Washing her feet

 






 


A snow storm found me deputising for the carer at a moment's notice. We came to the foot washing ceremony, a novel experience for both. Suddenly I was impacted by the symbolism, recalling how Jesus had taken the servant role by washing the feet of his disciples. As I knelt before 95-year-old Mum in this act of humble service, all kinds of scenarios started to flit through my mind.

These were the feet that had walked her to the altar in her teens to be confirmed; when she made the christian commitment that lasted all her life; when she asked God to chose her future husband. They were the feet that took her to Dad's garage to ask for driving lessons. Aged 18, they danced for joy on her wedding day – only to be disapproved of by some old school family Methodists! Those feet thundered upstairs in

anger when we played around as children instead of going to sleep: they fetched me back when I ran away from home after a fierce clash of wills.

The very same feet accompanied me to the airport when I left for Sierra Leone – reluctant to let me go. She fell apart the minute my plane took off, I learned later. They journeyed faithfully to meet me when I returned a complete mess, slamming the door on all the festivities she had arranged to welcome me home. They laboured on alone when she needed the help I failed to give.

My professional eyes kicked in and noticed the deformities, the blemishes. Forty years of osteoarthritis had taken their toll. Now twisted painfully out of shape, some toes had red rub marks, others were bandaged where the podiatrist had performed minor surgery on corns. I kicked into bossy daughter mode to deliver a lecture on 'Suitable Footwear'. She smiled at me. There was no pain just now. Her feet had been like this for ages. She loved the shoes we bought last week. She would let me know if problems arose.

I finished washing and drying the feet, thoughtful and oh so grateful. How patient she was with me! And how crotchety I had been with her on occasions. Yesterday I even forgot it would have been their seventy-seventh wedding anniversary! 

The feet walked slowly back to her chair and we enjoyed a cuppa together, happy to have shared a brief 'God moment' in a very ordinary day.



Footnote:  Thanks to Rosemary for requesting this substitute blog. It felt like another special 'God moment' because it is two years to the day since Mum died. Her Care Home was three weeks into a lockdown that prohibited contact with her much loved family. 

Such a privilege to be able to post this on Maundy Thursday in tribute to a wonderful Mum.


Eileen Padmore retired some time ago from health care and academia with a vow to indulge in writing

more creatively and less academically. Her background in Africa, Eire, Northern Ireland (in the troubles) as well as inner city Birmingham and Leeds provides plenty of copy. She has had articles published by Woman Alive, Christian Writer and contributed to the popular ACW Lent book.

Eileen operates a dynamic prayer shawl ministry under the name of Tabitha. You can read about it here.



Comments

  1. Lovely post, Eileen. Much I can identify with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. A friend has just thanked me for posting because she and her (very adult) daughter have just realised, for the first time, something important that they have in common! Great to have appreciation and acknowledgement whilst you're both still on the planet!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for stepping in, Eileen. What a loving post! We clash with our parents because we love them and what they think, and how they react, matters to us.
    My own mother would have been 100 tomorrow, although she sadly only made it to 50. I’m planning to mark the day somehow, possibly by looking out a few photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mother / daughter bond is unique, I think xx

      Delete
  3. Hey, Eileen, you were quite a spirited youth! Thank you for this lovely touching post. On this day, I wish you a joyous golden memory of your mum. My mum left at 70 and it was sudden and it left me grieving for years. You had the previlege of seeing your mum in her grand old age. She must have really blessed you in those final years. I believe she might have clocked a 100 if covid had not kept her away from her dutiful loving daughter and the rest of the family. May she continue to rest in perfect peace in our Lord's bossom, knowing that some glorious day, she'll meet with you and the family again. Beautiful post.Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia. Yes, I was a sad trial, especially in my teens. The carer / cared-for relationship pushed us to the limit at times. She was soo.... stubborn and independent. Once, I apologised for being 'horrible' on occasions. Her response was 'but you only did it when you had to!' A bit of role reversal I think.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful post and a loving tribute to your Mum. It takes special moments like these to remind us how to love well. So apt for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, it seemed like a happy 'co-incidence' to be able to post this today.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joy, it seemed like a happy 'co-incidence' to be able to post this today.

      Delete
  5. How beautiful. Caring for parents as they age brings with it moments of frustration, but what a lovely memory you created.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2022/04/blogging-from-to-z-2022-listening.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great piece, Eileen! A really original way to talk about a person and to reflect on their life, and so moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a movingly honest and timely piece, Eileen. You write with such refreshing honesty; a quietly liberating read. I have to ask though…what’s the story behind the ‘fierce clash of wills’?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh |Eileen, I am so glad now that I had to pull out of my regular 14th post this month. I knew it was the right decision for me but how wonderful that it was also right for you. Another God moment.
    I cared for my own mum and I remember so well those precious times. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful memory, Eileen - a wonderful perspective on a life, through her precious feet. How often I am so grateful for these feet too. I never want to take them for granted, yet they are oft the most neglected.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment