The Doctor Will See You Now


Several months ago, I woke up one morning, got out of bed and felt a sharp pain in the sole of my right foot. I hobbled downstairs like an old man, but it soon subsided and I thought no more about it. The next morning, the same thing happened, and the next and the next. This went on for ages, but I did nothing about it. It would probably pass. Most things do. It didn’t. Then it got worse. 

In my typical way, the thought of consulting my GP didn’t even occur to me. What kind of person wastes a doctors’ time with a bit of pain that comes and goes? Everyone in the local Facebook group says you can’t get an appointment for love nor money. Anyway, who needs the help of a highly trained medical professional when you can just Google stuff?   

Time went on and the increasing pain eventually forced me to reconsider my reluctance to speak with the GP. Despite the opinions of the FB group, it was all rather slick. Within a couple of days, I’d had a phone assessment and a week later there I was with my sock off, being told I probably had plantar fasciitis by a friendly GP who seemed perfectly happy to see me. I learned the condition is very common and perfectly treatable with the right advice. 

You see, I have an entrenched mind set that tells me I shouldn’t ask for help. I don’t know where this comes from, but it’s the case. My brain habitually backs this up with some well-worn internal arguments. Everyone’s busy with more important things than helping me. I’m making a fuss about nothing. I shouldn’t need help with this. Dr Steve Peters, the eminent sports psychologist, writes about this in his book, ‘The Chimp Paradox’. He explains how all of us have two chimps, one sitting on our left shoulder, the other on the right. One chimp is good, the other is bad. Here the good chimp is saying, ‘you’re in pain, call the GP, get it sorted’ whilst the other shouts it down. All too often, we let the bad chimp win.

The thing is, within a few days of seeing a physio, the simple exercises he gave me were already taking effect. The pain was easing, and I was walking better. Although the pain was in my foot, he showed me the root cause of the problem lay elsewhere, so most of the exercises didn’t work on my foot at all. He saw right through me and said, “I bet you Googled this first before you came here, but it didn’t help.” Yep.   

My bad chimp has a lot to say about my writing too. Don’t ask for help, everyone’s too busy. No one’s interested in you. Stay quiet, eventually you’ll work it out for yourself. Oh, did I tell you that your writing’s rubbish?

Recently, my WIP had reached a point where I just didn’t know how to move it forward. I was tinkering with it to little effect and going round in circles. It was causing me pain, but I didn’t know where it was coming from. After thinking about it for ages, I eventually reached out to a writing contact, and he quickly recommended someone who could help. We set up an appointment; I explained my symptoms and awaited the diagnosis. Before the feedback came, I convinced myself the verdict would be terminal. I could clearly hear the words of the writing doctor as they broke the news to me; I’m so sorry, but your book is incurable. Best to let it quietly pass away. Perhaps in time you could consider a different hobby? Preferably something that doesn’t involve stringing words together? 

My bad chimp was wrong. I was relieved to discover my condition wasn’t beyond help at all. It wasn’t in perfect shape, but the right treatment could save it. The diagnosis contained lots of positives and encouragement. It also came with some very specific and pragmatic advice about what I needed to do. Many of the suggestions were quick wins, alongside ideas requiring some more detailed thought. Every single point made total sense and my WIP is now on the road to recovery. I need to put the work in, but that’s down to me. Thank goodness I overcame the voice of my bad chimp. 

Does anybody reading this struggle to ask for help? What are your strategies for silencing your bad chimp? 




Comments

  1. As a child my husband was told constantly not to make a fuss. It was so ingrained in his mind that he never did 'make a fuss' about anything. He once recalled that he'd fainted when alone, and his mother didn't believe him and told him to stop making a fuss. How much better it is nowadays when many children can talk to their parents, confide in them and ask for advice from them. I think that for me, my husband and a lot of my generation (senior, don't ever call us old) were expected to be seen and not heard. We're probably making up for that now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Veronica, I agree with your observation...being seen and not heard was drilled into many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same foot issue. Took a month to see a doctor, only to be told what Google had already told me... Plantar wojama-call-it. No offer of physio, but prayer has helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brendan, I have a print out of the exercises, let me know if you want a copy!

      Delete
  4. Very lovely post, David! Thanks. I was so drawn into the case about your leg and wondering what the outcome of it would be ! Then I realised that you had beautifully switched over to another 'medical siuation' of your book! Beautiful writing. I can see that your book wil have intrigues and will be a thriler! So completely ignore that chimp. That's what I do. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia, bad chimps need to be starved of attention!

      Delete
  5. Hermion Tavarayan6 December 2023 at 14:10

    Hello David
    I too tend to neglect various casual health problems with a stern telling off to myself - "You were created with an inbuilt fighting mechanism to fight disease and other health issues from time to time: well, now is one such time - so FIGHT" Mind you this may not work every time - but it helps sometimes. I am glad the bad chimp lost and you made a full recovery of your minor writing problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and yes, I'm terrible at asking for help (that prideful chimp on my shoulder!). I also have the same foot problem and should get myself to the docs. Please may I have a copy of the exercises too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, yes if course. If you can DM me your email address I'll ping them over to you. Hope they help!

      Delete

Post a Comment