What Inspires You?


 

Hello Everyone, It's a quick one from me today as I rush through my days (and I wonder why life passes so quickly!) Yes, I should write another post about stopping and breathing and dwelling in our Almighty Father's arms but this morning I have it inside of me to speak about inspiration. 

From where do you get your inspiration?

I write for children and over the past months I have been filling my "creative bucket" with ideas. As a result, I have begun writing again but goodness, did I need those months of just living life to refill my appetite for the written word! At the time I fretted and worried that I wasn't "making progress" or spending any time actually writing. How wrong I was. In fact, having time away from the keyboard has helped considerably.

If one is not in the mood for writing then one should read. (It's my own theory - you don't have to take any notice of it!) Despite the hectic life of a mum with teenagers (all of whom are far needier than a newborn - honestly!) I do find time to read and I read everything, not just books for children. I have been completely absorbed by the Second World War partisans in rural Italy, I've stepped into prewar life in England, I've completed a couple of Jacqueline Wilson's (actually to check whether they are appropriate for year 5 children), discovered Gill Lewis' The Closest Thing to Flying and re-reading Victoria Hislop's children's book, Maria's Island. 

I have made a conscious effort to cease treating the dog walk as a chore and make the effort to simply be in the moment whether I'm walking the mutt in the rain or in golden fields of sunshine. My mind breathes and though at first I was fighting the lists of chores and responsibilities that (still) pile up in my mind I am now relaxing enough to mull over characters and plans for my next writing project. 

Films - I love a good film and I particularly enjoy awe-inspiring, well-made films for children complete with clever details that fill the imagination with joy and wonder. I am watching the Harry Potter films (no apologies for originality)

Spending time with younger children. Being a class teacher fills me with excitement and happiness (Yep, really). Children are so funny and clever and have wonderful innocent honesty. They will tell me if they're bored, unhappy, or excited and add so much to our lessons and learning. I learn so much from them. I also love spending time with my own teens and have some very interesting conversations about life. 

Out and about - A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride on a steam train. I haven't been for years and I'd forgotten how magical it is. Suddenly plunged into times of old, chugging along, sitting in springy seats, the smell of oiled wood and leather, watching the ageless countryside pass by. 

Inspiration is something, for me, that comes from living life. Giving myself a break and not fretting about the lack of pen-action. 

There, I hope this has helped! I'd love to know what inspires you. Have a great Wednesday.


Nikki x



Comments

  1. You sound as though you're learning to live 'in the moment' - it's something I really struggle to do as I'm too busy thinking about the past moments and the future moments. Arrggh. But your post is a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this piece Nikki. Sometimes we need a break from writing, or other things, and reading is one of the best things to do. I'm currently struggling to improve my writing of dialogue so my reading is also research and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in the moment is difficult when there is always so much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, totally agree on the inspiration coming from films. Eva and I went to NZ recently, and with such a long flight, and not being able to sleep on a plane, I've never watched some many planes. If you get a moment, in your rushing, my recent blog post will say more :) x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment