'I'm sorry, I don't think we've ever met?'

Photo by Michal Matlon on Unsplash

Have you ever wondered who sells diaries to Miss Marple? 

Have you ever wanted to hear from the unnamed cleaner who cleared up after Baron Frankenstein's operations? 

Or maybe you'd like to hear from the chap who was the first person to light the cannons for the climax of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture?

You may be wondering why I am shining a spotlight on these unknown figures, and that is a perfectly valid thing to wonder. The reason for this, is that it's my latest Alpha challenge. Which is: 

The outline for your latest challenge is to write up to 300 words from the point of view of a hitherto unknown, or little-known, person connected in some way with a well-known character or event. Napoleon's hairdresser?  The porter at Macbeth's castle?  One of the other pupils at Hogwarts? We must be able to at least deduce the identity of the famous thing, even if you don't actually tell us.

The ACW Christmas anthology gave us some wonderful examples - hearing from the Inn keeper, the midwife or even from the donkey's perspective of Christ's birth.

I don't know who I'll focus on yet. There's so much to choose from. 

I think I'm leaning towards someone from the original 1812 orchestra for some reason. I don't know why. Though I may change my mind before the deadline of 22 Feb. 

I apologise for the shortness of this post. It's a combination of me having a loooooong visit to A&E last week - Superficial thrombophlebitis was my diagnosis - going on holiday next week, and general business. 

I'd love to hear who you'd go for if you were given this challenge. Please do let me know in the comments or on Facebook. 

Until next time.... I hope you all stay safe and well.

 


Comments

  1. Sorry to hear you were up at A&E Martin. I hope you are all sorted now. What a great post! Short and sweet - fabulous. That's really made me think. I don't suppose Queen Victoria's doctor had the most fun ("What! Again? For heavens sake, man, I have an empire to run!") and there must be countless more. It's too early and my brain is too fogged to think of any more, but as the day wears on, I will be pondering this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, yep, all better now, thankfully. Had a good holiday too. Sorry for my late reply. Glad it made you ponder. Yes, that was part of my challenge. Too many people to choose from! I think I'll settle on one of the many Egyptians who were affected by the plagues in Exodus. I was going to do Miss Marple's dog but I'm running out of time now. Thanks again for your support, it means so much! M x

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with a Hort post when it's that thought provoking! Mind is now buzzing. I've always wanted to give Grace Poole a voice, seeing she was at the centre of goings on at Thornfield in Jane Eyre. On a slightly more morbid note, what about the undertaker in Romeo and Juliet? Shakespeare probably would have made him darkly comic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy, that's very kind. Your typo made me smile as a 'Hort post' sounds a fun way to describe my blog posts :) I've seen the film of Jane Eyre but never read the book, and Romeo and Juliet is one of Shakespeare's plays that I know the best. I think I'm going to go for one of the many Egyptians who were affected by the plagues in Exodus.

      Delete
  3. I feel for you in your diagnose, Martin, having suffered from Phlebitis after the birth of both my children. Fortunately, I had all my veins stripped from my legs, apart from the deep ones, soon after and have had no more troubles. Interesting idea to put yourself in another's shoes, might help to spur on my writing again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, that can't have been fun! Thanks, Shelia, glad it solved the problem though. You are very welcome :)

      Delete
  4. How interesting. I think I would like to enter the mind of the rather bluff but appealing character of Beatrice, Maxim's sister in Rebecca. She has met both Mrs de Winters so I think it would be revealing. Best wishes to you, Martin, for your health and I hope you have a relaxing week away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Martin, hope you feel much better! I'm particularly glad that you are going off on holiday to snooze alittle. You deserve it. I love your point about minor characters. Like our toes , they may not seem important or even noticeable but they are crucial to the overall running of the success of the stories they are in. Very much like a peice in a jigsaw puzzle! Even if one peice is missing,the picture can never be complete. Food for thought. Thanks for your lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Sophia, and I'm sorry for my late reply. I didn't take my laptop on holiday so I'm catching up now. Your quote on the jigsaw puzzle sums it all up! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. What a fascinating challenge! I love looking at well-known Bible stories from the POV of a character on the edge of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't wait to read all the responses. After talking with a friend at the weekend I've decided to settle on one of the many Egyptians who were affected by the plagues in Exodus. I think I'll just do the one where everything goes pitch black. I'll see. Not much time and the clock is ticking! Thank you, Fiona

      Delete
  7. Interesting post. Hope you get better soon. In response the challenge I wonder what stories the less known characters would tell. So many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda, lots better now. I know! That was part of my problem, who to choose! I've decided to settle on one of the many Egyptians who were affected by the plagues in Exodus. I think I'll just do the one where everything goes pitch black. I'll see. Thanks again, Martin :)

      Delete

Post a Comment