Advent. What time is it?

As I sit here, laptop screen looking at me, I see it’s 17.56 on 4th December. That means I have two clear days to schedule Thursday’s MTW blog.

So far so good. A deadline has a galvanizing effect and, hopefully, words will bubble up from somewhere – the mystery of writing. 

That’s linear, chronological, mechanical time. The sun rises and sets, seasons come and go, and, even without watches, we can hazard a pretty good guess at which month, even the week, and time, just by looking at buds, flowers, fruit, and the Sun. 


But there’s also an inner clock: ‘now’s the right time’ or ‘it’s not the right time’, a sense of time just as real.

It took me many post-school decades before I tried to write. First, a short story to answer a devastating question from my daughter: ‘Daddy, what’s heaven like?’ That misplaced confidence in Dad drew out two days of hard, but enjoyable graft!

And now, I’m attempting to write a historical suspense set in 1796. The feedback from an adviser set off an alarm bell:

“It’s time, John”.

Unexpectedly, my writing had exposed my inner world: my coping mechanisms, vulnerabilities, fears, hopes, and dreams. Now, all on display, apparently, for those who have eyes to see in my writing. Darn it!

I did not expect this.

Joseph and Mary coped with this dual sense of time. On the one hand, Mary’s pregnancy followed its normal course, nine months. But the divine clock that had earlier interrupted their lives via Gabriel, and now, through Caesar Augustus, it was at play again, forcing an uncomfortable journey for Mary, full term, on a donkey to Bethlehem. Hardly a blue-light dash to an awaiting maternity wing!

God’s timing can baffle us.

But our writing turns out to be God’s timing with us; God reaching out to us as we write. For me, Rev 3 v23 is on cue. Jesus knocking at my door. Will I let Him in? Into my inner world? What does He want to say? I hope I can be as open as the Innkeeper.

It’s likely, if you’re reading this, that you’re in the middle of writing an article, a poem, a book, or a play, fully aware of chronological time. But is your inner clock, your sense of God’s timing, also at work?







Comments

  1. Beautiful post, Johm. Thanks. I have always been fascinated with any writing that dwells on time, seasons, age, etc because it sets my creative juice walking towards the poetry station or the reflection mode. When I read the sentence:"God's timing can baffle us." I paused to contemplate and reflect. His timing DOES baffles, mystifies, frustrates, stiffles and of course, it all leads to our good to bless us. Abraham , Sarah, Elizabeth, John, Hannah, Moses, Joseph, etc must have found waiting for God's time so exhausting, to despairing and hopeless but thank God for their faith. It kept them hoping. I am in that situation. I 'm waiting for God's timing on my writing and some family and personal issues . Your post has reminded me that God has a purpose and timing for everyone of us and His timing will come at the right time, in spite of our own 'inner clock' and it will be for our good and to His glory. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia. Keep fighting the fight of faith...calls for endurance...not a word we always want to hear!

      Delete
  2. Your blog gave me quite a lot to think about. My garden is definitely out of kilter at the moment. Primroses are blooming, the camellia has a flower and lots of buds, and there's a hebe full of flowers. The last roses are refusing to give up. Beside the wall separating us from next door, the quince has fruit that isn't quite ripe yet. There are berries on the holly, and catkins on the silver birch. Nature in revolt perhaps, against global warning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea of your garden in revolt...there's surely a story to be told there! My house lies under a wood at the far end of a Close, so Spring starts about June and the summer ends early July...I exaggerate slightly...but my roses are on strike now.

      Delete
  3. Thanks John, a great encouragement to follow God's timing. Writing is a fabulous pursuit for people of all ages, it's never too late. I am reminded of Sarah telling God that she didn't laugh when he said she was going to have a baby. The timing was all wrong, but not for God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great biblical reminder, David. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment