MAY WE MIDRASH? By Bobbie Ann Cole


Last week, Brendan Conboy raised with me on his Creative Christians Chat Show Podcast the issue of whether it is okay to write midrash. He wasn’t sure it was kosher.


Midrash is a Hebrew word that means from (mi) exposition (drash) It is putting flesh on the Bible’s bare bones. It’s not surprising that the Bible is skeletal, given the work and cost of handwriting on vellum in ancient times. Midrash explains and deepens the text.

SINCE ANCIENT TIMES


It can take the form of commentary or story. Midrash actually goes back to ancient priests, rabbis and scribes who, through the centuries, have hotly debated and interpreted every line of the Bible, initially orally but written down in what would become a wordy collection of tomes in the 2nd century AD.


Christians have also long debated texts and their meanings, with midrashic apocryphal stories emerging, such as Mary Magdalene who was long portrayed as a penitent prostitute, without any biblical evidence for this assumption.

Midrash may appear to be a current trend. Here are some current and upcoming offerings:

·      I am writing Messiah’s Mother, about Mary’s painful journey to disciple (see Acts1),

·       Natasha Woodcraft is publishing The Wanderer Scorned about Cain and Abel,

·       Caroline Greville’s book Gospel Voices is about early Christians in Jaffa who knew Tabitha, raised from the dead by Peter in Acts 9.

(All three of us are ACW members. Brendan, too, BTW.) 



A SIN?

Some might call it a sin to try to make sense of the holy Word of God by creating characters such as Natasha, Caroline and I are doing, or as the popular movie series The Chosen is doing.

We all call our offerings fiction. Once you take a real person and calc emotions and positions on them, you have no other choice. It is okay to do this?

My answer, when Brendan questioned me out of the blue about midrash was that it has always existed and is not some new violation of sacrosanct text. I suppose I assumed that was enough: as someone with a Jewish background, I jumped to the conclusion that Jewish ‘men of the cloth’ of old had authority. If they could do it, then it was alright for me.  

Not every Christian is going to agree with that. What do you think?

TAKING A POSITION

I think midrash can take us deeper into a narrative, giving us more empathy for the plights and delights of the characters. Whether through the medium of prose, poetry, devotional or film, midrash opens the story world and ancient culture, so we can put ourselves there.

We have to take a position. We may not say in the middle of a story that maybe a character did this or that. People may not agree with our choices, but our aim is that the reader/viewer should be stimulated to consider their own view.

We may smash some assumptions. Here are a couple of popular examples with possible alternative interpretations::

·       In the Old Testament, Miriam and Aaron deplore Moses’ Cushite wife, (Num.12). The assumption is they were racists because Cushites were black. However, Cushites were famously successful and wealthy, (like, much later, the slave of the Candace in Acts 8). Perhaps Miriam and Aaron saw Moses as marrying too far above his station?

·       The Samaritan woman whom Jesus brought to faith in Himself at the town well (John 4) may have been more unfortunate than a slut. The man she was living with was not her husband: he may have been some relative shouldering responsibility for her since she had the misfortune to be a widow many times over: “You have had five husbands,” (Jo 4:17-18). This interpretation makes more plausible her knowledge of Samaritan and Jewish theology and the fact that the town listened and acted upon her invitation to, “Come see.”

When Natasha, Caroline and I take a position about how people acted and felt as well as about their surroundings back in the day of the Bible, we do so thoughtfully, so that the Bible’s message becomes three-dimensional and more deeply understood.

To me, what is most important about discovering and sharing my take on Jesus’ time is the opportunity to draw my readers closer to the marvelous human being the Son of God on earth was. That is what fires my quest to write about Mary.   

Bobbie Ann Cole is a Christian writer, speaker and teacher. Get on the list to receive notifications about her forthcoming Mainly About Mary blog. Find out more about her bestselling books, courses and coaching to help you write the book God has put on your heart at http://bobbieanncole.com/.

Comments

  1. Hi Bobbie, this is a great explanation of Midrash. As I mentioned in the podcast, I am rapidly changing my view and seeing the benefit of this genre. If it was good enough for the old Rabbis, it should be good enough for any of us. The Wanderer Scorned was a real eye opener and before that, I read Captive's Crown, by Sophia Anyanwu. Many years ago, I also read Devil's Island by John Hagee, which I loved. This is about John's time on Patmos and it was fabulous. I look forward to reading Messiah's Mother when it is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Midrash fascinating and challenging. I'd love to read John Hagee's 'Devil's Island'. I have read 'The Wanderer Scorned'. I'll look out for Sophia Anyanwu's 'Captive's Crown' too. I am busy with rewrites to 'Messiah's Mother' right now.

      Delete
  2. This is very interesting. I loved 'The Wanderer Scorned' and 'Captive's Crown'. I thought both brought the bible stories alive in a new way. For me they filled in the background and context and helped me to imagine myself into the situations and dilemmas the characters are confronted with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the point, Sheila, you are right. Of course, we need to be aware that what we are consuming is someone's 'take' on situations, even perhaps the book's setting. But this kind of writing can certainly get us thinking.

      Delete
  3. As a Bible fiction author myself, I see great benefit in expanding scripture. Using storytelling and God given imagination, we can bring the Bible to life in a way people enjoy. My experience is that both my novels have led people to dig deeper into Gods word. That’s the feedback that lifts my spirit when people tell me how they had to go and read the story for themselves in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvelous to think that our work can actually get people reading the Word! Joyful.

      Delete
  4. The first books in this genre I ever read were The Robe and its sequel The Big Fisherman by Lloyd G. Douglas. Have you read them?
    I have also had a go at retelling Bible stories as blog posts. Natasha's book is fascinating and Sophia's is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think of these books by Douglas, Sue. Was there anything about them that you thought went beyond the bounds of interpreting Scripture? I have read Natasha's book and loved it. Sophia's I shall take a look at as soon as I can. I am hoping she will ask me for a slot to read it on FAB CHOW. Or am I getting mixed up with her new book?

      Delete
  5. Have left a comment on the Facebook discussion of this! I like your take in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare. I saw it and agreed with you when I responded to it.

      Delete
  6. As another biblical novelist (Rain) in this discussion, I agree with Bobbie's musings. For me, as I begin a story, the bones of the tale is the scriptural account. Anything that is clearly written, is truth, not to be changed. If something is open to interpretation, however, I may take a position. I'm looking for a biblical theme (or themes) to thread throughout the story - redemption, forgiveness, mercy, trust, waiting. I layer in history and culture. I pick characters, historical or fictional, with reasons for being in the story who have flaws - often my own. :) And away I go. My purpose is to point readers back to the Bible. To answer their own questions - what is true, what is fiction. Hopefully all is TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your strategy, Dana, and your purpose. With Messiah's Mother, what I have been trying to produce, within the biblical frame of what we know about Mary, has been my take on how she must have felt to have become 'woman' rathe than 'Mum'. It is based on my own experience of empty nesting and I dare say on that of many. My aim has been through this to explore who Mary might really have been. I have just had my developmental editor point out that I need to focus on that story, rather than on including everything that is said about Mary in the Bible - I feel this to be valid an helpful.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree completely. I left out some battles, for example.

      Delete
    3. I am really looking forward to re-outlining now. I feel kind of liberated that I don't have to follow everything as it happened, that I can focus on my story. At the same time, I know that the scenes I have written that won't make it into the book help me to know my character in a more profound way.

      Delete
  7. CORRECTION REGARDING CAROLINE GREVILLE: Jaffa and the Early Church feature in 'The Unfinished Story' rather than in her work, 'Gospel Voices' as I state above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Midrash is an exciting adventure into writing. Putting flesh on the bones of biblical characters. Only God can give such inspiration as he did with Moses. Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that to bring a Bible passage to life so we can really see it is a blessing. However, we need to be cautious of misinterpretation, particularly, as I have highlighted here, overlaying the past with assumptions we make about the present. I often wonder what they will make in 1000 years of expressions we readily understand: 'He doesn't smoke', or 'She doesn't drink,' for instance.

      Delete
  9. I love Midrash! I used to do it all the time when I was a Methodist local preacher - it can really bring a text alive for a congregation. Obviously it's important to read a bible text in context, takig into account other texts, traditions, history, social history, etc, which can shed some light on the story, but I think it's a great way to get deeper into the story, and to discover more about the characters, by imagining and 'filling in the gaps'. And not only that, as you say, it can dispel the (usually patriarchal) myths that have been preached as 'truth' for centuries. One of my favourites is the Samaritan woman who meets Jesus at Jacob's well. I preached on this once from the pov of Levirite marriage and the woman's apparent barrenness, and at the end a rather tall distinguished man in a dog-collar - apparently an academic theologian - shook my hand and said he'd never thought of it like that before and was going to re-read his Bible as a result! I'm thinking of re-writing her story one day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops - forgot to add my name to the comment above. It was me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Jude. I love that you have preached midrash and would like to find out more about that. What a great idea to mix the Samaritan woman who had 5 husbands with the story in Mark about the woman who had 7 husbands, all brothers, that the Pharisees tried to trip Jesus up with!

      Delete
  11. Tokunbo Emmanuel4 August 2022 at 12:21

    Interesting... so I have Midrashed before, when i wrote about the woman the well! Às long as we are true to the text and focusing on Christ, I think it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman at the well seems to captivate so many of us, perhaps because she is a conundrum - showing up in possibly slovenly fashion at lunchtime to get the water others draw at dawn and yet an expert theologian!

      Delete
  12. Without realising it, I'm a big fan of midrash and also do it too! Well, I used to when I led the Cafe Church services at my old church. I would always take a Bible story and re-tell it in modern times (the woman at the well being one). The reaction from the congregation (mainly those who didn't usually come to church) was always heartening. Fascinating blog, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman at the well comes up for us so often. Why is this? Is it because she really engages in her conversation with Jesus in a way we would like to? Is there dialogue like this anywhere else in the Gospels? Nothing comes to mind, beyond Jesus' sermon at the Last Supper in John and that of course wasn't a conversation. I am glad you found this post interesting, Ruth.

      Delete
  13. Great explanation, Bobbie and good discussion. I love story and often wonder about some of the details between the lines in Scripture. Somewhere it says that if everything Jesus did were to be written down, the world would not be able to contain it all. So it is left for us to imagine, and especially when we have met Jesus for ourselves and become children of our heavenly Father. I'm sure the Holy Spirit helps you Biblical fiction writers to do just that, to bring alive the other characters and let them speak to us. Francine Rivers does this very well, but, as you say, so do many ACW members - in Captive's Crown and Leaving Bethany for example. I can't wait to read Messiah's Mother and Natasha's amazing sounding book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you have mentioned there are the beautiful closing word of John's Gospel 21: 25 "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." How wonderful to let our thoughts take us back to Jesus' life and his world and colour in the black and white outlines.

      Delete

Post a Comment