Why I call myself a writer


This is my first blog for More than Writers, so let me introduce myself: I’m Kathryn, a Christian, a wife and mother, a reader, gardener and organizer. And a writer.

I have an enquiring mind (so I like to say; my children say I’m nosey!). I also have a history degree, an out-of-date teaching qualification and have previously worked for the Church of England, the Methodist church and the Baptist church. I currently have a part-time, paid job as an invigilator and several unpaid roles: taxi-driver, PA, housekeeper and adviser to 2 sporty teenagers; church leader, occasional language tutor. And writer.

The last one is always tagged on, despite writing being the thing I have to do. The thing that brings me closest to my true self. If I can’t write for any length of time I feel out of sorts and wobbly in my inmost being. I have to write. I was created to write.

But I have little to show for it. No shelves of books with my name on (just one, co-authored, more years ago than I care to remember). No income, no reviews; lots of rejections, but who’s boasting about those? If no one is reading what I write, am I even a writer at all?

And I don’t like to talk about what I write, especially with non-writers. I’m very private and it’s very personal. I don’t mean I write memoir or autobiography, or anything that clearly reveals who I am. But creating something is a giving of oneself; writing feels like a sharing of my soul. I don’t want to answer clumsy questions about it.

The result is, I rarely admit to people that I write.  🤐

But I am trying to change that. As I get older, I feel more comfortable in myself, and more confident in the quality of what I produce. Joining groups of other writers has helped too. I’ve discovered I’m not alone in my diffidence; but that at the same time, there are people who exude confidence and proclaim themselves as writers with much less to show for it than I have. And that even those people sometimes question whether they can do it; or if it’s a legitimate use of their time. Maybe doubt is part of writing, in the same way as doubt is part of faith. And working through those doubts brings us to a place of renewed conviction, and renewed trust in our Creator.

I call myself a writer because that is what I am and what I believe I was created and gifted to be. And that is more important than vast readership or glowing reviews.

Although I would still like a small shelf of books featuring my name!


Comments

  1. Good to meet you, Kathryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Kathryn. I hate promoting myself and my work too. However, I have recently (last August) edited and published (along with another) a book about an amazing Ethiopian ambassador to the poor, Jember Teferra. Now I find I can easily promote and get excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that you're moving out of your comfort zone into blog writing. I also have started writing YA fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you:) Thanks for your encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great debut blog Kathryn, welcome to MTW. I often tell people that I'm a scribe for God. It usually starts a good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all, good to be part of a group of encouraging writers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Kathryn! I think a lot of us can relate to this. Keep on writing, and I hope your YA sees the light of day sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome and thank you for your first post. I love the 'I was created to write'. That so sums up how many of us feel, how I felt for years before I was published. Hope you find lots of encouragement here, where you can openly talk about your writing! and call yourself a writer. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Kathryn. This is exactly how I feel about writing, especially the bit about not wanting to answer clumsy questions about my work, like 'Is it going to be published?' When my book , 'Wodka or Tea with Milk', was eventually accepted for publication (and it was very much eventually, after many rejections), it was very hard to discuss it, especially with close family. They saw me as just Mum but they are actually very proud of me now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathryn,you are warmly welcomed! Thanks for this engaging post. We could be twin sistes from all you shared regarding being open about your writing! Whether a writer has so much to show or very little, there is some times the issue of imposter synrome. I wear a strong mask to shield my vulnerabiity. You are amongst magnificent people, here. You write beautifully and I was engrossed in your post.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great blog! Welcome to my old slot, the 24th of the month. I reckon YA is a pretty strategic area to write in — hoping that doesn’t sound cold and calculating. I just mean that it’s such a formative time. Young adults can be captivated by ideals and virtue, or led off into dark and cynical worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great debut Kathryn, I recognise so much of myself in your words. I look forward to reading your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for all your lovely comments, and for the reassurance that I am not alone. Let's pray we can all find renewed confidence in who we are in God

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderfully honest and beautifully written post, Kathryn. I think imposter syndrome can strike at any stage of the writing process so you are definitely not alone. And I heartily concur with what you say about feeling wobbly when you DON'T write. You are definitely a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing! It's hard not to wave it away, Oh yes, I write as well... Lovely to meet you in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first blog - such a key moment. It's great to read your first MTW blog, Kathryn! When I first started writing for it (the 7th was my slot) I had never published any fiction and never thought I would. But within 6 months, a character idea in one of my blogs had been spotted by an ACW member and now I'm published. It only took 53 years! Be encouraged. God has a perfect plan for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome, Kathryn. I loved this post and recognise that wobbly feeling when you haven't written for a while. Just this week I was finally able to sit down in front of the laptop after about a month of doing a bzillion other things. Debuting here soon too. Glad there's a few newbies starting together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. I also write YA, looking forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post, Kathryn! Many echoes in your post. I have one self-published book from some years ago and a novel I'm fussing over...but writers we are and it's all from above.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome Kathryn. I too am new to Morethanwriters.blog and it is lovely to be part of this wonderful group of people. Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment