Will anyone read a Boxing Day blog? by Brendan Conboy

Image from Pixabay: Someone holding a gift in a box.

Imagine… As writers, our imaginations can often work in overdrive. When I hear a certain word, see a particular image, or research a certain date; my mind runs riot with imagery, thoughts and ideas. Dates I find particularly interesting and the significance that they bring. My birthday, for instance, is the same date that my parents were married (not the same year) and Anne Boleyn was beheaded (not at the same event, not even the same year).

I know these things because of my interest and the result of some fun research. As writers, we all need to indulge in and enjoy our research, which is why I used the word – ‘fun.’ Do you struggle with research?

I had a little fun researching the name which we use for 26th December. So-called, Boxing Day, is very much a British name, yet also celebrated by some Commonwealth countries; particularly Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. The name originated during Queen Victoria's reign when the rich used to box up gifts to give to the poor. Traditionally, their servants were also given a day off. They would go home and give Christmas boxes to their families.

 

In many European countries, the day is celebrated as St. Stephens Day, when Christians remember the first Christian martyr. This has a religious element, but for many, it is simply a second Christmas Day.

 

Ireland also celebrates St. Stephens Day, although the greater focus is on an ancient Celtic tradition called, Wren's Day, which alludes to popular legends linking periods in the life of Jesus to the small bird. The festival includes hunting the Wren (not a real one now) as it represents the year that has just passed.

 

In America, the 26th December is just another day in December and called, ‘the day after Christmas.’ It is likely that most Americans have never even heard the name, Boxing Day’ and if they did, they may think that it is a day when British families have a punch up – becoming frustrated with the family gathering.

 

If you would like to escape the family time today, why not use the excuse that you need to do some research? Enjoy your Boxing Day, whatever you call it, however you celebrate it and remember – it’s only 364 days until Christmas.


Brendan Conboy aka Half Man Half Poet is the author of 15 published books including two fascinating autobiographies, The Golden Thread and I'm Still VALUED.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 6 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Brendan is available for speaking events, poetry performances and workshops.  Visit Brendan's website HERE.

Comments

  1. Well, I've read your Boxing Day blog, Brendan!
    I've been thinking about 26th traditions - for us it's usually a day to see extended family, although it has now also become a local football derby tradition. But that's a good bonding experience for the cousins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, I hope you all had a great time bonding. Family is so important.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Brendan! Thanks. I don't know where or how I got my idea of Boxing Day being the day to show charity to the less previleged. Also, it is a day to unwrap the xmas gifts under the tree. Which ever, I invited family who could spare time to lunch withh us. I am glad they all came but I feel extremely exhausted! Hope you had a great day. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia, it is good to gather as a family, but as you say can be exhausting. I have certainly felt it. I hope that you all had a great time.

      Delete

Post a Comment