Research by Rebecca Seaton

 

Research by Rebecca Seaton


Research is always best accompanied by a good cuppa!

Many authors talk about the importance of research. From crime writers with dubious search histories to historical writers aiming for the period-perfect dress codes, it makes the real difference to a story and can be a lot of fun, too.

🔎

Why do it?

Authenticity. You might think, as a fantasy writer, that I haven’t got a great deal of need for research. After all, I can’t learn magical powers or ride a dragon. However, I can make sure that the many activities my characters undertake which I haven’t got much idea about – sailing and singing, for example – are well-researched. I don’t want my reader to be distracted by something sounding wrong to them. There will be people reading it who know how to sail a boat or hold a tune and I want them to be swept up in the book, not frowning at errors which pull them out of it.

🔎

How?

The obvious answer is to Google but do use more than one source to cross-reference. Books might be better if you want to read around a subject – this will depend on how big a part the thing plays in your work overall. It’s always handy if you also know people who practise what you’re writing about. I know little about music and singing (hence Els’ angst!) but I do know plenty of people who do and are happy to share their knowledge and experience. This might even be a good way to widen your net of beta readers along the way!

 

Thorough research is obvious, not in the pages of detail but in the ring of truth. I really like the crime writer Val McDermid and really enjoyed her novel The Distant Echo. One thing I liked was the way McDermid, not a Christian, wrote such a convincing portrayal of a born-again Christian in one of the central characters. It wasn’t just that I didn’t groan at a poor portrayal of a Christian, I was drawn into the events of the book because that character (along with the others) was believable, so their story was too.

Christ calls us to integrity and authenticity, research might just help us with that. Not to mention, it’s a great tangent when the writing gets stuck!

   

 

Rebecca Seaton writes fantasy and is working on her second novel, A Prophet’s Grace.

 

 #amwriting #amwritingfantasy #ACW     




Comments

  1. Great post! One of the joys of research is looking back at your crazy Google searches! For me, lately, 'Were French Fancies a thing in 1976?' and 'Why did Harold Wilson resign?' and 'What were the most popular colours for Minis?' and 'Who produced Arctic Rolls?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research is really important, Rebecca. Thanks for this post. It's important in writing a book, especially if it's a historical novel, but it's also important for just writing an article and I'm sure important in writing fantasy too. I'm sure you have to know your genre well. I've learnt a little more of the importance of this on my creative writing course at the local university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think research is more important (and fun!) than we often realise.

      Delete
  3. So agree, Rebecca. Research is also enjoyable (well it is for me!) I have to watch out that I'm not obsessively researching instead of getting on with writing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how you’ve got m thinking about how to add a little dragon to my novel! Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Rebecca! Like Fran, I looked back over my search history and found "What is the poshest village in England?" "trendy footwear for 2021" "when is my due date if I got pregnant in July 2020?" and "How far is Addenbrookes from Porson Road?" Three Isabellas and a freelance writing question for a property! If anyone looked at our search history, as a collective, they'd think we were insane! But it must be done for the writing to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I have to know, which is the poshest village in England? How do they decide?!

      Delete
  6. I agree. I'll be hounding my cousins in Texas for information. Just wish I could get on a plane and head over "for research purposes," of course!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment