beh-reh-SHEET by Kathleen McAnear Smith

 

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

 

This past year I started learning Hebrew. No one made me study this ancient, classical form of a language and some days I do not know what ever came over me to decide to memorize nouns and verbs, and learn tenses. I had completed my Certificate in Chaplaincy, and Hebrew wasn’t required. It was just that I knew I would not feel I had truly been to Bible College if I didn’t study Hebrew; and lo and behold I admit I fell in love with the language.

I learned a whole new aleph-bet, and sounded out those CVC words at the same speed as my four-year-old grandson read English. My grandson and I even took walks where we recited the aleph-bets of the language we were learning and spoke about the written vs spoken language. We faced the challenge of naming people, places and things and then remembering their names. At that stage Josh would sound out street signs, and I made bedroom door signs that spelled each of my grandsons name in Hebrew: Zachariah, Joshua, Samuel (the boys love sounding out Shmuuu-el). 

Josh has now left me far behind in reading his new language, but as I slowly plod along I feel this deep sense of discovery with every new Hebrew word. 

One of the interesting things about Hebrew is that I see words from Hebrew brought into the English language ( amen, hallelujah, jubilee), and it seems screen writers use these words regularly for names of characters. In the film "The Lion King," there is Ra   ( bad, bad, bad in Hebrew, but "resident assistant" in Arabic). Then I hear of women in films or song lyrics called Layla, which means "night." "Shrek" is  more of a Yiddish word meaning "frightening.". "Yentl" is an inspiring film showing a woman going to great lengths to gain the privilege of learning the Torah. 

I delight in sharing this new knowledge with the grandkids. It does make them laugh to see grandma can find Hebrew in the craziest of places.

As for Hebrew developing my awareness in other areas of life, such as my faith; I find it exciting that in the beginning God created- bara Elohim. From the beginning He is our creator, and He just paints the scene with words producing the heavens and the earth. We are made in His image, so of course we were made to create, though perhaps not on such a grand scale. I love the Hebraic words showing His majestic sweep of a scene dividing heavens and waters and creating names like “earth” and “seas.” Later, He would ask man to hand out a few names. What authority, as this right to name names was handed to man.

As I create scenes and give out names in my writings, it is astonishing to me that I can now read Genesis 1: 1-10 in Hebrew and see that from the very beginning, IN THE Beginning ( Beh-reh-SHEET) Our God was Creator King. It blows me away to even think for a moment I was made in His image. Perhaps learning a new language is enabling me to go deeper into my own language. I pray it helps me to stand back at the end of a day’s writing and call it “good.” I’m not sure this means morally good, just that it's finished and it works.

Have a boker tov!

 

 

Kathleen has been a parent on the move for so long that she now considers herself promoted to granny on the go! Thanks to Wendy H Jones of ACW she has had the courage and direction to begin a new website called Global Grandmas. www.globalgrandmas.net

Kathleen is working on her first novel, featuring inspiring Jamaican grandmothers who she had the privilege of knowing when she lived in Jamaica. She is also learning Hebrew and visiting her grandsons over half-term. Hallelujah.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. This is brilliant. Thank you, Kathleen and well done for learning Hebrew. I’m impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for you and all I’m learning from you.

      Delete
  2. I doff my hat to you, Kathleen! This is jolly impressive stuff. I loved finding out more about how Hebrew informs English - absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I doff right back! Thanks. We finally have electricity/internet/wifi, and it’s fun to read your kind comment.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I would love to learn Hebrew. I am in awe. I love that Hebrew words have become part of our vocabulary. I often hear 'hallelujah' out of context. But God is being praised anyway! I'm envious as to how the Bible must be coming to life for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the most incredible experience, having this opportunity. Spurgeon College (on line during Covid) is such a wonderful place to study.

      Delete
  4. This is lovely, Kathleen, thank you. I really like your insights. And 'He would ask a man to hand out a few names' made me smile, and it made think. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind of you! I stand in awe of the power of words, and how God gave us the privilege of speaking/writing.

      Delete
  5. How interesting!! Growing up, I've always desired having the flair for different languages and I would fantasize myself speaking arabic, french, italian,ordu, etc and all the local languages in Nigeria. I think it is awesome to learn Hebrew! Our Lord's own native tongue. I imagine that you would pray to Him in Hebrew!! How intimate to talk to Papa in Yiddish or Hebrew. Hope I'm correct that Yiddish is also Hebrew! Kindly let me know if I am wrong. Well done, you. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to amazing Sophia! I started learning Hebrew with a little fear and trembling, as I was never any good at learning languages in the classroom ( I learned more Spanish from a Nicaraguan boyfriend). Online was a good opportunity for me to take it at a slower pace. I do feel incredibly blessed to say the Shema every day now, in Hebrew. It’s the Hebrew prayer from Deuteronomy that starts “ Hear O Isreal…” As for Yiddish, it’s what you hear in New York (for example) and it’s a whole world of wonderful expressions that I haven’t begun to learn.

      Delete
  6. What an inspiring post! I'm all admiration. And I love the thought of you and your grandson learning your respective languages together 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a great time. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  7. So impressed with you learning Hebrew! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment