Ready Writer? by Joy Margetts

                         ‘My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.’ Psalm 45:1 NKJV

 READY?


What is a ready writer? I was struck by that question as I read Psalm 45 a few days ago. In some Bible translations the word ’ready’ is translated as ‘skilled’, or ‘skillful’. It can also mean ‘quick’ or ‘prompt’, apparently. I know the Psalmist here is talking about composing songs, but I love that picture of a writer poised with pen in hand, just waiting for the words to flow.

I might not sit with a ink-filled pen, poised over a clean sheet of paper, but when it comes time to write there are certain things I do to get ready. Certain things that have to be in place. I am sure we all have our own little idiosyncrasies. I get myself as ready as I can be. Hoping for the words to flow, from head and heart to fingertips and keyboard.

These are some of the things I do to get ready to write:

-          I like to answer any emails or social media messages before I sit down to write. I also do any pressing household chores (if there are such things!) I like to have optimum headspace available to be able to lose myself in my writing.

-          I write best in the afternoons. In the morning I am not awake enough, in the evenings I am too tired. Although, if I start writing after lunch, I need someone to tell me when it is almost dinner time, as I might just not notice.

-          I have a favourite writing chair. I don’t yet have a designated office space or desk, due to delays in finishing the house renovations. But I do have a magnificent sea view from my windows, and a comfy armchair, and a lap tray with my laptop on it. I know it is not good ergonomics – but it works for me.

-          Because I have to write in the living room, I can only write when no-one else is around. Apart from the puppy, (who just plonked her squeaky toy on the corner of my lap tray). If someone tries to speak to me when I am writing, they get the same reaction they would get if they tried to speak to me when I was reading a good book…

-          I usually like to have music on when I write. As long as it is not too loud or too jazzy. In fact NO JAZZ at all. Can’t stand it. As I write medieval fiction I have been known to have a bit of monastic chanting on in the background, but it is more usually worship music.

-          And a charged laptop of course. And a coffee. And ideally chocolate. These things really help get the writing juices ready.




But of course, for all of us, what we really need to be ready to write, is to have ideas and inspiration. I usually ‘see’ my stories in my mind before I write them down. I can be inspired by places, people, conversations, landscapes, all sorts. Or not. Like all of us there have been times when I’m physically ready to write, but nothing comes.

INSPIRED

If you continue reading in Psalm 45 you will understand why the Psalmist is so ready to let the words spill out of Him. His inspiration is the image of a glorious, majestic, conquering Messiah, and the kingdom He is going to establish. He is so excited about it!

Which leads me to this. The one other thing I always do before writing, whether the inspiration is already there or not, is to commit my writing to God. I’m sure many of us do that. I acknowledge that being able to write is a gift from Him, and I want my writing to honour Him. I want my writing to contain Him, and to be inspired by Him.

I don’t try to write at all if I haven’t spent time with God that day, I really have found that to be a waste of my time and energy. When I have first turned my attention and my affection towards Jesus, then I am truly ready to write, and the inspiration is far more likely to come.

What do you do to get ‘ready’ to write?


 Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' was  published 20th October 2023. She has also recently published her first non-fiction book, an Advent Devotional entitled 'Christ Illuminated'.

 Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

 

Comments

  1. Very lovely post, Joy! Thanks. We have a lot in common when it comes to readiness for writing: music, getting stuff done before writing, praying, writing in the living room and like you, all sorts of things can inspire me. Seeing the story in my head happens when I might have toyed with a specific idea in my mind for months. What I would like to know is if you enjoy editing your work, how you canvass for reviews and for how many hours you can sit at writing? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Psalm 45 so inspirational. In the Psalms in Rhyme, it reads, 'My heart is on fire, with gallant desire. From my heart, the lyrics are rising. This song, to be sung to the King, my tongue is storytelling, words rising, spilling, over-flowing. I think prayer is essential, not just before but throughout. If I am at home, I need peace and quiet, yet if I am out and about, I can write anywhere. I wrote some of my latest book from my hospital bed, whilst waiting for heart surgery. Coffee and chocolate also help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment