For the Love of New Words


Deborah Jenkins wrote a More than Writers blog the other day entitled ‘Wordplay’, with wonderful alternative meanings for medications. It fed into my recent thinking about the origins of the words we use. Also, I noticed a friend had a new Twitter handle consisting of the first two letters of her three names, which made me remember something from my childhood.

When I was 10 we moved from a tiny, cosy terraced house to a scarcely-standing but massive crumbling Victorian house. I remember my sisters and I walking through the huge dusty rooms with chunks of plaster hanging off the walls, a terrible mouldy smell and rotten floorboards. My very pregnant mother described how lovely it would be when we all had our own bedrooms, gently telling us that for now everyone would sleep together in the study downstairs because the floorboards were unsafe everywhere else.


I’m telling you the tale because this slightly scary time of my life was when we invented a word that evolved a little but has been used for perhaps 40 years. No, much longer, I am using it today.


The wreck of a house boasted a garden of head-high (to me) weeds instead of a lawn, with trees dropping squashy fruit covered with wasps. Right at the bottom of the tangled greenery we three girls discovered a shed - the door almost fell off when we opened it but inside it was dry, exuding the smell of earth and flowerpots. Cobwebs provided natural net curtains for the dirty window. Immediately it became not just a shed, but a small, magical safe place. We claimed it as our own and came up with a name - ‘The Maanpa’. A bit strange, you might think - but it was perfect for the property of Margaret, Angela and Pat. 


We spent many hours decorating and furnishing it, then one of us wrote rules for its use (that was Margaret, who became a headteacher). Once we all jumped off the roof to see if our newly sewn parachute silk skirts would float us gently down (they didn’t). By the time our new little brother Jonathan could be wheeled down in his pushchair to look at our prize we had changed the name to Maanpajo. A few years later my parents adopted another boy, Martin. So the name gained two more letters.


This memory has alerted me to all sorts of invented names or words. Out has come a book of humorous verse to reread Lewis Carroll’s fantastical vocabulary, especially in his poem ‘Jabberwocky’. To save making a fool of myself here, I checked out the words he used in the first stanza and, to my delight, ‘mimsy’ is listed and credited to LC himself.





I love it when fantasy or dystopian novels create worlds using words with just enough about them to be clear instantly. Sometimes one or two new or surprising words can create a different atmosphere, as in Year:0033, the latest great book by J.M.Evans, where there are ‘Correctioners’ who have fierce control over the population of ‘Area IF208’.


Did you know that anyone can submit a new word to be considered for the Oxford English Dictionary? The word must not already be in the OED with the new usage, so a full electronic version needs to be checked. Often these can be accessed in a public library. The word to be added must have been published in a book, periodical and/or newspaper using the specific meaning. 


My additions to different uses for words are modest. I may never have a new word added to the OED but I am in the middle of writing a dystopian novel where I have included ‘Edlink’, ‘Enforce- Patrol’ and ‘Penwriting’. For an article in a Psychology journal, I used ‘Timeholes’ as one word to describe an upsetting reaction by a child to a normal incident, when the anger or fear displayed was totally relevant in a similar situation with a previous carer.  Although the concept has been recorded since in other ways, I’m not sure my phrase, ‘dropping through timeholes’ has continued.


But, is it possible you have created a word that could infiltrate the English language? If so, why not look up public.oed.com and become a submitoedite?



Annie Try is the author of the Dr Mike Lewis stories, in which a fictional psychologist and his clients encounter extraordinary mysteries.


Comments

  1. Wonderful post, Angela! love the picture of the little girls playing in that shed with its special name. Mimsy is also a favourite word from Jabberwocky. As for timehole, it is so familiar somehow, that it jolly well ought to be a word if it isn't already, and your meaning for it is superb. A really great read with which to start the week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing - you painted such a picture that I was there with you in the shed. That sounds like the basis for a novel to me, or at least a novella. Beautiful! Mimsy also one of my favourite words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, entertaining an informative in equal measure. Now, if you will excuse me, I’m off to make ups some new words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 'Maanpa' a place made up of all your different names. I'm busy writing up my memoir at the moment and I guess your little place is a bit like our 'huts' or the disused houses on our farm where we played as children. Not necessary a 'safe' place in today's terms but a place of wonder and imagination which didn't really seem to do us a lot of harm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have recently invented the word 'lockturnal', which means having drifted into sleeping all day and being up all night, due to lockdown. Also in my family a wild area at the bottom of the garden is called a 'Haringey', owing to our garden having a borough/constituency boundary 3/4 of the way down, so that the shed and the bottom of the garden are in Haringey while the house and the majority of the garden are in Barnet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story of your family house move is lovely, and fits into a kind of sub-genre of tales about families, esp. those written in the mid-20th cent. Any chance it could become a novel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting.Our childhood memories are so precious and mae way for us in our future. Glad you kept the memory of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is me Sophia[Unknown] 19.03.21.Don't know how to get my own name out!

      Delete
  8. Lovely memories, words and images. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment