Five suggestions for writing inclusive fiction, by Deborah Jenkins


 It is a more inclusive world today than the one I grew up in. When I first started writing, I saw few people of colour in the media, visited no shops or restaurants with ramps, knew of no female clergy. Life and work was conducted, in the main, in the interests of white middle class able people in gender-specific roles and there were few exceptions on the TV, or in the books I read.

But very occasionally, there was something. I remember being deeply affected watching The Miracle Worker, the biographical film about Anne Sullivan, blind tutor to Helen Keller. As you may know, Helen lost her sight and hearing after an illness at 19 months old. Anne taught her how to communicate and Helen went on to become an author, disability rights advocate, political activist and lecturer. The film was made the year I was born and I remember watching it as child of 8 or 9, and being profoundly moved.

This description from Helen's biography, the moment she realised the motions Anne was making on one hand, symbolised the cool water running on the other, is profoundly moving: -

'I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motions of her fingers. Suddenly, I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten - a thrill of returning thought, and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I know then that w-a-t-e-r meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. The living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, set it free!'

Today there is more support for people with disabilities but we still have a very long way to go in terms of inclusion. In some ways, it feels as though we're still light years away from seeing fully accessible communities and workplaces and increased disability representation in areas like the media and politics. However, there are many committed and hard-working advocates for inclusion out there. Surely Christians should be involved in this too. And how can we as Christian writers play our part?

Writing inclusive fiction isn't easy. Sometimes we feel ill equipped to represent people so different from ourselves for fear of being tokenistic or, worse, ignorant. We feel we just don't know enough about what it's like to live in their shoes. But we writers live inside other people's heads all the time. We can learn, ask questions, do research. 

In addition to this, we can plan to be more inclusive as we think about our writing. How are we going to represent society as it really is, peopled with a vast range of interesting, unique, vibrant individuals doing and being all kinds of things in all kinds of ways?

Here are some suggestions with examples from ACW writers who have achieved this: -

  • When planning the first draft, think about including diverse characters from different cultural and class backgrounds. Apart from anything else, it can make for more interesting relationships. Katherine Blessan does this well in her book, Home Truths with Lady Grey which explores the relationship between a white middle class career woman and her Iranian carer who is married to a working class man
  • Don't always use gender-specific stereotypes. Make the vicar female, her daughter a flight engineer, her son a stay-at-home dad. If writing about bible characters, aim to amplify underrepresented voices. Lucy Rycroft's wonderful Deborah and Jael book seeks to model strong biblical females to young children
  • Include people with disabilities, both seen and unseen. In my book, Braver, there are characters with mobility issues, anxiety, OCD and on the autistic spectrum. I am partially sighted and severely deaf and would love to see people like me represented in some of the books I read. I think most people would. Emily Owen's books, Still Emily and My Diary, do this beautifully
  • Make people life-like by ensuring protagonists don't always seem 100% together. Include their foibles and weaknesses legitimising struggles with things like mental health and body image, commonly found today. Fran Hill does this well in Miss What does Incomprehensible mean?
  • Show how your characters develop as a result of interacting with people different to themselves, their own worldview challenged so they're obliged to change. Ruth Leigh does this effectively with her Isabella Smugge character

The publishing industry is doing its part. Many say they particularly welcome submissions from underrepresented groups. Many publishers also employ people to do a 'sensitivity edit'. I had one of these for Braver and I'm so glad I did. In my efforts to include people of different cultures and experiences, I inadvertently wrote a few things that could have been misinterpreted. I was glad to have them pointed out to me.

These are all small steps and we may take them anxiously, worrying we 'won't do it right'. But if we try, with help and over time, we will play a small part in helping to create the kind of inclusive, accepting society that Jesus told us to work for - a little bit of heaven on earth.  

Who knows? Although Helen Keller meant it another way, perhaps our words, in a short story or novel, could one day be a piece of the puzzle causing others to say, 'I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten - a thrill of returning thought...The living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, set it free!'

With thanks to Pixabay for the above images

Deborah Jenkins is the author of textbooks, educational articles and a novellaThe Evenness of Things, available in paperback and as a kindle e-book. 


Her novel, Braver, will be published on 30 June 2022 by Fairlight Books. You can read more about it, and pre-order via the publisher here or on Amazon. You can read a review and author interview about Braver here 


Deborah wonders aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate on her blog stillwonderinghere.net








Comments

  1. Wise and helpful words - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing about inclusion. Reading books by people who are different to ourselves is also extremely useful: bookshops (eg Waterstones) today are stocking a large number of books in translation as well as of course by authors who write in English but are, say, from Pakistan or Sudan. Yesterday as it happens I watched a documentary where Bernadine Evaristo, who grew up in London and whose mother was Irish and her father from Ghana, talked about her writing career, as a Black woman. (It's on iPlayer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed that about bookshops too, Clare. Thanks a lot for mentioning the Bernadine Evaristo documentary. I will really enjoy watching that :)

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant, Debbie. Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan, I believe, once stayed at the farm where I was brought up, according to my father, but this was many years before I was born. Of course, with inclusion, even women being included in literature took many years - look at the Bronte sisters having to call themselves male names in order to be published! My book, Waireka, being about New Zealand includes the indigenous people, the Maoris, and I would hope, in a sympathetic, inclusive way. Thank you for raising this issue in your post. I think it's a bit of a minefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it can be, Sheila, and I really wish more people I know would talk about it! How amazing re your Helen and Anne and your farmhouse! Their story is so very moving and a real testimony to the capacity of our God-given human spirit for tenacity and hope. Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. Thought provoking post! I don't think I purposely thing about writing inclusively, but then some of my characters are damaged souls! I guess because I write redemptive stories. The Pilgrim includes a whole bunch of damaged people, emotionally or physically. Some find healing - some don't (no spoilers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you are sensitive to people and their differences, it's possible to write inclusively without really planning to, if I know what you mean! Thanks for your comment, Joy :)

      Delete
  5. What a great blog, Deborah. I've just finished Braver and you do indeed include plenty of people from all walks of life which is great. Thanks for the mention. That was a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are most welcome :) It was interesting with Braver as I didn't particularly plan it to be that way. It just came out! But one of the things the publisher said they liked about it was that is was so inclusive, so I thought it was worth writing a post about what that might look like. I think many publishers are keen on this approach these days - quite rightly. Thanks a lot Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog post, and on a very important issue that demands our attention now in a way it didn't before, mistakenly so. Thanks for the mention of 'Incomprehensible'. 'Braver' is a super example of a novel that champions inclusivity without being too self-conscious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great post, Deborah. Inclusion is both vital and tricky - so we need this reminder of how to do it with sensitivity. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this as I was reminded of Tiny Tim in Charles Dicken's Xmas Carol.Recently too, reading Maressa Mortimer's Burrowed, the famale characters play top leading roles and one of the major characters is disabled. Also in the Healing knife by Joy Margetts, the doctor is a heroine. I guess I read books without the consciousness of inclusion because when I write, I'm not thinking along that line. Yet somehow, I have written about female characters who are pastors[Prophetess], characters from all walks of life but never of one who is handicapped! This is food for thought for us writers. Thank you so much for this great post, Deborah! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these interesting observations, Sophia :)

      Delete
  10. This post has so much depth to it, Deborah. Thank you for including the Helen Keller quote, so moving. I find it fascinating that Stephen King's The Stand, written in 1978, had some one who was deaf and another character who had learning disabilities, as two of the main characters and heroes in the book, and that was in 78! Will you be selling your book at WOWIG? Would love a signed copy! Blessings, Martin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've not read that Stephen King book, Good for him! Thanks a lot for your comments, Martin. Yes, I will be selling copies of Braver at WOWIG and look forward to signing a copy for you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment