Plantser? by Emily Owen

 “Most of our childhood is stored not in photos, but in certain biscuits, lights of day, smells, textures of carpet.” 

 Alain de Botton

I’d add ‘books’ to this quote.

I recently relived some of my childhood.

My niece, Abbie, has discovered Malory Towers, a series of books about a girl’s boarding school, which I greatly enjoyed as a child. They were frequently read under the covers after lights out.

I saw that Malory Towers has been made into a television series, a discovery which coincided with Abbie coming to stay, so we curled up together and watched episode after episode. 

Malory Towers was written by Enid Blyton.

I know Enid Blyton has a marmite-esque ‘love/hate’ element to her, and I imagine there will be readers of this blog who fall into each category.


I loved her books. They fed my imagination. I, my three younger sisters, and a large toy dog, once spent an entire summer holiday ‘being’ the Famous Five.

As a child, reading about magical worlds at the top of trees, and adventure after adventure, fascinated me.

Now, reintroduced to Enid Blyton’s work by my niece, I’m intrigued about her approach to writing (here):

·       Enid Blyton typed out her stories while sitting in her study or in the garden, her typewriter perched on her knees. She did not learn to touch-type but used her two forefingers, still managing to type with speed and accuracy.

This point makes me feel better about my own typing, especially as I have now graduated to typing with five (or is it six?) fingers.

·       Enid Blyton did not plan a work of fiction before starting to write it.

I know, from tweets I see, that there are ‘planner’ writers and ’pantser’ writers. Enid Blyton was apparently the latter. I am the former. I do like a plan. Up until now, I have written non-fiction, which I find suits the planner. I write within a structure. And I’m fine with that.

I am now working on my first fiction book, and I approached it like a true planner. I outlined chapter content before beginning to write. I thought I’d structure each chapter similarly. When I began to five (or is it six) finger type the story, this approach worked…..until it didn’t (maybe I should have read Blyton's tips earlier!).

As the story evolved, I was increasingly aware that writing fiction is different. It is for me, anyway. I guess I became a combination of planner and pantser. 

Plantser?? I’ll see how it goes.

·       “It is as if (when writing) I were watching a story being unfolded on a bright screen…..I am merely a sightseer, a reporter, an interpreter, whatever you like to call me.” - Enid Blyton

I wonder what Enid Blyton would have made of the on-screen adaption of Malory Towers; literally watching the story unfold.

Abbie and I discussed ‘book vs screen’, and we agreed that much of the screen version was as we’d imagined it might be.

I am merely a sightseer, a reporter, an interpreter, whatever you like to call me.

As Christian writers, whether of fiction or of non-fiction, of overtly Christian material or not, we don’t write alone. We have God. God who is our guide, our help, our refuge.

God, who answered Moses’ doubts about speaking (Exodus 4); ‘It’s ok. I’ll tell you what to say.’

Moses was to pass on – or report - God’s words. Words he heard through spending time in God’s presence.

May we, too, spend time with God and so be enabled to pass His words on.

Before a word is on my tongue - or pen, or keyboard - you, LORD, know it completely.

Psalm 139:4

Comments

  1. Oh I loved Malory Towers too and I didn't know it have been made for TV. I'll have to check it out! And I like the idea of being a planster. I think it describes my style very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on iPlayer, Joy. It's brilliant. I hope you can watch it. Nice that you're a plantster, too, (especially as I know you write fiction, great encouragement for me there!); welcome to the club!

      Delete
  2. Love the Psalm! Most of my books were written with me being a plantser. I enjoyed Enid Blyton's MaloryTowers in 1993/4 but I wasn't hooked on her style Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. It's lovely to discover more plantsers!

      Delete
  3. I adored Enid Blyton as a child. Not sure there is a book of hers I didn't read! Although I would question some of the attitudes portrayed even then.
    Those boarding school stories are quite the powerful theme, aren't they? Look how Harry Potter follows on from Malory Towers and the Chalet School. I wonder why they speak to the majority of us who would never experience that? Aspirational perhaps? The range of characters? Or perhaps the sense of community that we may have longed for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Harry Potter, but yes, the theme follows on from Malory Towers and Chalet School. Really interesting question you pose, why they speak to those of us who will never experience that? I don't know. I never aspired to the experience in reality, but in my imagination I 'really' lived it all!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is good post, I have also seen this information here, gb windows high wycombe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I devoured them as a child and loved them too! As you say, some of Blyton's attitudes and language is very much of the past, but a cracking story with strong characters will always be engaging. I had never heard that quote from her and I love it! I am an unashamed pantser in all areas of my writing, I fear. I might try planning something and see how it goes. Worth a bash. Thanks for a really entertaining blog, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. I'll be interested to know how planning goes for you! But definitely be an unashamed pantser; it works really well for you, don't change too much :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm often surprised by what my characters get up to, or the unexpected obstacles they face. Although I have a sort of structure laid out. Does that make me a plantser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it does. Definitely. Welcome to the club - our membership is growing.....!

      Delete
  7. Loved this post Emily. I'm more of a pantser but I do plan a bit these days. I love the thought of you and your sisters and that big dog playing Malory Towers together! I will definitely look this up on iplayer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Emily! I adored all Enid Blyton's books and loved the Malory Towers series! I would love to watch them! Where can I find them and do they have subtitles? I love your post and am full of excitement about your new fiction writing! I think I must be a plantser myself! thanks for such a fab post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Malory Towers is on iplayer and yes, it has subtitles. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. I loved Enid Blyton as did my daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment