Keep hold of the old tales by Annmarie Miles

Growing up in Ireland, we often heard about the 'SeanchaĆ­' (pronounced shan-a-key). They were storytellers, but more than that, they were guardians and communicators of history. The were the holders of folklore, in a time where there was not much written down; at least not for or by the common man. Of course, the role was not confined to the Irish. Many cultures had their minstrels and troubadours. Encyclopaedic knowledge passed from generation to generation. 

Here in Wales, my husband's late great Aunty Olive was one such font of history. She was our own personal Google search. What ever subject you brought up, Aunty Olive had a family saga about it, which would lead her to another vaguely connected story and so on. 

I wanted to make a family board game called, "Aunty Olive's Tenuous Links." You would move forward if you could connect some family history to random words on cards. The first person who could connect their last story to Aunty Olive's most famous one, would be the winner. Her well-told tale was about the time a bus route she took to her nephew's farm had been changed, but the driver didn't tell her. She ended up miles from her intended destinations, and her nephew had to come and collect her. 

We could be talking about a chicken dinner, a warm day, a scarf, or a hole in the ground, it didn't matter, eventually Aunty Olive would say, "weeeeell, it's like that time I got on the bus to Nantgaredig and I ended up in Llandeilo. Hours late for dinner I was."

And you know what? I'd give anything to hear her tell that one again. 

My brother found some old cassette recordings of my dad singing and telling stories. He managed to put them on his computer and send them to others in the family. It's so amazing to hear my dad's voice again after all these years. I could recite his stories from memory, but no one tells them like he does. 

Are there stories in your family that you should capture? Record them, write them down, find some way of preserving them. Tell those old stories to the younger people in your family. Pass them on, pass them around and keep the storytelling alive. 

We live in a world of fake news and drama-obsessed media, let's make sure we keep a hold of the classic stories within our reach. As the people who tell them leave us, let their stories reman with us. 


Have you any family tales, preserved through the generations? 



Annmarie Miles is from Dublin, Ireland.
She lives with her husband Richard who is a pastor in the Eastern Valley of Gwent, in South Wales.
She writes short stories, magazine articles and devotional pieces for Christian radio. She is a lover of all things social media and offers help, in the guise of Sunflower Tech Wales to beginners who want to get started. You can find out about her fiction and her podcast, Words, Wobbles and Wisdom, here. You'll find her on social media @amowriting

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum used to tell one about her mother changing pillow ticking. In Lancashire the pillows were stuffed with cotton waste known as flocks. Grandma suddenly said, 'Ee, I've swallowed a flock!'

    I must remember to included this in the memoir I am putting off writing. Thank you, Annmmarie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled Annmarie when I read your post! I fell in love with Aunty Olive!! I happen to be fortunate that both my parents were story tellers. Their stories have provided rich fodder for my writing. I sometimes reflect sadly about how much my own children know about me, especilly as the present generation are more in to watching movies than reading books. I pour out myself and passed down family history in to my writing and sadly my children haven't found time to read them all! I wish I was more of a story teller. I also wish there was time created for busy young people to relax and listen to their old school parents rattling away family history... etc I wish so many things, Annmare. Beautiful post.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I love the idea of being the keeper of family stories. And to hear your dad's voice again now... what a wonderful thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a super read! Really witty and moving. We have two notebooks called 'The Funny Books' in our family, filled with all the funny things the kids said as they were growing up and, later in the books, the silly things WE said, which the kids wrote down once they were old enough! The entries are dated and named/aged (21/3/93 - Anna - 3 years old) and then, later, 14/3/02 - Dad - 42 years old. We still get the books out every now and again and cackle to ourselves when we need a cheer-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family on my grandmother's side were Irish too, Annmarie. I have heard some crazy stuff about them too, perhaps worth recording!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Aunty Olive sounds like a real character! Maybe she deserves a book of her own?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots and lots of stories. My grandfather's ship going to the bottom of the Channel in the war and the only things he was able to save were his second best suit and a photo of my grandmother. She and my mum in their kitchen in Glasgow during the way cooking the precious egg ration. They walked into the dining room, there was a huge crash and the ceiling fell in. All Nana could think of to say was "Are the eggs all right, Jeanie?" They were so they ate them, then attended to the mess in the kitchen. Great blog! And I also love the sound of Aunty Olive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment