What is in your heart?

 Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

 Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:

Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;  

                                    Extract from Ps.37:3-7


This 10inch heart is a variety of chocolate bars, eg Crunchie, Smarties, Twix and others melted down and covered in Maltesers.  For Valentine’s Day my son had made one each of these for his wife and two daughters.  He’d made a heart mould from cardboard, covered it in clean film and poured in the chocolate mix adding the Maltesers before it set.  Theirs were same size as this, but with a stick at the bottom to hold like lollipops.  When he sent me photos I suggested I had one for Mothers’ Day, And low and behold last Saturday just the ACW Historical Fiction Zoom meeting broke for lunch it arrived, I was so thrilled.  Although, I did wait until Sunday to start hacking my way through the Maltesers and ½inch thickness of chocolate.  The cost he said was far less than buying a far smaller heart from a chocolatier.    

Needless to say, he no longer lives in the ‘waste not, want not’ years of his childhood! And this recipe won’t appear on my blog as one heart is the equivalent cost of breakfast, lunch and dinner for five people!  This 40 day exercise has staggered me, the meals costing less than £2.00 ppp.  There are no crisps, biscuits, chocolates, puddings or sweet recipes, but the idea was to have a healthy diet, but there is wriggle room for a little of that.

By Easter those forty examples of the main meals we eat will end, but I will include on the blog ten of my most popular sweet dishes, made for visitors, or special occasions.  Some meals are very simple, others slightly more complicated which I have tried to keep to weekends when Mum’s hopefully have more time.  In the process came a few forgotten recipes, once big favourites, my meat loaf with tasty roast potatoes being one of those.

So what of the future for us all?  What is in your heart to do?  This time last year we were meant to be Cape Town and going on a cruise. This year a repeat of last!  Now rebooked again for January 2022.  However, as with everything, if we follow David the Psalmist’s words, this time won’t have been wasted, and we will be prepared for the next stage of God’s plans and purposes to be outworked.

It was odd to hear last Saturday that my books set in the 1960s & 70s can now be billed ‘historical’ as I write about what I know (with exaggeration)!  And it's encouraging publishers are becoming more accepting of novels which mention God.  My aim has always been to romance the soul and spirit with a punchy, 400 page turning story where God’s Word is seeded in the belief it never returns void.  So, if we are all trusting, delighting, committing and waiting, let's believe people will soon be reading the fruit of our labours in the land of the living!    

Comments

  1. What a delicious post, Ruth! I love the chocolate hearts your son made, a lovely idea despite the calories! For me, this past year has been about trusting God, in fact, it still is. When we allow Him in our lives, your quite right, nothing is wasted. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very surprised to hear, too, that my novel set in 1976 is viewed as 'historical'. It's set in the time of my childhood, so, no, I don't feel ancient at ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmhhm. I would like one of those home made chocolate hearts myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are the 60s and 70s seen as historical now? I suppose they are. What does that make me? Loved this story of the chocolate hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it was rather surprising to hear that I was classed as historical. Love the idea of that heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Fran having lived my teens in the 60s I don't feel ancient either. Glad you all liked my heart, and it will be a Malteser a day that will help me work and play, so hopefully the calories will be balanced with daily meals which don't include sweets. Thank you for reading my piece and your comments. When we had our breakout social part of the 'historical fiction' day Katherine it was good to be with you. And had the time last longer I was so excited about my heart I was close to showing you the real thing! I really enjoy the interaaction with other writers, and have always found at ACW days that is as beneficial as hearing the speakers. But will never forget Wendy your contribution to the Bath Writers' Day when you had us crying with laughter over some of your exploits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment