Today I Am a Proper Writer (part 1)

 

A Monday off work – hurray! As dozing dreams swirl into conscious waking thought, I smile as I remember that today I am going to be a Proper Writer.

Husband forgot we both had the day off so has made plans to go out with Offspring No. 1., while Offspring No. 2 is deep in university studies. Boy’s Brigade plans made, promised knitting underway, gardening up to date. I have a whole day to finally make a start on a book project for the first time.

Not a blog post, not a prayer, not a poem, not a Bible story rewritten for a youth group. No, by the end of the day I will be a Proper Writer with an actual WIP I can casually mention in conversation.

But what does that mean? I need to plan this.

How do I structure today? Do I need set start and finish times, a specific lunchbreak? Or should I have woken earlier to get a few hours in before breakfast?

How do I fit in the other tasks that still need doing? The piles of laundry, the need for exercise, the actual blog post for ACW that’s due at the end of the week?

It’s a conundrum I lie in bed considering for some time, with few conclusions.

But I do make a start in what I know is true writerly fashion - with several cups of strong coffee and completely distracted by social media’s reaction to the Harry and Meghan interview.

The morning racing by, I decide I need some guidance. So I turn to Wendy H Jones’s Motivation Matters. I know she has several ideas for using outdoors to help the literary process along so perhaps I can try one of those. Not sure if Offspring No. 2 will appreciate a trip to the local cemetery as our daily walk though.

However, Wendy does recommend changing your clothes to help your brain get into gear. So I search through my wardrobe so I can Look Like a Writer. A long floppy jacket with a Van Gogh print that I bought from an obscure website seems a suitably artistic pick, even if it does result in another 10 minutes trying to find something to go with it. I will be just like Jo March in her ink-stained pinafore, the angle of her hat conveying her progress to her family.

As a confidence boost, I also put on some jewellery to remind me of my family who inspire and always encourage my writing.

Then the question of where to write. All the desk spaces are taken up by family members working from home. The conservatory offers a tempting option, with its uplifting and distracting views of the garden wildlife. But it reminds me too much of my paid job so I need to find somewhere else.

Instead I curl into my prayer chair, a cosy armchair in the back corner of our long lounge, uncaring of my posture for I Am A Writer. And I try to ignore, taking up most of the window, the rear view of a workman up a ladder, scraping moss from my neighbours’ roof with a hoe, like a giant dentist descaling teeth.

To be honest, I might as well have lunch by now and hope he’s gone by the time I come back. Now, what do writers eat, apart from cake and cheesecake?


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult children. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/


Comments

  1. Irony will get you anywhere! I hope you then did d Writerly Walk, having first eaten a Writer's Lunch (coffee and a sandwich - at the desk?) Happy scribbling/tapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is superb, Liz! You are definitely a Proper Writer. Coffee? Check. Distractions of many kinds? Check. Unsure where to sit to do the actual writing? Check. Love your image of the giant dentist descaling teeth. I hope your day with your WIP was fruitful - and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth 😊. Look out for Part 2 next month. And maybe Part 3, I'm not sure yet.

      Delete
    2. I like the idea of a series!

      Delete
  3. It sounds to me like you are a proper writer. I’m glad you find Motivation Matters to be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely, thank you Wendy.
      Sometimes it's reassuring to see ideas in there that I already do but it's also helped with how I'm approaching Rethink Church's Creative Lent Challenge (might write about that in a future post).

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed the humour of this. But I think you mean 'dozing dreams'. At first I was wondering what you'd been dosing yourself with to give you dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Veronica - I missed that typo. Apologies. Perhaps I had been dosing myself with too many anti histamines!

      Delete
  5. Lots of hidden truth in this fun blog. You are definitely a real writer. better celebrate on your next day off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! What constitutes a proper writer anyway? Ha ha. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. My first published attempt at written humour so glad it worked.

      Delete
  7. I can sooo relate to this... briliant. Now where's my coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me smile! Once you start watching a workman scraping moss off a roof rather than write, you know you're procrastinating! I really identified with this 'watching the morning disappear' account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. In my defence, whilst it wasn't a Coca Cola moment, he did take up a lot of my view! And if Elton John can use it in a song lyric...

      Delete
  9. Yes it all sounds like a recognisable average day of a bonefide writer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of writerly clothes - I'm going to try that one! Great post Liz. Godspeed with your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, Liz. You do have a knack of landing on universal weak spots, well, on mine anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment