Verses for Easter by Sheila Johnson

 A few years ago, pre-pandemic, we went to Spring Harvest. I took part in a seminar to inspire us with new ideas for writing, drawing, making music, whatever moved us. I found myself writing two poems to God, one a Haiku and one a worship, celebration poem to the Holy Spirit. They were both published in 2016 in an online worship anthology called 'Stones before the Ocean'. Hopefully, as I own the copyright, I will be okay to publish them here if I acknowledge my source (available on Amazon UK and Amazon US) edited by Daniel Paul Gilbert.


It was a collection including not only modern poets but poets from the past too, including Robert Herrick, Samuel Taylor Coleridge - my poems were included beside John Newton and Robert Bridges. What an honour!

Easter Haiku

Nail scarred hands
Crucified, left to die
That first Good Friday.

Dying for you and me
His separation from the Father
Love pierced him through,

Blood running like water
Pouring out new life
He paid the price.

No end to this story
Rising again in glory
And death itself, died.

And...

The Holy Spirit's Creed

I believe in the life giver, 
risk taker, power maker, 
shaker of souls, Holy Spirit.

I believe in the convictor, mixer
maker of souls, one who controls,
breath and voice of God, Holy Spirit. 

I believe in the present of the presence, 
essence of life, eternal, infernal, 
burning power, Holy Spirit.

I believe in you, Holy Spirit, 
help my unbelief and in grief
of my doubts, renew me from inside out, 
create and remake me, blessed Holy Spirit. 

A few thoughts for Easter....











Sheila Johnson lives in Cheltenham and is a qualified journalist who has written for a number of publications both local and national. She has also written two books under her pen name Sheila Donald, Alpha Male and Waireka. Her website can be found at www.journojohnson.com


Comments

  1. Hey Sheila,have you joined the TRELLIS group - the ACW poery group? Wow! These poems are so good! Congrats too for your poems being on the anthology. What touching and marvellous words you have in both poems!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should, Sophia. Thank you. However, my poetry isn't always as good as these!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sophia. You should! Beautiful poems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I brought this anthology a few years ago on my kindle and I love the variety of poems that are on here. I adore your Holy Spirit Creed. Full of passion, love and truth. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila these are beautiful words- from your heart to the throne.
    Leslie Moon

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely. I've committed to reading my Bible daily this year instead of reading a Lenten devotional this year, but a devotional using poetry would be nice. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2022/04/blogging-from-to-z-2022-joy.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous poems Sheila. I too love the Holy Spirit one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Sheila. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment