Go easy on yourself by Claire Musters



I have found myself writing more than one blog post on this subject; I think that’s reflective of where I am at – and many others of us too (when I opened Christian Writer after having written this, I saw editor James Prescott had written something similar). 

Having researched and written an article on the emotional cost of lockdown, during the past week I have had an intense experience of it as my kids have struggled to readjust to being at school.

 

Initially being at home on my own was very strange – I missed them, but also lapped up the sense of space and freedom. I’ve loved singing at the top of my voice, not worrying about interrupting an online lesson, and have also got back to doing a bit of exercise before settling down to work.

 

But writing has still been difficult, even though many of the distractions are gone. I recognise exhaustion has been a big part of this, but nevertheless it took me by surprise.

 

With a short, intense deadline I’ve been fine, although I’ve noticed my concentration doesn’t last too long. But, even though I now have more extended periods of time where I can sit and write, I’m finding I need to get up and take a break more regularly than I used to.

 

International Women’s Day came and went, without me blogging about it (something I do every year). And I’ve also kept quiet over all the discussions on women not feeling safe. Both of these subjects would usually get my writer’s juices flowing and I began to feel annoyed at myself for ‘missing opportunities’

 

Then I remembered that self-compassion truly is a thing.

 

There is a reason I feel wrung out. Why words aren’t coming so easily. And that needs acknowledging, addressing where necessary (hence I chose to go to bed rather than staying up to watch the recording of THE interview last week, even though one of the jobs I am currently doing is for an organisation that comments on current events).

 

I know we have each had our own different experiences during the three lockdowns. But I also know that none of us has remained unaffected. Initially, I naively thought my life wouldn’t change too much, as I’ve worked from home for years – while my writing set up is still the same, so much else has been transformed beyond recognition!

 

So, wherever you are at with your writing – whether totally engrossed and prolifically turning out a masterpiece, agonising over producing a single sentence, or somewhere in between – please go easy on yourself. And remember – self-compassion as a writer truly is a thing – and an important one at that.





Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, various Cover to Cover and Insight Guide titles. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook or physical book). Grace-Filled Marriage by Claire and Steve Musters will be published by Authentic Media on 7 May. Find out more at www.clairemusters.com and https://thebigchurchread.co.uk/grace-filled-marriage/ where you can sign up to receive emails about the reading plan and videos we are producing for the Big Church Read 







Comments

  1. Brilliant post Claire. We all need to remember this. Love to you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasure to read this...I feel normal! Going easy on myself resonated with me. It has been a really testing year, more for some than others. Thank you for sharing and may God bless your work 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dear much-loved friend, very sociable and people-loving, has spent lockdown cleaning out cupboards, decorating the house, making delicious meals from scratch, experimenting with baking ideas, sewing face masks, etc as well as going for walks and doing good turns to who-ever needs them. I think this is how she has coped with Lockdown. I've loved having time to work in our garden, but long for the grandchildren to come back and kick balls into the flowers and play hide and seek among the nooks and crannies. Thank you for a thoughtful piece, which I found very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for tackling this subject! On the whole lock down has been okay, a chance to get work done and re-meet old friends, (as well as see present friends, church group, and kids/grandkids) via Zoom. However it has begun to get to me now! So a timely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very timely and reassuring Claire. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your honesty and for the reminder that self compassion is important for us writers too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty, Claire and I feel as though you've given me permission to admit I dropped so many balls over the last year. That's hard for a mum to confess. Somehow, I feel as though it's my job to keep it all together - that without my glue, the family will fall and sometimes they do. For me it's been about learning to trust that God will catch us all. Thanks, Claire. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment