Mary at the cross

 We know the end of the Easter story.

Yet, we cannot brush past the horrific events of the day Jesus died. Thinking about it closely brings up raw, uncomfortable feelings, yet think about it we must because it is essential to our faith. As Christians we need to understand.

So this Good Friday I think of those who were present at the cross, watching his death. I think especially of Mary, His mother. Having been present at my own adult son’s death, I have an inkling of how it would have felt for Mary. Maybe amongst her sorrow she saw the waste of a good man’s life - all that potential in her wonderful son who had been so popular. And so unique, special, God’s son. No more healing of the sick, preaching God’s truths, challenging hypocrisy in His own loving, wise way.

Here is how Ren Smith describes it in the last verse of her poem ‘Mary at the Cross’*


Even as I am writing this and thinking of Mary’s horror, fear and grief, my mind is trying to race forward to the end of the story of Easter, trying to balance the devastation with the glory and joy of Christ’s resurrection.

I praise God that Christ’s death has overcome the finality of our mortal death and I know that one day I shall see my son again.

Yes, we know the end of the story.

* Poems and More Poems by Ren Smith 

Annie Try is the pen-name of Angela Hobday. She writes Christian contemporary novels.

Comments

  1. How touching and beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poignant post. Thank you for sharing your heart and hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't really thought about Mary in this way before. Thank you for your words and for being so honest. You certainly will have an understanding of her desperation as she watched Jesus die so young and for no apparent logical reason. She was only human and was given very little information about the purpose of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure, as anyone can be, that Simeon's words about a sword piercing Mary's own soul must have haunted her on that first Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you, Annie, for sharing a mother's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The finality at that moment caused a great darkness. I cannot fathom the misery that each who loved Jesus felt we get to bask in the hope.
    Happy Easter.
    Medical Needs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I sat beside my husband in gruelling pain a hospital bed, and I thought about Mary. Thank you for this lovely thoughtful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the Lord comfort you Veronica. May all that pain gets buried with our Lord this season.May you and your husband experience a resurrection of new health and life by the power of the resurrected power of our Lord Jesus Christ. AMEN.

      Delete
  8. God bless you Annie for this touching piece that has bared your past grief and loss. It would do the same for many others with a similar loss who read this as well. Thank you for also mentioning the gift of Easter - the final death of mortality and by this, we can have the hope of seeing our loved ones again some day! That poem is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it here. I don't know if you wrote a poem or poems for your son but I have been motivated to write a poem from Mary's perspective as well!! Beautiful post . Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment