The Power of the Sea - by SC Skillman

 I was born and brought up 30 minutes from the sea, in Kent. We often used to visit Rye and Camber Sands, which hold some of my happiest memories. But now, living in the middle of the country, in Warwickshire, I don't often find myself close to the ocean.

So on my recent visit to the Cornish coast, I rejoiced once more that one of the greatest miracles is the enchanting effect of light on water, and on a sandy beach.





All the above photos were taken at Tolcarne Beach, Newquay, in June 2023.

Here is a thought from CS Lewis, writing about the Holy Spirit:

What I see is not the Wave,

but the Wave's imprint upon the sand.




When we arrived at Narrowcliff, Newquay, on Monday 30 October 2023, we found a different scene from June; but still, the mood was calm and idyllic on shining Tolcarne Beach. 

 


But after Storm Ciaran arrived that soon changed! 

Nevertheless, I love the sea in all its moods. 


We find several references to the sea in the bible, usually as an image of the vast and mysterious. Here is one of my favourites, from Job 11:7-12 (the Message).

Do you think you can explain the mystery of God? Do you think you can diagram God almighty? God is far higher than you can imagine, far deeper than you can comprehend. Stretching farther than earth's horizons, far wider than the endless ocean.

For so many the sea is a source of joy, elation and happiness. Yet for others the sea has been dangerous, relentless and implacable. In museums in Port Isaac and St Ives you may find heartrending reports of historical shipwrecks and descriptions of lives swept away by the remorseless sea.  As I read some of these accounts, I wonder at the strength and courage of those in the fishing industry, especially individuals who have survived shipwrecks and have seen many of their fellow sailors meet tragic and violent deaths, but have returned again and again to chance their lives upon the ocean. Also these stories often highlight the incredible self-sacrificial bravery of lifeboat crew - we cannot feel anything other than awed and humbled by their actions in the face of enormous adversity.  

I think, too, we respond to the sea at such a primal level because we are elemental beings. So much of history shows our changeable natures, in a moral and spiritual sense - sometimes water, sometimes ice, sometimes steam. I must also admit I find myself wishing we humans could naturally breathe underwater, as I long to fathom the depths. However, instead, I admire deep sea divers and the wonders their discoveries open up to us. 

Perhaps some of these reflections may remind us once again of the precious resource of the oceans as well as the land, on this beautiful and vulnerable planet.



Sheila lives in Warwickshire, and writes under the pen name SC Skillman. Her output includes psychological, paranormal and mystery fiction and non-fiction. She is a member of the Society of Authors and the Association of Christian Writers.

Her non-fiction books on local history are published by Amberley and include Paranormal Warwickshire and Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire; her next book, A-Z of Warwick, will be released on 15 November 2023. She is now researching a fourth book for Amberley, this time, about Gloucestershire. She also has two gothic novels in progress, and ideas for further nonfiction books about historical subjects.

SC Skillman was born and brought up in Orpington, Kent, and has loved writing most of her life. She studied English Literature at Lancaster University, and her first permanent job was as a production secretary with the BBC. Later she lived for nearly five years in Australia before returning to the UK. She has now settled in Warwick with her husband and son, and her daughter currently lives and works in Australia.

This is Sheila's last post for the More Than Writers blog, which she has greatly enjoyed, but now she is letting go of her slot on the 4th of the month. This is because she finds herself so busy with other writing assignments, not least, research for the new book on Gloucestershire!  Find more posts by Sheila on her own weekly blog at www.scskillman.com. Willing bloggers are invited to apply for the 4th of the month slot here on More Than Writers!


Comments

  1. Thank you Sheila. I live in Porthleven, Cornwall, by the sea. I enjoyed your blog today. It brought to mind the words of the old hymn ‘Here is love vast as the ocean.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is one of the most well known and loved hymns that refer to the sea. You live in a beautiful part of the world - I love Marazion, as well, which is not far from you.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, Sheila and interesting thoughts.
    People seem to love or loathe the sea. Mum had strong views about lots of things. She once told me never to live near the sea. As things turned out we can sea the sea from our windows, except when the weather closes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How intriguing! I wonder what lay behind her feelings about the sea? Perhaps she had heard about tsunamis and so on - her views are not likely to have emerged from anxiety about global warming and rising sea levels! (Sheila aka SC Skillman).

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, Sheila, and beautiful photos and video! I love the sea, and want to live by it one day. I hardly ever have a holiday in which I don't go to the coast. I too love the sea in all its moods, and a wild and stormy sea teaches us to respect the wildness of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I share your feelings about the sea and while I would like to live near it I think I might just continue as someone who visits as often as possible! (Sheila aka SC Skillman).

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading this and love your photos, Sheila. I am the opposite of you, having lived inland all my life but for 5 years now, within half an hour of the sea. And I love it in every type of weather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds ideal to me Deborah - within half an hour of the sea. (Sheila aka SC Skillman).

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Sheila! Thanks. Your post reminds me of my experience with the sea anytime I go to Cumbria to visit my sister. I am drawn to the sea magnetically and I feel like I should never leave. The awe of its expanse and the tidal waves all hold a magical attraction for me too. The sea breeze mingling with laps of the sea waves is enchanting. I imagine the amazing beauty that sailors see in the deep sea, that we can't imagine... Thanks for those lovely pics and the Job scripture. Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia - you give a strong and vivid description of the sea. I think you are so right - there is indeed 'a magnetic attraction'. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

      Delete
  6. A beautiful last post, Sheila. I too love the sea, and the changing light. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also grew up in Kent, on the North Kent coast, and now live inland, in Bristol, and yearn for the sea so I relate closely to your post. I particularly enjoyed the C.S. Lewis quote. All the best with your post-MTW blog future and may you experience many tides and waves of the Holy Spirit in all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment