What a difference a month makes

 

Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash

Previously in the exciting life of Martin Horton... 

Last month, you may recall that I was delighted that some of my writing had been selected to be read out by professional actors. No, more than delighted. I was over the moon, and slightly stunned. As we move into August, away from the heady delights of the Lionesses victory, and deeper into summer holiday mode, you find me deflated and contemplative. 

Why is this, you may cry? 

Because it all feels rather like a mirage. Let me explain...

At first, everything seemed delightful. I was thrilled when I read about the actor who would be playing Mother, shared my writer bio, and read the other scripts, but then I received the message that due to low ticket sales, the production would be postponed, and now won't be happening till Jan 2023. 

Maybe I shouldn't be so down. It's still happening, and the event may be even more successful if the company are awarded the funding that they've applied for. So it's not so much that the bubble has burst, more that it's floated far away. 

So what am I doing in the meantime? 

I've started again at turning Mother's murders into a novel. I'm 3002 words in, and I'm using a program called Zoho which I'm finding useful. As for the quality of those words, well that's a different story, but as writer friend wisely said, I should try and not think about that as it could sabotage me moving ahead, I just need to remind myself that this is a first draft and keep going. So that's what I'm going to do. I'll keep you updated in Sept.

I've recently finished reading Different Seasons by Stephen King. A collection of novellas, of which The body, was the inspiration for Stand by Me, and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was, yes you've guessed it, made into The Shawshank Redemption. Both well worth reading, especially the Body. Now I'm reading the sequel to the Penguin book I wrote a recent blog post about. A lovely contrast to Horror.

Let me know in the comments or on Facebook how situations changed for you in ways that you didn't expect. I'd love to hear them or what you are reading. 

Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here. 






Comments

  1. As I read through your post, I remembered that God said, ALL things work for our good. Delayed yes, but it will be the best outcome for you in terms of blessings. At least, you have been given the opportunity to turn the book to a novel as well! Recently, a situationn changed for me unexpectedly with my book, 'The Captive's Crown'! It used to be hundreds of thousands in ranking in its category and genre. I used to feel discouraged and stopped checking its progress. Then, I recently checked and saw it was #4 in Christian Fantasy genre!! Of course, I excitedly put the news on Facebook to the glory of God.Just the opportunity to be thrilled with joy was so amazing! Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia, that is a wonderful way to look at this. And that is fantastic news about your book. Praise God indeed!

      Delete
  2. I didn't get a job I really wanted this year. But the rejection pushed me (finally) into a decision to leave the organisation I've worked for for 18 years. I looked for a sensible alternative, such as another job or an MSc in Advanced Practice. Whilst reading about the latter, I came across an MA course in Creative Writing. Encouraged by my husband, I applied, and I'm off to university in September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's fantastic news! Thank you for sharing that, Liz. A wonderful positive example of how things can change. So excited for you and looking forward to hearing more :)

      Delete
  3. I really feel for you, Martin! Disappointment is hard to bear. But you put it beautifully and God will have a plan. He always does x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth, that's very kind, and something that it's good to be reminded of :) x

      Delete
  4. A situation changed for me when I slunk into Waterstones Leamington Spa, thinking I'd check to see if they were stocking my book, and I went straight upstairs thinking it would be lurking in an obscure shelf on the first floor out of sight somewhere. I couldn't find it, so I went downstairs and summoned up the courage to ask the lady at the till, and she pointed out that my two Warwickshire books were on a shelf, cover facing out, straight in the eye-line of customers walking through the front door! Then she asked me to sign all the copies as customers love signed copies, and handed me a sharpie so I could write my name in big black flourishing style. She even offered to take photos of me signing them, to put on social media. So after that, I walked out of Waterstones feeling a lot different from when I walked in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you, Martin! A production of your work is an awesome achievement. Things are often delayed but it will happen. You must keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment