A Little Refuge?

       I am sitting in the members’ area of the British Library, in my favourite corner of a room with modern armchairs with high backs that curl around providing a place where I could comfortably sleep and no-one would notice. It’s warm and quiet. But I’m here to write, having only completed 8000 words or so of the NaNoWriMo target I set myself of 40000 words, which combined with those I’ve already written will complete my first draft. But more urgently the More than Writers blog needs to be written. 


There are distractions in the library, of course. I can see a large television screen, with the sound off, but if I’m not careful I end up reading the text to the news. Across the room, people are talking quietly, but the low buzz of speech is not intrusive. At home I would have other things to do, cleaning, cooking lunch, taking the dog out, meetings, enquiries, visits. In other words, I would be constantly distracted. I’m sure I’m not the only writer who feels guilty when leaving things undone in their own home to find a refuge where they can write. It’s a guilt I have decided to live with for the greater good of continuing to write.


I haven’t had a quiet writing retreat yet with this manuscript. Quiet retreats involve going away for a few days to somewhere with food provided and a desk or table and chair in the bedroom.  This can be risky because sometimes chairs can be exceedingly uncomfortable resulting in backache or all-over ache. The table can be too small, too wobbly, too far from the power socket or in a dark corner. The room can be too cold or too hot - too stuffy or too draughty. So I take cushions, throws, an extension lead, table lamp - they stay in the car if not needed.


On one of these retreats, there must be no programme going on, no teaching or even buddying for me to make good progress. This was all marvellous when I retreated to the Pleasuance near Cromer, several years ago, apart from the fact that the other residents were retired Methodist ministers who insisted on teaching me Rummikub which I won, completely upsetting a minister’s wife. I don’t believe in beginners’ luck but it’s not a game I’ve been very good at since.


If everything is fairly comfortable (and there aren’t too many retired ministers around) being on a retreat on my own works splendidly, especially when shaping and editing an early draft. It’s so much easier to have time to go through everything and pull the manuscript together. But this may not be necessary for you. I have friends who can write and edit anywhere - even crowded cafes or standing up in noisy, crowded trains. I’ve tried and now can write if I’m on a train with a table in front of me and it’s fairly quiet, which is rare but does sometimes happen.


However, people notice what I’m doing in a public place and ask me what I’m writing, who I am, will they have heard of me, and so on. Or tell me they’d write a book if they had the time! 


So for now I can recommend the British Library - but if you see me there, please don’t teach me any games!


Afterword: What do you say when people ask if they will have heard of me? I’ve tried ‘Well, you’ve heard of me now,’ and ‘Only if you move in the right circles.’ Even a well-delivered ‘Perhaps?’. However, these replies feel almost as rude as the original question. Any ideas?


Annie Try writes novels for adults and young adults. Her latest book, The Dangerous Dance of Emma JJ, is published by Kevin Mayhew. She is now working on the sequel but is badly in need of a quiet retreat and a deadline.


Comments

  1. I particularly enjoyed your description of imperfect wobbly tables/chairs/dark corners and out of reach power sockets. My experience also. I have been pondering finding a folding table and chair to take just in case for my next AirBnB or other retreat. And if you find me in Bristol Central Library please prise me away at 11am for coffee and cheesecake at the cafe just round the quiet corner from Non-Fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A folding table and chair is an excellent idea, as long as you’re not travelling by bike!

      Delete
  2. I suspect I've been very blessed: i didn't write full length books until the kids were grown enough to be out all day, and after that i've managed at home while husband was at work. SInce Covid, about half the workforce (incuding him" work from home: it's very odd, but I find itfar more difficult to work with another person in the house, also working, in a room with a desk. Not because they interupt - they don't - but becuase, somehow, I feel the work drifting up the stairs, a work attitude! Weird... whatever, have never had to do a retreat, and used to be able to fit the housework around it - now find myself too old to have that extra energy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to work with others working in the house too. I get distracted with ‘oughts’ re things to do and even the routine of eating lunch or having coffee together.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Annie! Thanks. I think it's graet that you live close to the British Library. That saves you money posting your books to them. You just walk in! Well, it has also given you good inspiration for the post. Well done for taking the nanowrimo challenge! All the best. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia - I don’t live close, I’m afraid. I live in Norfolk but go to London for other reasons including a regular term-time dance class! I shall do my best with NaNoWriMo but my target is rapidly contracting in my mind.

      Delete
  4. Some people seem to think that writing is incredibly easy for writers. Once when I was expecting a successful novelist friend to stay, I told someone she was coming and said she'd written a lot of cosy crime books. The person asked her name, and upon hearing it, said, 'Huh! Never heard of her!' I found it difficult to keep smiling, but at the time that seemed the only civil option. Another friend I hear from at Christmas always seems a bit surprised that I'm not yet the next JK Rowling. These people are so interesting, aren't they? Really, they have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m still working on the comeback to people who ask if they’ve heard of me - I think I’ve found an answer - something like ‘I expect you may have heard of me - I write for discerning readers.’

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your lovely thoughtful comments - I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can recommend Gladstone's Library in Hawarden, near Chester. They do a discount for Society of Authors

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a fun read! I smiled at the Rummikub story! (It's one of our favourite family games at the moment.) As for your question in the last paragraph as to what you should answer, I think you've already got some great responses there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment