I'm Going on an Agent Hunt, I'm not Scared






I’m going on an Agent Hunt, I want to catch the right one but I’m scared. And the more I allow the fear to
swim around my head, the ‘what-ifs’ contaminate my mind and consume me like a plague. What if they

don’t like it? What if they say my writing is not to standard? What if I’m too slow? What if… 


Of course, you know I’m talking about pitching to agents! But why be scared? What is the point? And what, exactly, is there to be scared about? 


Uh, oh, thick oozy mud, and a swirling, whirling snowstorm. Yes, our writing journey will be full of pitfalls, challenges, and the opportunity to learn from our mistakes. But fear will do nothing except slow us down and, if we allow it, defeat us entirely. When immobilised by the big bad bear in that narrow, gloomy cave, we can’t go over it, we can’t go under it, we need to face it head-on.



Let’s take a look at the big bad bear of fear in more detail. Am I afraid I possess only one idea, one story, one set of characters that should they fail, I’ll be forever doomed to failure-dom? Am I afraid of being told that I can’t write for toffee or that my extravagant overuse of the ‘ing’ word is rather annoying, infuriating, exasperating and irritating?


When I really think about it, I’m not afraid of those things. That’s just the big bad bear telling me fibs. So what is it? Why hesitate? I wonder, could it be pride? To expose my masterpiece to possible criticism and rejection? To risk my fragile ego? 


This week, in the land of the little people (aka Class 5S aged 9 and a half) we discussed how making mistakes can actually help us to grow. But first, we need to take a risk, give it a go. It astonishes me that children today seem to feel immense pressure to be right all the time, and will even refuse to work because they are afraid they will get it wrong! During a spelling test, one of my children went on strike because he couldn’t spell one word. He put down his pencil and declared he was nothing more than a failure. “WHAT?” I cried. “If you got everything right all the time, I wouldn’t need to teach you!” Mistakes are great! They help us to identify what we need to learn. They help us to move forward.


And there it is, the dilemma. Because unless one takes the risk and exposes one’s fragile ego one cannot grow and soar into the heights of success-dom. Together, we can choose to march through the refining fires to be shaped, crafted and mentored. When a rejection slip arrives in one’s inbox, it’s time to celebrate, to look at it with pride and declare, “I have not failed. I am not discouraged, because every fruitless attempt discarded is often a step closer to success.” (Thomas Edison, Inventor and businessman 1847-1931)


So, I’m going on an Agent hunt. I’m going to catch the right one. I’m not scared. What a beautiful day! 



We're going on a Bear Hunt written by Micahel Rosen and Illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, first published 1989 Walker Books

Comments

  1. Happy hunting! Thomas Edison has the right approach, I think. It's all a process and each step of it is valuable. Still, have some chocolate handy! My one tip would be to send agents exactly what they ask for down to the last jot and tittle. Check their websites for up to date info on what they want, how they want it, how much of it they want, and when they want it. Use their names and find something about them that is individual such as 'I can see that you like romance and that you represent Ivor Bigheart' etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. Some great ideas there. Very helpful. X

      Delete
  2. All the best with it, Nikki !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile AND think - the best combination! Great post! Very best of luck with your agent hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgie, really glad I made you smile. 😀 X

      Delete
  4. What a lovely comparison - oh, and very scary indeed! That's sad about the children who are too scared of getting it wrong that they won't even try. Clearly, they've not understood resilience! My seven year old can be a bit like that too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant blog and you're quite right about the big bear of fear. I've faced up to him so many times, sometimes turning tail and fleeing. A writer as good as you can't remain unpublished for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was told that to land a literary agent you need three things: talent, perseverance and luck. So I wish you the very best of luck, Nikki, because I know that you have the other two in abundance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, this was absolutely wonderful!!! Your ending made me both beam and be moved to tears. I loved it! This line really made me smile too - in the land of the little people, what a brilliant way to describe been a primary school teacher. You are a fantastic teacher and a marvelous writer, and yes, I fully echo what Ruth said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks, Martin. That means so much. Xx

      Delete
  8. I love this post, Nikki, so clever. Yes, we should have confidence in ourselves. I once pitched to one of the biggest agents and never even received so much as an acknowledgement. Oh well, their loss...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the inspiring blog, and good luck with your hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki, I admire you so much! This is a cracking post full of wisdom and encouragement. Thank you and Godspeed on your hunt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You too, Mrs Jenkins! Im look forward to your next novel! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that book so much that, having been a teacher of even littler people for 15 years, I can recite it by heart and so I just love that you've used it to illustrate this adult bear-hunt. And great timing for me, as I'm about to embark on some big decisions myself and I don't even know what it is I'm looking for! Fabulous, Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment