What did you learn or teach today? Do you already know everything? By Brendan Conboy

Have you ever met a ‘Know-it-all?’  Perhaps I should say, someone that ‘think’ they know everything that there is to know about a particular subject.  They ‘think’ that there is nothing more to learn.  The problem with people with this type of attitude is that it is very unlikely that they will ever progress any further in life and if they are a writer, they will very soon hit a wall.  I have also found that people who are burdened with this mindset often believe Francis Bacon’s quote, that ‘knowledge is power.’  They are afraid to share their knowledge.

This attitude is the polar opposite of the ACW culture of helping and supporting others.  Wendy H Jones is a great example of a writer who has helped countless writers.  She is not afraid to share her knowledge, yet she also admits that she still has much to learn.  Having recently signed a contract with a literary agent, she made a comment that she has learnt loads from them.  I was in awe of that comment.

One of my favourite expressions is, ‘every day is a learning day.’  I say it virtually every week either when I learn something new or when I teach someone the things that I know.  The influence of the ACW culture has taught me to do this more often but let’s not forget that it is also part of our Christian culture.  James 2 talks about helping others, though rather than going all theological, I’ll express it poetically (from my book Popcorn Poetry).

Just One

Inspired by James 2

 If I helped just one person every day?

It doesn’t have to be in a massive way

It could be little things like holding a door

Or helping someone whose health is poor

Giving a lift in your car, not far

They say, “Thank you, you’re a star.”

Just think where you could begin

Take out a neighbour’s bin and get it in

Don’t make it a big deal, just keep it real

Share your knowledge with others in need

Show them how, watch where it leads

Give helpful advice, be nice

It doesn’t have to be a sacrifice

You could give someone an old book

Better still teach them to cook

Then they will feed themselves

And go and teach someone else

Or bake a mate a cake

Don’t let the day go to waste

Have a go, step out in faith

Work in faith 24/7

But good deeds don’t get you into heaven

Salvation faith brings deeds of grace

Faith without works is a dead faith

Do not make the assumption that others must know what you know - be willing to help them, you do have something to offer.  I am messaged every week by someone who wants to ‘pick my brains’ on matters of writing and marketing and I am honoured to help.  In return for me, it makes me realise just how far I have come, so it is a ‘win-win situation.




This James 2 culture is the reason why I provide the ‘Creative Christians Chat Show’ podcast, to give other creatives a platform.  It is the reason why I was led to set up ‘Book Blest’, a book festival for Christian authors.  It is the reason why I am willing to share the knowledge behind these projects, so that others can do the same.

I will most likely share some more about Book Blest in future blogs, for now though, who will you help today?


Brendan Conboy is the author of 10 published books including his fascinating autobiography, The Golden Thread.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 4 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Visit Brendan's website HERE. 


Comments

  1. That's a great way to start the day, Brendan! I heartily agree. Funnily enough, lying awake and over-caffeinated last night I was having exactly the same thoughts. Wendy has helped me enormously and so many ACW-ers have been incredibly generous with their knowledge. What good is being a writer and a creative if you don't help others? I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, you are also a great encourager. I try to help at least one person each day, though often my words fall on deaf ears. We never give up trying though.

      Delete
  2. What a very beautiful post. I helped a friend by posting a review on her book. I'm slowly but hopefully trying to decrease my 2br pile. I love your post because it makes me realise we must never think we have nothing to offer! There is always something. Even reading your post and dropping my comment is something I have helped you with today! Hope I am right. Encouragement , no matter how small goes a long way to help that person. I totally agree with you. God bless all ACWers who share their knowledge with others in so many ways to bless us. Amen. Great post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, you are such a natural encourager, bless you.

      Delete
  3. You are so generous Brendan, in helping other Christian authors, just to have a platform. I was thrilled to be on your podcast and can't wait for Book Blest. And to see where the idea might go! I appreciate all the work you are putting in, in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy, we are all tools in God's Kingdom toolbox. He uses all of us, all we have to do is be available wholey. I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this, Brendan. I couldn’t agree more. Every ACWer has been terrific and the culture of mutual support is a beautiful kingdom thing, evidencing Jesus’ values which contradict and show up those of the world. I could never have come to where I am today without ACW (including Wendy Jones!) A lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment