Writing in weakness - by Liz Carter

Me right now :D


What do you do when you're a writer and suddenly your hands don't work very well and your brain is muddied with a whole load of fog?

As writers we are used to relying on our own strengths, both physically and mentally. But sometimes, those strengths are lost and we plunge into weakness and suddenly we have to find new ways of coping within that.

About six weeks ago I caught Covid on holiday. My doctor has now told me I have 'long Covid' or 'post Covid' which could last days, weeks, or months (or longer.) The ravages it's taken on me has completely flattened me and frightened me too. After a long time shielding I'd finally felt less worried, but unfortunately it knocked me sideways. The hardest thing so far (after the two weeks of misery in bed) has been this sheer weakness and difficulty thinking, like my cognitive processes have slowed down - brain fog does really sum it up. For this, please forgive me for a short and probably not too articulate post; it hurts to type and I am soooo slow.

But I wanted to write here today to reflect on what it really means to let Christ's strength be made perfect in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). I've alaways found this passage helpful because having suffered chronic illness all my life I have had to learn to lean on God's strength. But this experience is even more difficult, because it attacks the things I rely on. It is attacking my mind, usually fairly clear outside of infections, usually able to write so quickly and think on my feet. It's attacking my body, especially my hands (covid can cause nerve damage apparently), which I am so reliant on for their quick response to what's in my head. Basically everything I rely on as a writer is being attacked.

So what does this mean for my writing? For me now it means a process of slowing down, of relearning how to think, of pacing myself (I had some amazing advice on this from Tanya Marlow who sadly knows all too well these feelings from ME). But what it cannot mean is writing myself off and saying that I am useless now, because God works through weakness. God turns upside down power and strength and moves in human weakness, and I think that when as writers we are vulnerable and honest about this it can hlep others in so many different ways.

I am running out of steam now and the words are dancing in my vision. I'd love to start a conversation: how do you cope with the weak times? How have you found God working in your weakness when it comes to writing and communicating? What would you say to someone who suddenly feels useless after an illness has taken something away from them?

For me it's that God has always been here, present even when I was almost delirious and faint in those early days. Its that God is still here now, guiding and encouraging through the gentle whisper of the Spirit. Saying keep going. Go slowly. Go gently. It's OK.

I hope that normal service will be resumed shortly. But for now I'm learning to find God in the weak spaces and to write within those spaces. It's all I can do.


Liz Carter is an author, poet and editor from Shropshire. She loves to write about the difficult and painful times in life, and how we can find gold in the mess. Her books Catching Contentment and Treasure in Dark Places are available in online bookstores.  Her next non-fiction book with The Good Book Company is coming in Spring 2023. She is poet-in-residence of her local town and works freelance to proofread, format and design books.


Comments

  1. Liz, my heart goes out to you. Praying right now. Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart. Glad bless you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending enormous love and holding you in prayer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has really blessed me today. Why? I can remember a time when I was first ill when I could not concentrate to read or write. It was devastating. I still have ME, but now I can read and write - not for hours on end, but in spurts long enough to be productive. I've written two whole books! There were days in the early days when I so wanted to write - and all I heard God say was 'rest'. I could not have imagined then, where I am now. It's all His grace. I believe you will come through this and your writing will be even better for it. More real, as this blog post is, maybe. The biggest blessing? I have been seriously questioning whether I should continue to write, and asking God to speak to me. Today I heard Him through your words. I can't do all the things I'd love to do because of my illness, but I CAN write and serve Him with my writing, and that is a gift I should not take for granted,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy your comment has blessed me so much. Thank you. ❤️

      Delete
  4. Thank you for making the effort to write this, Liz, and for doing so with such honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Liz. As a fellow chronically ill person I can relate to the mind usually being the 'strong, healthy' part, and I can only imagine what it must be like to feel you are losing that too. I feel like I should have more wisdom than I do regarding coping with weakness, but every new health challenge is always a crushing disappointment and a revelation that I still don't trust God as I want to. Praying for you, I really hope this season doesn't last too long, but for as long as it does I pray you know that peace of having him with you and knowing your identity is in him alone and you are precious, just as you are. Sending love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz, I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing the impacts of long covid. I have a chronic illness (fibromyalgia) which causes widespread pain but particularly affects my hands, back and knees. I've found using arthritis gloves can help ease the pain in my hands, as well as finding a pacing method that you find is helpful. I have ten buttons in a little jar, and each button represents a certain amount of energy (4 or 5 buttons for going to work, two buttons for cooking dinner etc.) I've found this helps with fatigue. Brain fog is horrible and I still don't know much about dealing with it, but what you've shared has been really encouraging for me, thank you, it's helping me to learn to lean on God's strength x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an honest post. Thank you. It enables me to pray for you effectively. I think the mental side of being ill is one of the hardest things of all. Being reassured by the love of friends and family is one of the things that helps me most. So, thank you, Liz, for being such a much loved and supportive member of ACW. You are greatly valued and so generous with your time and advice. Know how much you are loved xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this, Liz. Thank you for your honesty - I think we need more of that. In times when I am laid low, it is difficult for me to take time out. Sometimes it's the body's way of saying, you need rest. Thank you for all you do and the inspiring words you bring to us. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post, an inspiration to all of us who are suffering something at the moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz. I had Covid at the same time as you, not as badly but oof work for two and a half weeks. Back for a week then off for another two with side effects from the painkillers I'd needed. And the fatigue has been overwhelming.
    Ironically, I teach fatigue management!
    Fatigue hits us mentally, emotionally, not just physically so that brain fog may be part of that. Pacing really helps but the key thing is to stop before you need to. I've had to really practise that these last 6 weeks.
    If I can help at all, please let me know.
    I also live with depression (another cause of fatigue at times) and one thing I've learned through that (but no doubt will need to again) is that God loves us just because we are His beloved child and not for anything we do (much as He loves our writing) - we don't need to earn our value. And I continue to hold onto His promise to 'restore the years the locusts have eaten ' - I'm praying that for you too.
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you feel this way or anyone, just let your body, mind and soul rest. Don't plague yourself with guilt, anxiety or any negativity. No matter how long it takes, do things you enjoy doing, watching or listening to. The mood will return for writing, reading or work. Take life at your stride. May God perfect every aspect of your health,Liz, in our Lord Jesus Christ's name. Amen.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot to add that it is the report of the Lord we shall believe. His report is that you are healed and it is well with your soul. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not alone. I have been struck down with a heinous chest infection. It's easy to get frustrated but I'm trying to relax, catching up on movies since I don't have the strength to read. I'm hoping this will prove a useful investment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment