An Unexpected Gift

 



When it came to my youngest son’s first birthday, I wrapped up a little gift for his elder brother, so he did not feel too left out. He had struggled a little with adapting to having a sibling. It only cost a couple of pounds, a cheap plastic ‘pirate sword’ with an eye patch from Woolworths, and a bandana. Captain Pugwash was an influential character at the time…

When we started unwrapping the presents and ‘big brother’ realised there was something for him, his face lit up! He eagerly began to rip the paper off his gift, scraps flying everywhere. When he pulled out the cutlass, he jumped up and excitedly leapt around the room shouting, “Just what I always wanted, just what I always wanted!”  

We never quite had that reaction again from anticipated and far more expensive presents.

The sheer delight of an unexpected gift.

Joy is infectious and makes a lasting impression. We have not forgotten that first birthday, and the reaction of our oldest child, although it was nearly 25 years ago. There have been many birthdays since, and gratitude for gifts received, but none as memorable as ‘just what I always wanted.’

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, we receive an unexpected, and priceless gift - God’s saving grace. Our joy may be more contained, but none the less real. Particularly at this time of year we reflect on the fullness of the gift of our salvation, of God’s saving and keeping power. And if our joy has been tempered by trials, we can return to the source:

“Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.” Psalm 51:12

Then there is the gift of God’s common grace, that He distributes and gives generously to all.

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17

An unexpected gift comes at the most unlikely time. Often in the winter of our soul, when everything looks bleak, and there appears to be no way forward. It is then, when our own agendas and expectations are removed, that God brings a seed of hope. The unexpected gift can come in many different shapes and forms, after all God is the master craftsman and He gives individual gifts. 

Have you received an unexpected gift in this season?

I am delighting in the gift of time; less busyness has meant more productivity! To be able to be more reflective and explore different opportunities, to share faith and connect with people worldwide, has been such a surprise.

“I began to realize how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. If you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it full speed, embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good.” Roald Dahl.

Whatever season of writing you are in resting, working, or receiving, enjoy where you are at this moment. Delight in the unique, and maybe unexpected, gift that God has given you - it could be just what you've always wanted....

I blog at https://limitless-horizon.com . Any inspiration comes from the beauty of the coastline where I live in Wales, looking out in faith at the wide-open space of God’s grace. Competing for my time are my family, a part-time civil service job, and local church activities. Plus one horse and two dogs, who unreasonably demand my attention regardless of the weather….


Comments

  1. What a lovely way of introducing the subject of God's gift to us in Jesus. I thought the picture of your little son opening his present was delightful. It reminds me of an aunt I had who was a bit of a snob - not quite such a sweet picture in that way. I was only young and couldn't afford very much. I bought her a cheap little choir boy figurine from Woolworths, around half an old crown's worth. She was delighted thinking I had bought her a very expensive antique....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you still chuckle about that - and it does make you think how expectations colour our experiences....

      Delete
  2. Yes - this is a great piece, better, probably than what I'd have written about the great gift of time at home without distractions, meeting up with friends and family across the world via Zoom, re-connecting with old connections (my graduating class from school! Approx 50 years ago!), getting better acquainted with the details of the garden, noticing the march of dawn towards spring (photos from the windows!), lots of things - I have been thanking God fro these and was so encouraged by finding someone else who can see that there are ways in which our present restrictions can be also be a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare - yes I'm so thankful for the time and new experiences, to be able to see possibilities through the restrictions. Enjoy your gift...

      Delete
  3. A lovely story. I wonder if your son still remembers his special present, or maybe he was only a little one at the time. Unexpected gifts are always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was nearly five at the time, and I'm not sure if he would have remembered but we have mentioned it occasionally.....

      Delete
  4. So lovely. I can remember "the baby" (our newborn second son) buying our oldest, nearly three, a Bob the Builder tool kit to soften the blow of of house and parent sharing. He loved it and we all had to submit to regular "haircuts", for which he used a pair of plastic pliers. The pain of it was worth it to see his beaming face and know that he truly believed that the baby had gone to the shop and thought about just what he'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet, and it is a huge adjustment to make, to learn to share your whole world with someone else!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this thoughtful and encouraging reflection, Sharon. Inspirational gift of a quote from Roald Dahl too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that quote from Roald Dahl! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, thank you. I love that prayer - restore unto me the Joy of Thy salvation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment