Getting To Know Our Characters by Emily Owen

 

If we want to have characters that come alive in our readers' minds, the characters must intimately come alive in our minds first. ~Jody Hedlund

I recently went into a school to take a lesson.

I went to talk to the children about my forthcoming book, out next year, and to ask them to read it and feedback, so I could get some quotes. They all said yes, they would, which was nice - though I have to say they’d already been ‘said yes for’ by their teacher!

At the start of the lesson, before we did some reading/writing/discussion, I explained that I’m deaf, and that, in sign language, people don’t always spell every letter of every person’s name. People are assigned a ‘sign name’, based on their characteristics.

I have a few sign names, depending who I’m with, but the main one for me is – oh so originally – the sign for ‘tall’.

I asked the children what their own sign names would be.

(Do feel free to adopt the sign name technique, it really does make it easier to remember who is who, and is especially helpful when choosing someone to answer a question. I find it certainly beats ‘you over there, in the blue top’ (especially when all in the class are wearing blue tops).)

One girl decided her sign name would be the opposite of mine, because she is small (presumably in comparison to me, as she seemed fairly average height).

Before long, the children were helping each other out:

“Yours should be ‘clever’ because you’re really brainy.”

Nods all round.

“Yours should be ‘shhh’ because you talk a lot!”

Nods and giggles all round.

“Yours should be ‘book’ because you like reading.”

Nods all round (sadly, it was too late to claim ‘book’ for myself…).

 

What about the characters in my book? What sign names would I give them? What immediately sums up something of who they are?

Sign names helped me get to know the children, perhaps they’d help me get to know characters as I write. Worth a try?

Comments

  1. I'd never heard of this concept before, Emily. So interesting! I can see how you'd completely engage a class of children with it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. My characters' characteristics are always so clear in my head, but sometimes I don't transfer that to the page. Having at least one "name" for them would be a great place to start :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been 'naming' some of mine since I wrote this blog!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Emily, Thanks. That was a novelty in the class there! Sure you had fun. It would be lovely if each child could give a feedback about your forthcoming book. All the best next year with it.. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. Yes, we had fun in the class! Thank you for your encouragement with my book.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that about sign names either and I'm trying (badly) to learn sign language! Fascinating post, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily I had no idea about sign names but love it! I bet those children so loved that lesson. You really know how to engage people of all ages whether through the dozen or written word, just through you being you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the children di enjoy it - I know I did, anyway!

      Delete
  6. That's a great blog, Emily and like others I have never come across sign names. I am currently working on a third novella in the Eastwood Story series and one of the characters has a significant hearing loss so may 'pick your brains' a bit more some time. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to show my name on that one!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Richard. I'm looking forward to reading the first two, lovely to know there's a third in the pipeline. Please do pick my brains about hearing loss, more than happy to help if I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment