Probing prophetic promises

Do you have ideas popping into your head when you should be asleep at night? Recently I had a whole host of uninvited words beginning with pro-.  I decided not to get out of bed to make a note of the idea.

Instead, the following day I made a list:

Professional, proprietorial, profound, pro tem, professor, proletariat, propaganda, promise, protégé, prognosis, prong, prosecute, prolong, propensity, prolapse, profit, produce, promulgate, propagate

A row of dictionaries and Fowler's Modern English Usage
I needed to check the dictionary for at least one word on this list. Dictionary reading has been a long-term hobby of mine.

Then I thought of a second list beginning with four letter words and then thinking about all the letters of the alphabet, which could follow pro to make words:

Prow, prop, problem, prosaic, pronto, procurator, project, proliferous, prove, prowess, proxy

Now I have two lists, what to do with them? Can I make any sense of them? Here goes…

Pronouns aren’t proper nouns.

Providing professional input to a project might sound prosaic.

Professors could profit from projects perpetrated by their promising protégés. Propaganda has a propensity to produce opinions.

Proving a person’s prowess by proxy is improbable.

Prototypes prosper proprietors.

Providing a prognosis doesn’t prolong life.

Problematic propositions might lead to prosecution.

Probably these words should be part of a blog post. It would not be the first time I have posted words beginning with the same three letters on the More than Writers’ blog. Why I may be impish had a similar idea. 

On one of my own blogs I have two posts mainly using words with the same initial letter. Putting pen to paper and Do you roll your Rs? 

Perhaps as professing Christians we should be probing God’s promises.

'Pro' on its own means 'for'.

‘If God is for us, who can be against us?’ Romans 8:31


Susan always wanted to be a writer.  In 2012 she revived her interest in writing with a blogging project to collect the kinds of sayings, which were much used in her childhood.

Susan experiments with factual writing, fiction, humour and poetry.  She does not yet have a book to her name. Her interests include words, languages, music, nature study and gardening  She has experience of the world of work, being a stay-at-home mum and an empty-nester.   She is active in her local community and Church. She and her husband live in Cumbria

Follow her on X (ex Twitter) https://twitter.com/suesconsideredt

Comments

  1. Thank you, Fran. I'm glad it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and real fun too! Thanks Susan. I'd like to add to the pro words and it is - pro unitatae[ for unity] and propeller[helicopter's blades. Blessing!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia, both for your encouragement and for the additional words. I thought about asking for additional words in my post, but decided against it in case anyone posted mischievously!

      Delete
  3. Yes it is fun playing around with words like this. You say you love reading dictionaries and I love reading Roget's Thesaurus. I find it moving and uplifting to consider the sheer variety of words available to describe just one experience or element of life - and each word encapsulates a slightly different sense and meaning. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Sheila. I only resort to Roget for difficult crossword clues. I don't find it very helpful generally. Reading it is probably a useful way of increasing one's active vocabulary, though. I've always been disappointed that I don't like it more!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your 'pro' list. The one I'd have to check is proletariat. That's one of those words that comes and goes, I don't feel I've quite captured its meaning or etymology. So, thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, John. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Post a Comment