 'one day' including the Crown - well that day had come. Also, a great time to catch up with my reading pile. However, I note that since Christmas and my December birthday, the pile is much as it used to be now!

Although my books aren't quite as well organised as these!

Then in the autumn, I had a gynaecological problem which got me down but has now been resolved. 

This year the word I feel is 'New Horizons'. This doesn't mean it will be a year without problems. We have a close family member who has just been diagnosed with cancer. However, it is going to mean a few changes with my writing. 

For a start this is my final post for 'More than writers'. Time to give someone else in the ACW the chance to blog monthly. I'm also looking for more speaking opportunities, especially with the latest book I edited and collaborated on - Bible Reflections from a life devoted to the poor by Dr Jember Teferra - and I'm thinking of writing a new book, a kind of memoir with a slightly fictional flavour. Not sure yet. 

This is also the year my husband finally retires fully - he has been part time for the last few years. So I know this is going to mean a few changes and readjustments in our lives.

I have loved the challenge each month of thinking of something 'writerly' to say but now I pass on the mantle to another.  Thanks for the opportunity ACW. You can still follow me on my own website though - see below




Sheila Johnson lives in Cheltenham and is a qualified journalist who has written for a number of publications both local and national. She has also written two books under her pen name Sheila Donald, Alpha Male and Waireka and recently edited and published, Bible Reflections from a life devoted to the poor by Dr Jember Teferra. Her website can be found at www.journojohnson.com


Comments

  1. Thanks for all your MTW blogs, Sheila! I hope 2024 brings fresh blessing and opportunities x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. Apparently now I have left I have become anonymous!

      Delete
  2. That certainly has been some challenges, Sheila. New Horizons sounds exciting. Enjoy more time with Angus and step out on the road to new discoveries. I will miss your MTW blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful phrase for the start of the year, and you've passed on the baton so well. I can imagine you setting out on your journey refreshed, with a full back pack of goodies and excited at all the adventures ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful theme for the year! Looking forward to seeing what you will write next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post , Sheila! Thanks for all your lovely blogs! You will surely be missed. May God richly bless you as you cross over to new horizons in your life.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you blessings for your writing projects ahead, Sheila, and hoping I might see you at Society of Authors Gloucestershire meetings when the days get longer and spring is here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment