Story Formats by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

 

 
Most of my reading is done via the good old paperback. I have non-fiction works on my Kindle or in hardback. I also love audio books and stories on the radio. My favourite there is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. 

Other family members do not read much but take in their stories via film. To give credit where due, they have watched the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy twice! Does anyone know if there is a medal given out if you manage that three times?

I do not worry about the format of the story. Indeed, I welcome other formats because I see them as ways of getting people into reading. This is more important now given there are far more options for people to spend their leisure time rather than “just” reading. 

More people, when they read, opt for ebooks and screen reading. I am sure this has helped fuel the growth in flash fiction and short stories. Short works are ideal for screens.

I like to mix up my reading and will deliberately choose between genres so, for a while, I will read crime novels, crime short stories, and then on to another genre. I also mix up formats so I will read paperbacks for a while, then on to hardbacks, then focus on my Kindle for a time etc. 

I see this as getting the best from all possible reading worlds. I allow time for reading magazines (and often do this as part of my lunch break).


When travelling with my other half, out comes the audio books, Discworld being our favourite. On a decent journey to Northumberland or Scotland, we can get through a couple of these on the run up. Plus we often listen to them when touring, especially if radio reception isn’t ideal.


If I had to pick an overall favourite story format, it has to be the paperback. It’s a great invention. Books designed to be easy to read and carry around, much easier to do than with the hardback. Also, pre-Kindle days, you can get more paperbacks in a suitcase. That used to matter for me but now I just pack the Kindle and its charger and have done.

As a reader, I appreciate having the choice of formats. I will often go for the ebook of a writer new to me and, if I love their work, may go on to buy other books from them, this time in paperback. Ebooks are useful for this as they are relatively inexpensive (and there can be good offers on them too).


I am pleased my books are available in paperback and ebook. I want readers to have the choice, just as I appreciate having the choice myself. If having that choice encourages more reading, which I am sure it does, I am all for it, especially since reading widely is a great source of inspiration for writing your own stories.

Happy reading (and writing)!






Comments

  1. Great blog Allison, it's interesting that readers try ebooks of authors new to them, then buy paperbacks. As for LOTR, I have watched all three twice and considering a third time. I'll let you know about the medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brendan, and you definitely deserve the medal! (Allison Symes)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Allison, thanks. I worry that the reading culture is depreciating as more people are spending their leisure watching films. I very much prefer to read from my kindle than audio or paperback because it is cheaper. I guess every writer's delight will be to get their books into the big screen At least, I will be so delighted. I am yet to hop on the band wagon of LOTR. I do not know if I have watched it long ago in the past or not! You talked of your family members watching it thrice. Have you? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Sophia. I would rather people watch films as you can take in stories that way. Ideally you read books AND watch films. I do! You would remember if you watched LOTR though, trust me on that! Great adaptation. I've watched it twice but haven't watched the extended editions - yet. Best wishes. Allison Symes

      Delete
  3. LOTR confessions - I may have mentioned this before - LOTR had me so gripped that my attendance at Chemistry lectures had to (?) take second place for a while at Exeter University way back when. It's great getting 'lost' in a book or a film. A meditative state. I'm now looking at my LOTR box set (DVDs and box of paperbacks) and wondering...when?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment