In the voice of Prayer by Tracy Williamson

As I've been praying for the Ukrainian crisis this week, the thought crossed my mind, why am I praying?  Will it really make any difference?  The next moment I found myself answering my own question as if I was the Prayer speaking.  Was it God speaking to me?  Was it just my imagination?  It was probably both but it made me think of the wonder of characterization, seeing and writing from another's perspective, and how broadening to our understanding that is.  So here in the voice of Prayer . . .

I was born today

A horror felt

A grief unconsoled

An unpassable mountain.

I was that tiniest nudge inside your heart

The whisper that passed almost unheard

A flame flickering within

A drawing up to God.

I was born today

As fragile and pure as a feather

Tickling your heart and thought-life

With the promise of hope.

I was born today

A longing felt for change, for justice

A glimpse of gold

An unquenchable fire

The joy of God.

I was born today

A breath of words whispered into the night

A hatred of conflict, of despair of cruelty and loss

A reaching out; a groan, a tear, a cry.

I was born.

I was born unformed almost unseen

A whisper

A group of words and an amen

Yet I take you in my arms and carry you to the throne of God

Where I dance in revel and delight for

I am welcome there.

I speak your message right into His heart

And He gives me the wings of a dove

Or even an eagle

To carry back His answer

To plant and feel the joy

As it bursts into bloom, profuse And full of fragrance.

I was born today and never will I die

For I form the highway between Heaven and Earth

Between God and man

Between Hope and despair

Comfort and loss.

I may seem as nebulous and flimsy as a feather

But allow my whisper to be heard, let me soar,

I am resting in your heart and on your tongue,

Let me out and I will speak

Giving form to what you cannot express.

I am your hearts cry

Your joy

Your song

Your laughter

Your wow

Your tears and pain

As you hear my whisper and follow my path

I will carry you to the kiss of God

And whole worlds will be changed.

Conflicts calmed

Shattering wounds healed

Death destroyed.

I was born today

And will live forever

Come fly with me.


Tracy Williamson is an author of Christian devotional and teaching books.  She lives in Kent with her great friend and ministry partner Marilyn Baker and their 2 assistance dogs, Arlo Marilyn's guide dog and Bailey Tracy's new Hearing dog.  Tracy is passionate about reading and loves writing, spending time with friends, enjoying the dogs and listening to God.    She also loves, yellow, storms, endless chocolate and wine. 





 

 

 

 

 







Comments

  1. That is just so beautiful Tracey. It has really moved me today. I would love to keep your poem and perhaps even share it? I think many people would love to know just how special their prayers are at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy, thank you so much for your encouragement and yes of course you can keep, share or use it in whatever way you want to! So glad it is a blessing to you. Lots of love, Tracy x

      Delete
  2. I'm speechless and you won't hear me say that very often. So so beautiful and moving and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ruth, thank you! Wow did I really make you speechless, lol! So glad and encouraged by your comment. Lots of love, Tracy x

      Delete
  3. How Lovely! I love the refrain. May God hear our prayers for Ukraine.Amen. Beautiful poem. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful words and imagery. I so often think the same, can our prayers really make a difference? At times, I think that the answer is 'no' but God wants a relationship with us, therefore, I still chat with Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendan. Yes its so true that God wants a relationship and we too can hear His voice as we listen. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! He sure answered your prayer - and all of ours too, with that from-His-heart encouragement! Thank you so much, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting angle - the prayer speaking back. That will certainly be on my mind when I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive clearly saved this for a long time, but 8 months on it's still powerful and so appropriate. i love your phrase: I will carry you to the kiss of God. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment