I Am Not Writing

Summer is not a good time for writing.  Most writers regard this as a 'truth universally acknowledged'.  I know there are always those  stalwarts who always carry on regardless, but my productivity over the past couple of months has been pathetic.  I placed a few flash pieces at the beginning of July, but since then I’ve written diddly squat, even though my (paid) work has been on hold since the beginning of July.  

Most people blame everything on Brexit, the Pandemic, the war in Ukraine and Boris Johnson,  but none of these apply to me.  We are hosting a Ukrainian lady but I cannot say that she is preventing me from writing.  So what excuses can I find? 

  • Holidays.  They get in the way of writing, don’t they?  In the nicest possible way, though.  We had a wonderful time.  I was full of good intentions, to WRITE SOMETHING while I was there, but exactly when and how I hadn’t worked out… so it never happened.   I did listen to a webinar on writing historical fiction, one morning at about five o’clock, when I couldn’t sleep.
  • Children.  I shouldn’t say too much here, seeing as I know that younger writers have six weeks of school holiday to fill.  But my husband and I are taking our turn in looking after the grandchildren, and they need attention full time full-on.   (“Grandma, I’m hungry… Can I watch something… I want my… Grandma, where are you?”)
  • Temperature.  It’s too hot.  Yes, it is.  Really.
  •  Harvest.  Everything’s growing like mad and I’m not going to waste it.  I cook.  I realise that many of my writer friends don’t cook, and they get more writing done.  I just had to make elderberry jelly from the trug- load of elderberries from our tree … tomato soup from the kilo or so of tomatoes which we’re picking every day… then there’s courgettes… beans…  And my neighbour brought us a bag of damsons so I felt obliged to make more jam.
I suppose I have written and delivered the intercessions for church this morning, and sorted out the booking page for the next ACW writers’ event… and carried out a refurb of the church website.   Really, there’s always so much to do.

But over the weekend I did some real writing writing.  I composed and submitted a piece of flash for Paragraph Planet.  OK, I know what you’re going to say.  The word length for Paragraph Planet pieces is 75 words, including the title.  Well, I tried.  And I’m writing this blog post, aren’t I? 

Comments

  1. Rosemary, you're doing a whole lot better than me in every way! But I have to accept the fallow periods, hoping and praying they don't last worryingly long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you've said it exactly how it is! I've been doing some revisions which isn't quite so exhausting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! And love all your jam making - jealous! There will be plenty of time ahead in the cold winter months to write. Enjoy the summer while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer time too is not a good time for my writing. That is when I do grandma duties like you. It made me smile seeing those things the grands say. I can add one or two more: ;Grandma can I have apple juice? Grandma I need to wee,,, Lovely post. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even my dairy has fallen by the wayside! We'll all get back to it soon, won't we??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry be contrary but the summer is the only time I have to devote to writing. Termtime is just too demanding. But I have allowed some of the fruit to moulder instead of cooking up lovely things like you have. And we go on holiday in the autumn. I loved your post though Rosemary. And you've cheered a whole lot of people up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your comments. And on finding it as, seeing as I was on grandparent duty today, I forgot that this was the day for my post and I didn’t post it on Facebook.
    It seems that - apart from Deborah - most people find summer writing difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In addition to my ‘O dear! I set aside August for writing & catching trains for Saturday’s conference in Cambridge’ FB response…I’d just like to add something strange about the final lap. You’ve run 4600 m and are worn out but the bell goes and some unknown strength lurking deep down somewhere propels your forward for the final lap. It was a bit like that yesterday - August 31st - the review/edit process somehow found the finishing tape. And now in the hands of a.n.other for comment. Yep. August was a struggle but Sept 1st is burden free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am stressing about the greengages in the fridge which should be made into jam, the unpicked blackberries on the lane and the marrows which should be transformed into chutney. My summer has been mad, but that's because I write as a freelancer so it's busy all year round. I am suffering from preserve and pickle guilt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment