Favourite Christmas films and their messages by Sheila Johnson



My husband regularly supports the ministry of J.John and the Philo Trust and as a result, he was recently sent a copy of J.John's latest evangelistic book - Christmas at the Movies, which we thought was great. I'd like to share it with you. 


The book lists ten of the favourite Christmas films and J.John finds a Christian message in each and every one of them, from 'a Christmas Carol' to 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. It's a real incentive to watch those you haven't seen before and to re-watch those you have. 

Last night it was the turn of my husband and I to watch 'Home Alone' (after a very busy weekend with our children and grandchildren and in need of a chill). This well-known film is about a boy of eight, Kevin, left alone in his home when his family dash off on holiday and forget about him. We'd not seen it before. 

Originally, Kevin, the boy, wants his family to disappear but after a few days he starts missing them. J.John's message is that this Christmas there will be many people who find their families difficult and that Christmas isn't always the fun, sentimental picture often conjured up for us by the media. But families, however difficult or awkward should still be loved, as God loves each awkward one of us. 

Kevin's neighbour, who seems quite a scary man to Kevin at first, is actually just a lonely old man who has fallen out with his son and lost touch with him over many years. Kevin has learnt not to be afraid of anything, even burglars, in his time alone, and he encourages this man to not be afraid to get back in touch with his son. As a result we see them reunited once more. 

Jesus wants us to include everyone this Christmas, those who are difficult and also those who are on their own without family. I need to tell myself this as much as anyone else. 


Sheila Johnson lives in Cheltenham and is a qualified journalist who has written for a number of publications both local and national. She has also written two books under her pen name Sheila Donald, Alpha Male and Waireka and recently edited and published, Bible Reflections from a life devoted to the poor by Dr Jember Teferra. Her website can be found at www.journojohnson.com


Comments

  1. Great post Sheila! I first encountered J. John when I was part of a PTL audience at the Trinity Broadcasting Network. I've been His fan since then. I like his creative approach to disseminating the gospel. I think his latest book, Christmas at the Movies, will be useful for individuals seeking guidance on choosing Christmas movies. I'm no longer as excited as I used to be about Home Alone, but you did an excellent job highlighting the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Sheila, thanks. I too watched the film and found it very interesting. I also in the last few days wrote the titles of some Christmas songs that ministered to me either with the wordings, messages, the video, the music, atmosphere, etc. There was something in each one that appealed both to my artist's mind and my spirit man, which only the season of Christmas could achieve.I pray with you too that the season will bring peace, love and unity to many families, people and nations where there is conflict and no love. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Sheila, now I want to watch Home Alone again. During my time in youth work, I often used film clips to help to bring a message and this J John one is brilliant. Now I am wondering who I should invite to Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment