Why challenge ourselves? By Brendan Conboy

Picture: Brendan on the road in Plymouth

November, for many writers, is perhaps the busiest month of the year. Many of you will be slogging your way through Nanowrimo and hopefully will have written some remarkable stories. Once again, I decided not to do this challenge this year but nevertheless, I still feel that I have achieved and will briefly share some of my wins – do tell me yours.

Book Blest – The month kicked off with a gathering of Christian authors and speakers in Stroud. It was fabulous to see this event take place again after months of planning and organising and the feedback that we have received is mainly positive. However, like many others, I was disappointed by the low number of visitors to the festival. It really does make you feel like giving up, especially when you are exhausted from the challenge – but we don’t do we?

College – As if I wasn’t already doing enough, God led me to enrol on a level 4 diploma in proofreading and copy editing. This was a serious challenge on top of everything else but I graduated halfway through the month with a distinction. I have since, already been asked to edit a couple of books. This makes it feel like the challenge was worth it.

On the road – I have also just returned from a weekend in Plymouth (145 miles away) where I was invited to provide a poetry workshop, speak at a men’s curry night and preach on being creative with God. Throughout the weekend I witnessed people’s lives being transformed through the power of words and creativity. I too was transformed, as I lay awake in the early hours of Saturday morning from 1.45am until 4.30am. The Holy Spirit showed me then that He wanted me to change what I had planned. It was another challenge but I did as was instructed and this obedience impacted lives.

Picture: Advert for book launch

Book launch – As if the month hasn’t already been challenging enough, I will be rounding it off with an online book launch for my latest book, ‘I’m Still VALUED.’ I do hope you will join me in celebration on the 29th of November at 7.30pm for an hour on Zoom HERE. This book is my continuing life story and covers the last ten years, which have been full of challenges and battles.

In December I will slow down a little and take time to relax, reflect and re-evaluate. I will also plan my challenges for next year and set my goals. What challenges are you facing right now? Are you planning any for next year? Whatever you are facing, remember that your ACW friends are there to help, support and encourage.

 

Picture: Brendan with his first book in 2015

Brendan Conboy aka Half Man Half Poet is the author of 14 published books including his fascinating autobiography, The Golden Thread.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 6 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Brendan is available for speaking events, poetry performances and workshops.  Visit Brendan's website HERE.

Comments

  1. Wha an inspiring post, Brendan! Thanks. What you have done here is like giving testimonies of what God has helped you achieve in your writing career! We praise God for this. Your post motivates me to thank God for what He has achieved in my writing career so far. November for me as seen me return to my memoir, which has been left cold for several months. In October, I celebrated Black History with some authors at the AbbeyWood Library. In between January to June, I published 2 books to God's glory. I look forward to achieving a challenging goal that gives me the creeps - learnng how to format my work, before December 2024!
    Congrats on all you have achieved , especially the proofreading one. From your studies, is this something one can study and learn privately on their own? More grease to your elbow and wishing you a succesful book launch on the 29th! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia, wow, you have also been busy. It is so good to look back and reflect. Often we can feel as if we have achieved very little until we reflect. Yes, the course that I did can be done by anyone, it was through the College of Media and Publishing.

      Delete
  2. You do work amazingly hard at everything, Brendan. Sorry I can't make it to your book launch, but wishing you a great evening and huge success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica, it really doesn't feel hard, more like fun. I always think a challenge that we inflict upon ourselves should be fun. Life throws too many other challenges that are hard and no fun at all.

      Delete

Post a Comment