Down, but not out!

 

Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving.

                                                       Colossians 2:7

 

 

Below is a link to a story about an ancient oak in Richmond Park. Blown over in the gales of 1987 with only a few roots left in the earth it has regrown into a magnificent tree despite it still lying on its side. One of my friends felt this was a word for us as a church that if we have deep roots in the Lord new life and growth will sprout from the old and fallen and grow into something magnificent. This is not the time to look back, the past has gone but out of the old will grow the new. It will be of a different shape and form and not what we envisage and it will be for everyone, both young and old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkhfzwt21A

Last month I wrote of this being my personal Jubilee year, and my expectancy of the Lord doing great things, as He is the God who makes the impossible, possible. With a small breast cancer lump found in November I wasn’t down, but up, awaiting to see what He would do.  However, by 4th February I had what was a small op to remove that and my Sentinel node which has begun a nightmare experience of discomfort and pain.  I am continually asking the Lord what can I learn from this: compassion for others suffering came to mind, and to believe, in my weakness He will be my strength, and ‘after you have suffered a little while, He will himself restore you…’ 1 Peter 5:10.  I will walk in thanksgiving, taking that promise, and in Him He brings all things together for good. 

Whatever our experiences, learning, understanding and including pain how the Lord who loves us will always meet us in our place of need. And so yes, I’m at present physically knocked, down, but I am not out.  And,I'm expectant that my sustaining faith will sprout and grow into something magnificent that comes through my books fictional characters to bring physical, mental and spiritual health and healing to my readers.

UPDATE: Adrian who lives us in praying for me went into to hilarious laughter. I hadn’t realised I was tense until I felt myself relax.  From that moment have felt the pain gradually dissipating from my body, to just one arm movement, which is nothing like the original intensity.  Adrian said when that happens  he senses God is laughing at the enemy’s wiles, and they have to flee, so be it Lord.     

REQUEST: With the Friday of the WOW weekend declared a Bank Holiday would love to go, but need a lift - is driving along M4/M5 corridor and could pick me up at that motorway interchange?

Comments

  1. This is a great and very comforting post, Ruth. I'm not going through anything as hard as cancer but family issues continue to cause as grief, as does my writing which feels dead. I know you are right, not down but able to carry on. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, it might feel dead, but it's not. Your writing is in a time of rest but it will come back, stronger and more brilliant than ever. If you get a minute, listen to Sheridan Voysey's Pause for Thought on BBC Sounds (last week I think) on the concept of wintering.

      Delete
  2. A lovely encouraging post, Ruth. God does laugh at the enemy, and I have experienced the healing power of His joy too. I also love your oak tree picture, very similar to one I was given, and included in my book, The Healing. A tree might look dead, but if it's roots are deep and strong it will burst to life again when the season changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an old apple tree in our garden, that blew over in a storm before we moved in 34 years ago Like the oak in Richmond Park, it has re-rooted itself, and given us and our family years of delicious apple pies, crumbles and cakes. May you have the perseverance of these trees in your present situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tree is amazing - and a great spiritual metaphor. Praying for God's healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very comforting and touching. A broken reed He will not bruise!! He will give you a new song and a glorious testimony. May your Jubilee year be a miraculous one for you as well in the name of our Lord Jesus! Amen. Remain blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this, Ruth. I hadn't heard the story about the tree and that's so massively encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your encouraging words, I am off to Spain for two weeks so my next blog is already prepared, but prayers appreciated, as have to have another op to remove the found pre-cancer cells, but then with hormone therapy that should keep further intrusion at bay. Hopefully back to fit and well by my April contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Ruth. That picture says it all. I was in Sussex in 1987 and slept right through the night of the hurricane. Woke up early and went for a walk round the grounds of the the bible college I was living at at the time to find several large trees blown over like match sticks. It took a while for the shock to subside and to find out exactly what had happened. Normal life, lectures and so on, were suspended as we learnt how to use chain saws! Recovery took quite a while. Thank you for your article Ruth, may your recovery be swift. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment