Observing Trifles by Emily Owen

 


A special welcome to readers who only clicked on this blog because they are very into desserts. Custard, in particular. And cream. And sponge cake….

Sorry to disappoint, but this blog is not about that kind of trifle (insert pun about getting one’s just desserts).

Arthur Conan Doyle, the author who created the character Sherlock Holmes, said:

‘You know my method. It is founded on the observation of trifles.’

Trifles. The little things.

Much of writing could be said to be founded on observation, of so-called trifles and otherwise.

Much of my own writing – which is often devotional in style – draws on observation, but not of trifles (hence ‘so-called’ above).

Colossians 3:1a,2b:

…set your hearts on things above, where Christ is…..Set your minds on things above...

Set your minds on things above, set your hearts on things above; because that’s where Christ is.

Look for Jesus.

Jesus is here.

Right now.

We can see Him if we look and, as we do, we might find that the trifles (no, still not those trifles) in our lives are actually so-called trifles. Not trifling at all.

On Easter Saturday, I was playing hide-and-seek with my niece and nephew. A trifling thing to do, perhaps. For reasons still unknown to me, my nephew was the only ‘seeker’, and my niece and I hid together. Literally together, which was quite tricky, especially when I was required to squeeze into places a six-year-old can just about fit into.

As the game went on, and with the choice of places where an adult and a child could hide together being limited, we started reusing hiding places.

Once, we were squished behind the dining room door (again), and my nephew found us with ease.

“You found us quickly!” I said.

His response?

“That’s because I know your hiding places.”

Enter a so-called trifle.

I know your hiding places.

Do we hide? In life? Perhaps when things are not going well, or we’re worried about aspects of our writing, or about things we are being required to do, or when things are going well, or when we put things off.

Perhaps we hide.

Or perhaps those things make us feel hidden. Not really seen.

Either way, we are in a hiding place.

And it’s a place God knows.

Psalm 139: 1-3:

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

Think of a trifle (no, still not that kind) from your day. Might it actually be a so-called trifle? Perhaps you could write about it, or comment below.

Set your heart and mind on things above....


Comments

  1. Lovely as always! I am not a trifle fan (the pudding) but I do love the other kind. And you're so right - it's the little things that often motivate or inspire us in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I'm the same about trifles (both kinds!).

      Delete
  2. A lovely post on a theme I identify with: my main blog is Sue's Trifles and there is a post about the edible sort. Mostly it is non-fattening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the name of your blog until you reminded me! Glad it sticks to mostly non-fattening...

      Delete
  3. I love trifle but t haven't been able to eat it for years, as I am Lactose Intolerant. Somehow we think it is the big things that are going to inspire us, but more often that not it's the trifles. The throw away comments, the glimpses of a view from the window of a moving vehicle, the every day happenings. I love that God can use the trifles (can I have a dairy free brownie?) to help us encourage others. Lovely post as always, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Yes, 'more often than not it's the trifles'. Exactly. And of course you can have a dairy free brownie :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow!! Your post has triggered up my thoughts on other types of 'trifles' and their impacts:
    Little drops of water
    Chinks in the armour
    Achiley's heel
    5 loaves of bread
    etc
    Today, I did a dry fast from 6am to 6pm ! [ in prayers for my sister in law who has cancer] Thanks for the lovely post! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I like your list of 'trifles' - each one is so apt and meaning-full. Thank you for broadening the blog. Prayers for your sister-in-law.

      Delete
  5. How amazing. I have just written for the Five Minute Friday prompt on the theme of running and hiding. Which is here, if you are interested. https://dawnfanshawe.wordpress.com/2022/04/23/five-minute-friday-writing-prompt-run/
    But when I saw the yummy trifle, it brought to mind a greetings card that stated -
    'It is no coincidence the STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS' :D
    Observations of trifles. You lot are so good at it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. What a coincidence, that we both wrote about a similar thing, and on the same day. I read your blog, thank you for sharing the link - I found it powerful and moving, it really touched me. Oh yes, I'd forgotten about stressed/dessert!

      Delete
  6. I so love that Emily. You've hit the nail once again. I'm in a bit of a hiding place at the moment. It's comforting to know that God knows exactly where I am! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment