A GOOD PLAN

 



A few years ago the church that I am a part of took on a property on the High Street, with the idea of turning it into a coffee shop. We had no church building, so it would be a place of contact between us and the community. People got on board with the vision, and an architect was hired to draw up some plans. What had been a small bookshop with a large storeroom behind was going to be opened up to make a light airy welcoming space.

I can remember the excitement when we sat around a table and saw those plans for the first time. They detailed not only where walls would be removed but where the serving counter would be, and how many tables we could comfortably fit in. Those plans gave us something to focus on and helped us direct our prayers. The coffee shop came into being and the church ran it successfully for a while. Now it is owned and run by church members as a business, but is still a welcoming, God-filled space. A real light on the High Street.



I was at a prayer meeting last week when a dear friend and prayer warrior brought out a dog-eared piece of paper. It was a copy of those plans. We smiled and laughed at the memories, and rejoiced in God’s answers to our prayers. But as we looked closely at those plans, we realised that the actual building work that had been done had altered considerably from what had been drawn. The serving counter was in a completely different place and a disabled toilet had been added.

It got me to thinking. It wasn’t wrong for us to pray over those plans as they were. The overall vision wasn’t wrong, just the fine details; they had to be changed and improved upon. How often in life, perhaps when we are facing big decisions or imminent change, do we wish God would just download detailed plans for us? He gave Moses detailed plans for the Tabernacle, and David plans for the Temple, after all. Truth is that God rarely works like that. More often He gives us a glimpse, an incomplete vision, a word or an impression, a deep knowing. Without the details. I think He does that to build our faith in Him. So that we walk towards that glimpsed vision, step by step, trusting Him to reveal His plans in more detail as we walk the path with Him. Perhaps that is so we are not overwhelmed by too much information too early - details that perhaps might scare us off!

At the same time as I was pondering those old architect plans, I read a blog about planning your novel before you write it. I have never done this in detail. When I have tried to plan storylines, they have inevitably changed beyond recognition by the time I’ve finished! I usually start with a vague idea. I know my characters, and what I want them to experience. I have a rough idea about where the story starts and ends. But the details… the bit in the middle. That comes later. Usually as I’m writing. As a consequence, I’ve found writing a detailed synopsis really difficult if I haven’t actually finished the story.

You may be different from me. And I don’t think there is a right or wrong way. You might like to plan ahead in detail, especially if you are writing non-fiction, or crime thrillers I suppose. And I know agents and publishers like to see a synopsis or plan, so we might have to do them if we want our work considered for publication.

I just wonder, if we invite God into our writing, might it follow that our detailed plans, any plans in fact, might very well be liable to change? Does that matter? As we do in life, can we carry on and trust Him in the process? Knowing that those changes will almost definitely be vast improvements.


Joy Margetts has loved writing for as long as she can remember. A retired nurse, mother of two, and a new grandparent, she also has a lifelong interest in history, and loves the Word of God. She makes her home on the beautiful North Wales coast.

Her debut novel 'The Healing', a work of Christian historical fiction, was published by Instant Apostle on 19 March 2021. Joy has also self published a short novella, 'The Beloved' as both a companion to 'The Healing', and as an easy to read standalone story, which is available on Amazon Kindle. Her second full length novel 'The Pilgrim' is due for publication by Instant Apostle in July 2022

More information on Joy and her writing, and her personal blog, can be found here www.joymargetts.com

Comments

  1. Wasn't it awesome for God giving out detailed plans to Noah, Moses, David and the rest? Our church too is right at the center in SE Thamesmead,where I live and we also prayed that the church became a truly community church for everyone. We planned barbecues and table tennis tournaments that drew in crowds of people. If only they could walk through the door of the church on Sunday mornings as well!! IOur writing is a miracle, a gift and a talent. We may not see or hear God physically give us plans but thank God for His Holy Spirit in us which gives us our ideas and the grace. I find it difficult, Joy, to visit previous writings [1979 - 1987] to make improvements[wish I could]. It feels to me like a dog going back on its vomit. However, my writings from the 21st century[2018] are a greater improvement.' Their Journey on Earth to Heaven' is the only book i've written and published in the 21st century. May we continue to hear God's plans for our lives and our writings with accurate clarity for His glory. Lovely post, Joy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. We see our coffee shop as an extension of church, we take opportunity to talk to people and pray for them there. I too hope tp hear God's plan clearly for my writing. Bless you

      Delete
  2. The story of the coffee shop is inspiring, showing God at work through his people. Long may it flourish as a place of sharing friendship and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a story of God's amazing provision and is definitely a place of friendship and kindness. As well as serving excellent coffee and cakes!!

      Delete
  3. I write in exactly that way too, Joy. And you're so right - when we begin, it's one way, when we finish, another. A good reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes; absolutely! It makes me think of that verse in Psalm 119:105: 'Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.' I had to learn it as a child (am still learning it in a more applicable way!) and it helps me to remember that a lamp often shows just the next step rather than a floodlight which illuminates the whole journey. If I'd known all the details of my life from God earlier than he revealed, I think it's fair to say I might well have run in the other direction!

    I'm certainly edging forward slowly with my current writing project. It will be fun to see if it ends up looking anything like I had imagined. Thanks, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that verse in Psalm 119 too. It's only fairly recently that I've realise the difference between the light showing the direction to head towards and the lamp highlighting the steps.

      Delete
  5. This is a lovely example of a great truth Joy. It applies to so many things in the field of human endeavour. May we hold this in our hearts during those early stages of finding our way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder that God's got this! I much prefer to have things planned out in detail (in life as well as in writing), so giving myself permission to deviate from the route in my head can be really challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Joy for writing your blog piece. I've mostly written non-fiction: one book, and several blogs/FB articles. There have been fiction stories but only for family consumption - mostly for my children when they were younger. But I've taken the plunge now, and am closing in on finishing a historical novel. So...it was very reassuring to read: 'I usually start with a vague idea. I know my characters, and what I want them to experience. I have a rough idea about where the story starts and ends. But the details… the bit in the middle. That comes later.' That's been my experience as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Joy, I find that really thought provoking and challenging for me at a time of change in my life and really heloful for my writing too. Bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment