Learning to blow your own trumpet by Jane Walters

I’ve had a varied career, jobs-wise (I put this down to a low boredom threshold) but the fact that I’m a musician has been the unbroken thread throughout my life. I’ve had a go at most instruments and have become proficient in several but a notable exception has been the inability to blow my own trumpet.

You realise, of course, I’m not talking about the actual trumpet – I have one of those in my loft; yes, really – but about the whole ‘I’m a writer but I’m going to be incredibly self-effacing about it to the extent that no one may ever know that I’ve written anything and my sales are thereby woefully pitiful.’ Some in ACW seem unafflicted by this handicap and enjoy healthy sales and a growing fan-base but I suspect I’m far from alone in being a sufferer.

I recently attended a webinar hosted by Steph Slater (of www.healedhealthywhole.co.uk) which shed a new light on the issue and I thought I’d share it with you. In one section, we had to consider this question: What limits do you place on yourself through thoughts, beliefs, past experiences or circumstances? In order to illustrate the process, she picked on one of her own beliefs: ‘I hate self-promotion. I feel that self-promotion is wrong.’ Obviously, such a belief would naturally inhibit her efforts to develop her business and ministry, so she tried turning it around so that it read the opposite way: ‘I love promoting myself!’ Not only was this blatantly untrue, but it didn’t at all help unpick the mental tangle. In her next tweak, she tried, ‘Self-promotion is good.’ It helped make the concept feel a more positive one, but it didn’t align with her values. She wanted God to be at the centre of what she did, not her.

Finally, she hit upon a phrase that was starting to get to the truth: ‘I love promoting my services.’ She was passionate about what she was doing and wanted as many people as possible to hear about it and receive its benefits. Next, she expanded this theme: ‘I love promoting God through promoting my services.’ At last, she had a statement that freed her to consider marketing in a way that was effective and that sat comfortable with her heart values.

Like with any instrument, we may not become proficient own-trumpet blowers straightaway, but we can start practising and see where it leads. Now, take a deep breath and say after me: ‘I love promoting my writing, that through it I would point people to Jesus.’



Jane Walters is vice-chair of ACW and leader of two ACW affiliated groups in Norfolk. She leads Ready Writers Retreats - find out more at www.janewyattwalters.com


 

Comments

  1. That is such a helpful way of looking at it. I think we all struggle with self promotion as it seems very unchristian. But if we believe we write for His glory and to bless others then we need to love sharing what we do. I'm going to start saying that to myself every time I have to promote my books. Thank you Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful, Joy. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Love this blog. Plan to take the deep breath method every day from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this, think it could be a helpful way of taking the focus off myself while giving me freedom to promote what I'm doing (which I do feel God has called me to) without feeling weird about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel very seen! Any form of self-promotion makes my toes curl. This is a really helpful way to look at it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it helpful, too. Now just got to implement it…

      Delete
  5. Truly a fresher and new prespective of how we view self promotion and marketting. Really, really helps to see it in the light of doing it for our Lord Jesus.Thanks so much for sharing with us. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia. I’m really pleased it’s helped x

      Delete
  6. Gosh, so helpful! I really struggle with the whole self promotion thing and thinking of it as primarily promoting God is such a good perspective on it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to see it differently, doesn’t it? God bless all you’re doing, Liz x

      Delete
  7. As always, when I see it's you on the blog, Jane, I let out a little cheer. I am a former shrinking violet. I would never have promoted myself back in the day, but then I had nothing to promote. I love the fact that you have an actual trumpet in the loft. I think for me, having never done what I wanted for myself my whole life through, now that God has given me my heart's desire, I am seizing every opportunity to expand it. That probably makes me quite annoying sometimes, and for that I am sorry. But there is self promotion and there is self promotion, and your brilliant exposition of how to put God at the heart of it is extremely helpful. Thank you, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such lovely comments, Ruth, thank you! I’m cheering you on as your pace increases….

      Delete
    2. That encourages me greatly as I sit down for another day of writing. And how wonderful to be able to write those words! Praise God for His faithfulness

      Delete
  8. I really hate self promotion so found this very helpful, Jane. Always happy to promote others though. Like you, unfortunately, my sales are woefully small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if we promoted ourselves in the way we would other people? Do as ourselves as we would unto others...?

      Delete
  9. This is so helpful, thank you! The thought of having to self promote has been filling me with dread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad if this has helped overcome some of that dread!

      Delete
  10. Along with all the other commenters, Jane, I found this very helpful. My own trumpet has progressed from the loft to someone else's (probably) more capable hands and I hope they are playing sweet music thereon daily. Meanwhile, this perspective is a good one; I'm just not very consistent about it but believe it's absolutely the right one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped, Jenny. Thanks for reading and commenting x

      Delete
  11. I love promoting my writing in order to point people to Jesus. That is worth saying. Thank you, Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment