A Deep Spirituality and Wisdom That Touches the Heart - by SC Skillman

Having just finished reading Joy Margetts' new book, The Healing, my mind is upon monasteries and abbeys. This post is not a review of Joy's beautiful book - my review will appear on my own blog at scskillman.com on 16th March 2021 -  but I am reminded of how there is a great interest in two areas of spirituality today, associated with cathedrals, and with monasticism.


Imagine you could step into a Monastery or Abbey right now – perhaps like the one which we saw in the 2005 TV series, or even the one in this image – and move apart from all the frantic busyness and stress and tension of your life - yes, even in the middle of the pandemic -  and receive some deep healing.

 I feel we can receive something very similar at Quiet Days run by our local churches, and I remember one in the Coventry Diocese where I heard three talks from Bishop John Stroyan, Bishop of Warwick – a man imbued in the literature of some of the world’s greatest mystics. Bishop John speaks in a low-key way and yet treasures of spiritual wisdom emerge almost as asides.  There is no stridency, nothing is declaimed; but those listening cannot but be aware that he speaks of the true underlying structure which drives our behaviour, our motivation and our attitudes and the way we react to events and circumstances in our lives.

During his talk he referred to the Martin Luther Memorial Church in Berlin –  which he described as “the most shocking church” he had been into. Figures of Nazi soldiers and members of the Hitler Youth are interspersed with figures from the Nativity, and an Aryan family of the type Hitler wanted in his Master Race also adorn the church. In addition, a strong, muscular, Aryan Christ is seen on the cross. It’s one of  the hundred churches Hitler built, the only one that has survived, intentionally as a chilling reminder of how evil systems can recruit the Christian faith to their cause. Apparently, the Bishop said, both the Nazis and the apartheid regime used Christian clothing for their causes – making God in their images, recruiting Him to serve their agendas.

This is a very strong warning to us, as the Bishop said: “Beware of what we think we know.”

Some of the wisdom the Bishop shared with us included  the observation that “you’ve faced the darkness and come through it, and God will use that as a gift to help others who struggle.”

How often do we see that those who have suffered the most are in the best position to support and comfort those who now suffer in the same way?

He said that pearls are tears shed around grit that irritates the oyster. Some people, as we know, become hard and embittered and resentful around that grit in their lives.

But the Bishop spoke about the weaving of God’s good purposes through events in our lives that we would never choose to happen. “Crises can be the bearers of grace.”

Julian of Norwich said, “In falling and rising again we are always held close in one love.”

An image the Bishop likes to use in his talks is one taken from his life as a dog-lover. He may be taking his two dogs for a walk and when they catch the exciting scent of a rabbit, they rush off away from him, overwhelmed by the thrill of the chase. He calls loudly for them to come back. They know his voice. And yet they practice what we all do:  “selective deafness”.

Another image comes from the bird world. The mother eagle puts sharp pointed uncomfortable things in the nest to make the eaglets fly.  Otherwise they would stay cosy in the nest. This is the only thing that makes them leave the nest, take wing and soar on the thermals.

 I hope we can take these images as messages for our time.


SC Skillman writes fiction and non-fiction and her latest book Paranormal Warwickshire was published in November 2020, for all those who love English history, travel photography and unexplained mysteries.  


Comments

  1. I never knew that about eagles. That's what's so incredible about nature. How do they KNOW to do these things? How very wise (although I don't suppose the little eaglets see it that way until hindsight makes them grateful).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that either. Fascinating. And the way you described Hitler's church in Berlin made me shiver. A timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes, the 'Nazi' church - how utterly obscene. And the fact they called it the Martin Luther Memorial Church - horrible. (I'm afraid that Luther, later on in life. turned viciously anti-Semitic. :( )

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, I love this! The first time I ever went on a proper retreat, with silence and stillness, was in October 1989, when I was 27. I found it a very profound and beautiful experience - especially as I was licking my wounds a bit after a rather intense romantic fling. That's when I first discovered the beauty of Compline. Since then, I've been on loads of retreats - although hardly any in a monastery or convent proper. I'd like to do that. Have you been watching 'The Retreat: Meditations from a Monastery', Sheila? Three episodes on BBCiPlayer. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philippa. I have bee on a number of retreats too, but not in a monastery. I must watch the 3 episodes you mention.

      Delete
  4. So beautifully written as always. Every blog you write always manages to touch me in some way. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Crises can be the bearers of grace' So true. Such an inspiring post. Thank you Sheila. When we used to live in London I would pay to spend the day in a local convent occasionally. Sitting in a huge empty library, looking through mullioned windows across the beautiful gardens, I spent time praying and writing in my 'God-book' (my daughter's name for it!). I felt so close to God there and had many revelations and moments of grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. That sounds beautiful.

      Delete

Post a Comment