Words, words, words

 





I was reminded the other day how important it is to be precise in our use of words. I’m just too sloppy. I get very near to what I want to say but just a little off the mark. Of course, this has caused enormous confusion in our household. You see my husband, being a retired shipwright, is very precise and just saying you know what I mean, doesn’t cut it.

I do expect some haziness when I’m talking to younger people. They, my grandchildren, have a different vocabulary often related to gaming. With considerable concentration and a few well-placed nods, I can lull them into thinking I know what they are talking about.

The venue of my enlightenment was the meeting of the Devotional Writing group. You may have heard a new group has started. It was my turn to lead the meeting and I suggested we talk about “Writing Sermons”. While everybody was up for a new topic, some were confused about discussing this topic at a “Devotional Writing” meeting. I discovered my definition was far broader than others.

I always considered that books about prayer, Christian living, spiritual disciplines were devotional writing. Someone else had written a book about a miracle which occurred in her family and considered that devotional writing. What about poetry? Isn’t some of that devotional writing?


A couple of our group weren’t so sure. They were reasonably well-known writers who had some considerable success writing “devotionals”. Their definition was much narrower than mine. We didn’t fight. All being quite mature Christians, we agreed to differ.

However, it did get me to thinking. We assume, well I do anyway, that others concur with our own views on the meaning of words. Isn’t that after all the basis of conversation. Well please excuse my ramblings on a well-worn topic.

For your information, anyone is welcome to join the Devotional Writing Group, regardless of your definition. We are meeting on the first Thursday of the month from 2-4pm

 

 

Reverend Rosalie Weller tries not to take herself too seriously. Life is too short! She enjoys writing in different genres - historical fiction, bible study guides, devotionals and poetry.

She is the Groups' Coordinator for ACW and welcomes any enquiry about groups at groups@christianwriters.co.uk

Comments

  1. What an interesting discussion you had. It made me think of the Venn diagrams we used to make with primary school children, where everything had a place of belonging. Long may the group continue, and long may Christians agree to disagree about so many things that give us a diversity of thought and a unity of focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it is a human trait to want to put things into slots so we can better understand them!

      Delete
  2. Interested to read that there were those who narrowed the definition down to what I would, (sorry if I'm misguided here) call 'Bible Study Notes' - books which go through a book of the BIble, or a subject, giving the passage, a short(ish maybe) commentary on its meaning or interpretation, and a suitable prayer, used for private study or for home groups, mum's groups, mens/women's groups, etc. However, personally, I'd agree with you, a wider definition is definitely valid here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one person narrowed it down to a piece of only 300 words including the prayer and scripture verse.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Rosalie, thanks! I was captivated by your thoughts that some poetry could be devotional. That is interesting because I have never thought of poetry as being devotional! Certainly, I agree with you that we have to be careful with our words. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia, for me some poetry is like a prayer so focussed on God, it must be devotional.

      Delete
  4. I'm with your husband...sort of! My head tells me words have precise meanings and imprecise use of words leads to misunderstandings and so on. However, I also think of words like suitcases that need to be 'unpacked'...and, well, who hasn't packed a suitcase to bursting point? I'm learning, slowly, to concede that neatness and precision is rather illusory! So, thank you for your post, timely for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think my husband's precision stems from a training as a shipwright and 34 years in the Navy! Thanks for your comment, John

      Delete
  5. I'm with you Rosalie, devotion is as broad as an ocean, as high as a mountain top, there is no place to stop. God is beyond our limited imagination, devotion is in every situation - especially in poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the interaction, Brendan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment