Feel Good Stories



Feel-good stories are not the modern trend either in books or movies. In most minds today a good story must include a cliffhanger, a gory murder and a twist in the tale ending, not to mention the rising curve in the narrative arc. Yes, I’m guilty too. There is nothing better for me than a sit on the edge of your chair thriller. But today I want to share three true life stories with a feel good factor. It is Christmas after all.



So here goes, STORY NUMBER ONE – DRIVING HOME FROM TESCO

 

Suddenly, my husband said, “Let’s stop at the golf club for a burger.”

Relieved I was excused from another mundane household chore, he got an affirmative from me. The grub was good and barely half an hour later, we started to drive left to our house less than a mile further up the road. The road was closed.

“You can’t go up there,” said the friendly policeman, “Freak accident, there’s a tree right across the road. No one caught under it.”

 

This was one of those what if moments. But that’s not the end of the story. Our neighbour and several other enterprising wood-burning enthusiasts of the village arrived on the scene with their chainsaws. (Ours as is usual was out of action, but our trailer came in useful.) Before Highways could assist, most of the road had been tidied!

 


STORY NUMBER TWO – VILLAGE LIFE

The parish council provided a free Christmas two course lunch for the over 60’s in the village with wine/beer. The local pub owner donated the cooked turkey. We all went home with a big slab of Cadbury’s. Arriving late, we were unable to sit with the folk we knew. The last two seats were on a table with a youngish man and a very old lady. Wanting to keep a clean slate, I spoke to the old lady, quite unable to follow her conversation and smiling and nodding as much as I could. At the end of our time together she turned to me and said,

“I’m so glad you sat next to me. I thought I’d go home as quickly as possible but you made it a very pleasant afternoon by talking to me.”

Well I was doing the listening and she was doing the talking but it was great to be complimented.

 

STORY NUMBER THREE – DRIVING HOME FROM TESCO THE SEQUEL

 

By now you must have realized that the visit to Tesco is more or less a daily ritual. A few days ago I was there again. As I veered around the vegetable section, my eyes lit up. That yellow discount sticker was visible. I hesitated for just a moment. Could I commit my afternoon? Yes, armed with loads of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and plums for ten percent of the price, I was a very happy lady.

 

Scraping around for a lick of lemon juice, as the jam sugar had all been used, I produced eight jars of mixed fruit jam, to be gifted to the whosoever.

 

So what’s the point? For me, it is; listen to your inner voice, abandon your routine when appropriate and have a feel-good Christmas.


Reverend Rosalie Weller tries not to take herself too seriously.
Life is too short! She enjoys writing in different genres - 
historical fiction, bible study guides, devotionals and poetry.

She is the Groups' Coordinator for ACW and welcomes any enquiries
about groups at groups@christianwriters.co.uk

 

Comments

  1. Lovely post, Rosalie! Thanks. Enjoyed the feel good stories, especially the village one, being my favourite. Have a blessed Christmas. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know you live in London, as I did once, but I now love villages like the one I live in. But wherever we are as long as the Lord is with us, we need fear nothing, amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment