For Beta or Worse

 

I want to talk this month about my recent experience of having my latest novel road-tested by beta readers. I realise that, for some of us, this would be the equivalent of undergoing surgery without anaesthetic; but I’m happy to report that, not only did the patient (the author) survive, but the long-term prognosis for the novel is cautiously optimistic.


Having readers for our writing is A Good Thing, surely? (*begins to daydream of effusive adulation, people queuing to polish my halo, a new Oscar being carved in my image.)

But, potentially, it could be A Very Hard-to-Face Thing. I mean, what if – saints preserve us – they don’t like it? Find fault? Point at our Emperor’s New Clothes?

The fact is, whichever way we view it, I’ve found that having beta readers is An Essential Thing if I’m serious about becoming a better writer.

So, to talk specifics. I spent about six months last year crafting my latest magnus opus. By November, I’d tweaked and primped until I could do no more. My agent loved it (hurrah, since she really hadn’t liked my previous one!) but said we had to get it read. She duly sent it to a friend of hers familiar to the industry, and I sent it to members of my writing group and a friend further afield. When the feedback came in, I simply glanced at it before collating it into a single document. It wasn’t until the meeting with my agent that I looked at it properly and, even when I did, I made sure that I didn’t let my heart get too involved. This was a dispassionate, strategic planning meeting, not a personal dissection.

In amongst the positive enthusiasm were some scathing criticisms. The ending didn’t work. The plot was at times unconvincing. The characters were… Well, you get the point. And, do you know what? I didn’t cry into my Weetabix. I didn’t throw my writing ambition away.

I was happy.

Yes, really!

Because, suddenly, I was no longer writing solo but as part of a team. The highlighted comments (pasted all over my study wall!) show me not only where to improve but how to improve. One person’s suggestion had me spending a very pleasant, if slightly bizarre, morning researching the qualities of a psychopath. Others queried something which I could see needed expanding. Most wanted more – which was hugely encouraging.

I’ve spent February beavering away at the re-write, which should be finished very soon, and then I’ll send it out AGAIN.

I’ll keep you posted…

 


 

 Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and vice-chair of ACW. She is signed to Intersaga Literary Agency.

Follow her on Twitter (@Jawywa) and Facebook.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you’ve absolutely nailed the skill of receiving feedback well, which is crucial and so hard for a lot of us writers! I might borrow your idea of collating it all into one document before reading. All the best for the re-writes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, but without receiving feedback we gain neither encouragement nor pointers to the way forward. Thanks for reading and commenting, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. It is hard to receive criticism, constructive or otherwise, but it makes us better writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and, actually, it was empowering when I could disagree with some of the comments, too.

      Delete
  4. How brave! Sounds like a great strategy - but don’t let it extinguish your initial vision and impetus x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How brave! Sounds like a great strategy - but don’t let it extinguish your initial vision and impetus x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, definitely not. If anything, Eileen, it sharpened my original vision...

      Delete
  6. That's such a helpful way to look at it. I think screenwriters probably get to this point of acceptance before novelists might because of the myriad number of people it takes to adapt a script and take it to the final stage. They're used to seeing their work pulled to bits and expect it as part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we're too precious about our writing? I don't know. I can only repeat how valuable the sense of collaboration has been.

      Delete
  7. Such a wise, encouraging post though I have to admit this is the part I liked most - ' (*begins to daydream of effusive adulation, people queuing to polish my halo, a new Oscar being carved in my image.)' Who hasn't had those moments of imagined glory?! But, as you say, the most helpful ones are the ones that come disguised. The point is, no one will bother to suggest improvements to a book that simply doesn't work. And yours clearly does, it just needs a few tweaks. Looking forward to the finished result, Janey! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! It's more than a few tweaks but I'm getting there. You're such a great encourager.

      Delete
  8. Yes, the process of collaboration that goes with the territory of receiving feedback is strangely satisfying, but sometimes you do wonder.... how much of this is really what is wrong with the script or with the novel and how much is just one person's perspective? Thus that thing of having more than one person is SO important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely wouldn't be overly swayed by one person's opinion. It's when more are saying a similar thing that it becomes really valuable.

      Delete
  9. Getting reviews is very difficult for an Indie author. https://usbookreviews.com/ is an affordable service to get high-quality reviews and gain visibility for your book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh for your resilience! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgie! I tell myself it’s worth the pain...

      Delete
  11. I think your attitude is my goal. I'm still more with "What if...they don't like my Emperor's New Clothes?" What if they all have a different opinion?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment