A Season of Loss

 I feel like I am living through a season of loss. 

delete

Our first grandchild was due to be born last summer but very sadly, my son and his partner lost baby Lily, at 8 months after a stillbirth. They are still struggling to come to terms with their loss, anxious about future births and unable to see young children or babies yet. 

However, we have prayed for them to get married. My youngest son, a Christian, got married to his wife, Kelsey, an American, four years ago in Ohio in the US. It was a great occasion, a big American celebration as they were married by her father, a minister. The good news is that our eldest son and his Portuguese partner have also decided to get married before having any other children. A cause to celebrate, yes. But still feeling rather scarred and not being believers, they have opted not only for a registry office wedding, which would have been fine with us, but a private one. That is to say, just the two of them and two friends as witnesses, no family. As a compromise they are having a weekend honeymoon here in the Cotswolds near us. A small family meal and celebration. There will be no bigger celebration, no ceremony to remember. 

What has all this to do with writing you may ask? I feel a sense of loss with my writing too. Four years since the publication of my second book, Waireka, I have rescinded the contract with my publishers, who after selling me 200 books did nothing further to promote or sell more than about a dozen copies. My experience of publishers has been less than positive, self-publishing my first book, Alpha Male, even after winning a competition to get it published, but that's another story. 

I am currently involved in editing a tribute book for a remarkable Ethiopian 'Mother Teresa' figure who helped to improve the lot of many of the poorest people in her country. I am simply editing and arranging her writings which is a real privilege. 

Monica Ali

Will I write anything else of my own? I don't know at the moment. You might call it 'writer's block' or to quote the words of Monica Ali in 2011, "It felt too hard to write...It was the only thing I knew how to do and yet I didn't have the confidence to keep doing it." Amazing really for someone whose debut novel 'Brick Lane' had been called a literary phenomenon and secured a two-book deal! Yet this year she has written her first book for a decade, 'Love Marriage' after several unsuccessful novels, so I will never say never...

I would like to finish on a positive note though. I think the words of Habakkuk sum up my feelings perfectly and centre me/us back on God.

"Though the fig-tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour." (Habakkuk 3 verse 17)

Words that have meaning for me as a farmer's daughter.


Sheila Johnson lives in Cheltenham and is a qualified journalist who has written for a number of publications both local and national. She has also written two books under her pen name Sheila Donald, Alpha Male and Waireka. Her website can be found at
www.journojohnson.com


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry, Sheila, to hear what painful times you and your family are going through. I hope that this proves to be a fallow period, which will restore you all in the end.
    I have just bought Alpha Male - sounds just what I need after a tough day at work. Is Waireke available new to buy? Sounds fascinating.


    ReplyDelete
  2. It really sounds like you are going through a winter season, Sheila, but I have no doubt that God will use even this. Maybe a different kind of writing, filled with the emotions and experiences you have been through. God wastes nothing. But I am also heartbroken for your loss, and sorry that you feel grief over your books too. Praying for new inspiration and hope to arise in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this so moving. It does indeed sound like a season of loss. Those words from Habbakuk are powerful. I remember them in a song by Chris Bowater. Re your 2 novels, I read them both and thought them strong stories. I had a similar disappointment with a publisher who perhaps I shouldn't name but I spent a lot of money and saw only a third of it back. I took my book away from that publisher and brought it out under my own imprint. Read Tony Collins' latest book about the life of a publisher. It made me feel far more philosophical about my past failures and bad decisions and misjudgements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, empathising with your sadness. I hope and pray that in time you may come into a more fruitful period with both your writing and family matters. That Habakkuk verse is powerful for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that verse from Habakkuk. Thanks for sharing, Sheila - very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being brave and strong enough to write about your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your testimony. I had the same experience whenI lost my granddaughter in 2015, a week after her birth. She was my first son's first child! It was devastating . We all hung on to the Habakuk scripture you quoted AND 'there is hope for a tree cut down'[can't remember the verse]. God is so faithful, Sheila. He will do for your son what he did for mine. Today God has blessed them with 3 kids. We still had to pray for my daughter in law for many years because the trauma of losing a kid doesn't just go away! But today, God has given her joy in place of ashes. May Lily's soul rest in peace as she stays with Papa in Heaven. God will give your son and his partner more children. They too will have beauty for ashes . May God do for them both what He has done for our Francis.
    Your writing career will spring back to life and the future will celebrate more books from you I pray in Lord Jesus Christ's name. Amen! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brave, raw blog Sheila and they're the hardest ones to write. But they bless us all and I thank you for your honesty. And I agree with everyone else. In this season, you just want to be out of it, but God is working and He will honour you for your faith and belief in Him x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this really moving and I'm so sorry you are going through such a difficult time, Sheila. Praying now for encouragement and blessing, in both life and writing x

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I recommend Katherine May's book 'Wintering', which I am currently reading? She's not a Christian but she has so much wisdom about living through loss. She's also a good writer and an example to follow if writing memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be secure with the Father's arms carrying you and your family, Sheila. Thank you for sharing. Praying with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment