What's in a name? By Georgie Tennant

Have you ever been watching or reading the news when a name so apt pops up that it causes you to pause and call everyone around you to check you’re not seeing things? Phil McCann became a Twitter sensation a couple of years back, when he reported from a petrol station forecourt about the national diesel shortage. I have become a bit of an avid collector of amusing names, sharing my enjoyment of them with a friend who loves them just as much as me. One recent favourite was a policeman reporting on accidents on icy roads…his name? PC Skidmore. And another was in an article on rainfall and flood risks…Professor Spray. Keep an eye out – they come up much more often than you might imagine and are hilarious to note.


Another thing about names is that they can change over time. Only those who don’t really know me call me by my full name, Georgina. As a teenager, I was usually “George,” particularly when playing sport as it was quicker to yell or be yelled at! As I got older and entered the working world, I introduced myself to people as “Georgie,” feeling it was more feminine and professional. Funnily though, things have come full circle, as one of my current colleagues is an old friend from volleyball days who still calls me “George.” Others have joined in. I don’t mind at all – it has felt like a pleasantly nostalgic throwback to simpler days.

What names do we call ourselves as writers? We might have monikers we consider to be more positive – wordsmith, author, creator, poet, novelist. We might add positive adjectives to these some days – inspired, inspirational, flourishing or the much-coveted, “published.” Or we might have days when those adjectives are more negative – uninspired, unmotivated, struggling, rubbish, dull, useless.

We are all writers, whichever of the two categories we currently place ourselves in. And if we lean towards placing ourselves in the latter category on a particular day or in a particular season, we must remind ourselves that someone, somewhere, might be reading our words on the very same day and placing us squarely in the first category instead. Our feelings are not facts and we must remind ourselves, regularly that He who gave us the gift of writing in the first place is faithful and will enable our words to flourish in His timing and His way.


Ultimately, the most important things He calls us have nothing to do with writing – chosen, loved, His masterpieces. If we can write from the security of believing these names are more important than all others, our writing will be anointed indeed!

Georgie Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive. She is married, with two sons, aged 15 and 13 who keep her exceptionally busy. She writes for the ACW ‘Christian Writer’ magazine occasionally, and is a contributor to the ACW-Published ‘New Life: Reflections for Lent,’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Everyone.' She has written 8 books in a phonics series, published by BookLife and was a freelance writer for King's Lynn Magazine for a while. She writes the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local newspaper from time to time and also muses about life and loss on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk. Her first devotional book, "The God Who Sees You," was published by Kevin Mayhew in March. https://www.kevinmayhew.com/products/the-god-who-sees-you

Comments

  1. Thank you Georgie, this made me giggle and reminded me of when I was selling life insurance. My card appeared on the Esther Ransom show, when Cyril Fletcher asked the question - Would you trust a Mr. Conboy selling insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wondered whether we should be buying a car from a Mr Crook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our business solicitors are Wright Hassall, though fortunately they don't live up to their name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I know that firm! In Leamington Spa? We used to live there.

      Great post today, Georgie. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. We had some corkers when I worked in hospitals. I can remember Dr Cream, the skin consultant, for one. I wish I could remember the others. And I always wonder about that determinism thing - whether your name either leads you to or away from a certain profession. For instance, if you're born a Baker or a Copper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a Dr Trauma next door at UCH when I worked at UCL. My dentist was called Mr Carver, but my friend topped that with a Dr Blood! The Head of Estates at Exeter Uni when I worked there was Mr Flowers. Great blog Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the humour in your post, and also the message. Maybe it would help if we all tell ourselves we are writers, real writers, not just masquerading as writers, when we wake up each morning. I have to add that, having been shut out of wifi for a few days, I was overjoyed to admit the technical engineer to my house this morning, and watch as he solved the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, George! [sure you don't mind my being cheeky!] Thanks. Most cultures give names according to circumstances of one's birth, family situation or circumstances. It's amazing how some of these names can be amusing, ironical, prophetic or sobering! I write 'Best selling author' in faith and hope even though feelings of mockery and doubt assail me. Some one said,' If a poet says that what he has written is a poem, then it IS a poem and he IS a poet!' I say AMEN to ' Our feelings... and His way' in your post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great read. You are so right about the names we call ourselves as writers. Thank you for the reminder of those lovely words too - that we are God's masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing! I feel some days that calling ourselves some name can be a self fulfilling prophecy... Thank you for reminding us to start each day with the right names!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment